• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: POKEMON: Dark Rising

Years
  • Seen Mar 2, 2024
for the player sprites could i give you diamond playe sprites remade into gba size because they look quite good or heartgold sprites remade for gba?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
@ NO_Obslayer Sure, PM me the sprites I have a few questions to ask about em first.

@ Beyblader77 The beta will be released once I finish up the forth city map and events, change the titlescreen/introduction to game sprites/ and the trainer's back during a battle.

UPDATE:

A few random poke battles. The Battlebackgrounds will be changed before the final game is released.
zlxjsn.png
DW Poliwag & Vulpix.
16h7lht.png
A Rival Battle.
16kpcti.png
Emolga's sprite isn't that big, it just looks like that when a Pokemon uses U-turn.

Mostly every Pokemon has their DW(DreamWorld) ablities from the newer games. Being a former competitive battler, I know how much everyone loves to use Drought Vulpix & Drizzle Poliwag. So I decided to put both near the beginning of the game. Of course since the first gym is Fire, poliwag can be obtained right After the gym battle. Having Poliwag before it would be too easy. Unfortunetly, every rival has a signature dragon that the player cannot obtain in this hack. (Prepare for bad news...) Axew & Deino cannot be caught in this hack as they belong to 2 of your enemy/friend rivals.
The Team Thread for this hack is open for whomever would like to join in and help out. (Must be dedicated to it!)

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
UPDATE:

xdb2qd.png
The 4th City, Iceland City.
2igkvmq.png
Random battle near Iceland City.
1zu49z.png
LoL This is just something random. ZORUA can learn Transform in this game and I thought it would be a funny idea to at least try it...But I'll get KO'd before I get the chance.

The map for the 4th city is done. All that's left is the events and I will move on to the titlescreen. However, I'm having some issues with it. If anyone can direct me to a really good tutorial on here or a video tutorial on how to insert titlescreens and edit the introduction sprites(You know, when Prof.Oak talks at the beginning.) I'd like to learn from them. Or if anyone would like to assist me personally with inserting them, I would love that. PM me...

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
UPDATE:

xdb2qd.png
The 4th City, Iceland City.
2igkvmq.png
Random battle near Iceland City.
1zu49z.png
LoL This is just something random. ZORUA can learn Transform in this game and I thought it would be a funny idea to at least try it...But I'll get KO'd before I get the chance.

The map for the 4th city is done. All that's left is the events and I will move on to the titlescreen. However, I'm having some issues with it. If anyone can direct me to a really good tutorial on here or a video tutorial on how to insert titlescreens and edit the introduction sprites(You know, when Prof.Oak talks at the beginning.) I'd like to learn from them. Or if anyone would like to assist me personally with inserting them, I would love that. PM me...

Nice. Not to be rude but the why is Garchomp's mouth hanging out?

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
@ Tajaros- Why can't you finish yours?

@ MidnightShine- Idk maybe she's attracted to the Beartic over there? lol jk. It's Garchomp's B/W Back Sprite. Not the usual D/P one with it's mouth closed.

UPDATE:

345fscn.png
This snapshot is near the beginning of the game. Just as soon as you wake up from the dream mentioned in the story introduction.
2dgufxh.png
A small snapshot of FLAMEN CITY. The first gym battle is here.
24vu1x1.png
1fby9c.png
This is the player's Best Friend/Main Rival. Like the player, he is from FELLS CITY and journeys the CORE Region. You'll bump into him plenty of times, mostly with him talking to you about what he's seen so far. He'll choose one of the 3 Starter Dragons that you did not choose.

This is a List of ALL the Pokemon in the Hack. With the exception of KYUREM Black & KYUREM White. (A very small portion of these Pokemon cannot be obtained. The player will only be able to catch 1 Legendary. The rest are not catchable. The list is Finalized & won't be changed.)
fyzsk0.png

This is the only update for today as I have a college exam at the end of the week to study for. I'll be handing over this hack to Atif for the time being, as he'll be the one to fix any bugs and problems with the hack so far. He'll also be editing the things I could not do as of yet. Hopefully, I'll be able to release the beta Very Very Soon.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
@ NO_obslayer- Ash is already in the game. A picture of him shown helping you in the Brock event was posted already. Misty's event hasen't happened yet as I'm only moving on to the gap between the forth city and the fifth city. I'm trying to get most of the bugs and many tile errors out the way up until the 4th city cause that's how far the beta will go.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't really understand what you've got here.

It looks like you've just crammed as much in a possible, and it's played havoc with your story, from what I can see from the screens/what you've posted. The 'story' section of your thread itself is incredibly bland and tells me nothing.

Working my way down your first post we get to a big issue - the characters. Mario? Luigi? Yugi? ... Quagmire? Why even. If you're trying to make your own game, which from the looks of it you are, don't go making it some kind of comic relief cross over. They add nothing to the hack other than a 'wth is he doing here?' reaction.

Next: New moves. U-Turn? As far as I know nobody has put U-Turn into a 3rd Gen hack, because the mechanics of the move are pretty hard to replicate I imagine! If you can't promise features like these, don't put them in your first post.

On to the screenshots. For the most part, your mapping is bad. It's horrible square, empty and boring. Two houses, a layer of trees (which can be walked through) and a square pond? The palette in the Pokémon centre is totally mucked up, which I assume you did by accident because it looks terrible. The hero sprites look flat, all the custom sprites just look terrible I'm afraid - 'V' is the only one who is in the correct style and goes well.

The pokémon sprites you have put in, for the most part, are good quality. Which is good. However you might want to rethink what pokémon you are inserting. For instance, you have far too many legendaries. If they aren't obtainable it's going to be even more tiring. Only include the legendaries that are part of the story, and then 1-3 bonus ones (kind of like a legendary trio, at most). I also noticed Karrablast is included - Karrablast has a unique evolution path, so wouldn't it be better not to include it?

Also the tiles you are using are well inserted, but it looks like you need more snow tiles considering how bare the snow maps are.

----

Anyway, to sum up this mammoth post, it would be a good idea to finalise your story and pick what NEEDS to be included, and what you are throwing in just for the sake of it (IE Cameos outside of PKMN). Maybe have a look at some mapping tutorials, or post some maps in the map rating thread for feedback.

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
I don't really understand what you've got here....

As much as I hate to say it, I totally agree with Swiftsign. What you've got here is a jumbled mess. But jumbled messes can be fixed. It may take forever, but go through and just simplify, unjumble, and remake some parts of your story and/or graphics. It's obvious that you pieced together other sprites, and while this is not always bad, I'm afraid you didn't do it well. Try more common character colors besides flaming yellow hair and one-color clothes.

There's a lot of work that needs to still go into this, and I would say more but Swiftsign nicely summarized most of what I was going to say. So just go back, read his post again, let it sink in. All of what he said is true.

Years
While I think this hack has potential... I agree with Swiftsign. Incorporation of characters such as Mario and Yugi does sound sort of pointless... and I dislike how you can catch only one legendary... and look how many legendaries are in your Pokedex...

Im still excited for the release of the game.. but I hope you take into account what Swiftsign said above :D Best of luck with the completion!!

Years
Characters who have zero relation to pokemon need to go, like the characters swiftsign said. You also need to allow us players to be able to catch more than one legendary pokemon, because look at the other hacks that are out in full like light platinum, you can catch every legendary pokemon that been inserted.

I might as well say this, Gym Leaders should NOT have legendary pokemon on their teams, to me that is a big no no.

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
I don't really understand what you've got here.

It looks like you've just crammed as much in a possible, and it's played havoc with your story, from what I can see from the screens/what you've posted. The 'story' section of your thread itself is incredibly bland and tells me nothing.

Working my way down your first post we get to a big issue - the characters. Mario? Luigi? Yugi? ... Quagmire? Why even. If you're trying to make your own game, which from the looks of it you are, don't go making it some kind of comic relief cross over. They add nothing to the hack other than a 'wth is he doing here?' reaction.

Next: New moves. U-Turn? As far as I know nobody has put U-Turn into a 3rd Gen hack, because the mechanics of the move are pretty hard to replicate I imagine! If you can't promise features like these, don't put them in your first post.

On to the screenshots. For the most part, your mapping is bad. It's horrible square, empty and boring. Two houses, a layer of trees (which can be walked through) and a square pond? The palette in the Pokémon centre is totally mucked up, which I assume you did by accident because it looks terrible. The hero sprites look flat, all the custom sprites just look terrible I'm afraid - 'V' is the only one who is in the correct style and goes well.

The pokémon sprites you have put in, for the most part, are good quality. Which is good. However you might want to rethink what pokémon you are inserting. For instance, you have far too many legendaries. If they aren't obtainable it's going to be even more tiring. Only include the legendaries that are part of the story, and then 1-3 bonus ones (kind of like a legendary trio, at most). I also noticed Karrablast is included - Karrablast has a unique evolution path, so wouldn't it be better not to include it?

Also the tiles you are using are well inserted, but it looks like you need more snow tiles considering how bare the snow maps are.

----

Anyway, to sum up this mammoth post, it would be a good idea to finalise your story and pick what NEEDS to be included, and what you are throwing in just for the sake of it (IE Cameos outside of PKMN). Maybe have a look at some mapping tutorials, or post some maps in the map rating thread for feedback.

I understand what you're saying. I am by far, NOT a Good Mapper. However, I have someone who is really good, working on improving it alot. As far as the non-Pokemon characters, they're in this hack for the fun of it. None of them was going to be seen or mentioned more then once and play just a small role except Yugi who'll have 2 parts. That's what I was doing with this hack, making a really good story but also adding some humor (wth are you doing here?) to it. I'm not in this to make the "Greatest hack ever with perfect quality" or anything along that line. I made it for myself and decided to share it. But yes, Quagmire may be going. The move U-Turn has been given me issues, you're right on that. As sometime when a Pokemon uses it, it either hits the opponent but doesn't switch out. Or it switches out, but doesn't hit lol. So you're right, I may have to change that as it's some sort of issue going on. The person who added the moves in this hack said he put Baton Pass attack description and an attack. Moving on, I should have summerize the story section more. I will get to that soon. I understand the amount of Legendary Pokemon issue and after sorting things out, I agree. Most are only 1 time battles against them & it is taking up space. I did this hack (other then the OW sprites, some house tiles, and help with the attacks) all on my own. I'm getting better assistance now, which should improve everything. Thanks for given me this feedback, I appriciate it.

Edit Post-Karrablast is one of my favorite Pokemon and yes I know the way to evolve it is unique. However as I said, I made this hack for the fun of it & for my friends to enjoy. I just decided to share it here. So all pokemon who have a specific way of evolving that isn't available in 3rd gen will evolve by leveling up to a certain level.

Furthermore, unlike some other hacks, you can catch a good amount of 5th gen Pokemon. The reason why there are so many Legendaries in this hack, is because they're being controlled and the world is in chaos. Thus, making the voice in the dream (As stated in the first post) choosing you to STOP them, NOT catch them.

Everything has a purpose in the hack. (Except for Quagmire, Mario and Luigi. They're just for laughs and they are optional, so you don't have to talk to them.)

I will take as much criticism to improve my hack, but I would like it if no one tells me what to or not put in my hack. As I said, this is for enjoyment and isn't that the most important thing about making a hack? Having fun.

I thank each and everyone of your comments and criticism, I will take it to account. I have people to help me now so the hack can be better (than it originally was, which I improved on a lot). If you feel something is wrong, why not give me a hand? I could use it.

Last edited:

kebbles

Rom Hacker.
Years
Okay, now firstly..
To be honest the region name (This might just be me) but Core?
It needs to sound more exotic and real, I think I'm just being to picky on that one lol..

I like that your adding new music, its a good feature, but i think u should stick to just using Pokemon music, not Zelda.

I agree with what alot of other people have said about using Mario, Luigi, so on..
They don't belong in Pokemon games, If I wanted to see Mario I would play Super Mario Bro's lol.

I'll be intrested to see how you insert those new moves and how they turn out ;)

Your maps...
I don't need to say a thing as Swiftsign has beat me to it.

Maybe use the D/P garchomp back sprite, as the mouth does look funny and its made like that coz B/W has different frames.

I like that you gave Vulpix/Poliwag there DW abilities, nice idea.
I think the Rivals dragons should be caught, but maybe near the end of the game.

In the screen with speech, it should be like this..
*DR GIRL: I wonder what I'll do today...
(Next Line)That dream last night

The best friend rival looks bad, you choose some messed up colours..
Purple and Yellow, yuk..
Also maybe make a whole new person instead of just editing emeralds sprites?

Sorry, I could keep going but I have to leave lol..

*ON another note, I will make a few maps for you if you would like maybe only one or two, but they will be very good quality? I'm extremely busy with my hack otherwise I would help you more, I think people need to take it easy as I know how hard we all can take criticism sometimes. Pm me and let me know :) if not then good luck!

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Okay, now firstly..​

To be honest the region name (This might just be me) but Core?
It needs to sound more exotic and real, I think I'm just being to picky on that one lol..​

I like that your adding new music, its a good feature, but i think u should stick to just using Pokemon music, not Zelda.​

I agree with what alot of other people have said about using Mario, Luigi, so on..
They don't belong in Pokemon games, If I wanted to see Mario I would play Super Mario Bro's lol.​

I'll be intrested to see how you insert those new moves and how they turn out ;)​

Your maps...
I don't need to say a thing as Swiftsign has beat me to it.​

Maybe use the D/P garchomp back sprite, as the mouth does look funny and its made like that coz B/W has different frames.​

I like that you gave Vulpix/Poliwag there DW abilities, nice idea.
I think the Rivals dragons should be caught, but maybe near the end of the game.​

In the screen with speech, it should be like this..
*DR GIRL: I wonder what I'll do today...
(Next Line)That dream last night​

The best friend rival looks bad, you choose some messed up colours..
Purple and Yellow, yuk..
Also maybe make a whole new person instead of just editing emeralds sprites?​

Sorry, I could keep going but I have to leave lol..​

*ON another note, I will make a few maps for you if you would like maybe only one or two, but they will be very good quality? I'm extremely busy with my hack otherwise I would help you more, I think people need to take it easy as I know how hard we all can take criticism sometimes. Pm me and let me know :) if not then good luck!

Sure, I would appriciate a few maps from you after my mapper and my extra scripter finish editing on the rom. The maps & all the other issues being repeatively mentioned are all My doing. I'm not an expert with most hacking tools. However, I am getting help from ppl who Do know what they're doing better and will expand/revamp the errors I've done. Give it time & all of the problems will be resolved unless I like the idea personally and want it to stay. I respect the criticism, however as I said, I never planed on releasing this hack to everyone on a public website. Me and a few companions of mine do these for fun. I simply said "wth lol" and decided to make a thread. So if there are things a person personally doesn't like and want it to go, I would like that person to Work with me and I'll consider changing it.
BTW it's called Core Region because it's in the Center of the Pokemon Universe. Of course, I forgot to mention that in the story section so that's my fault.

Last edited:

DarkRisingGirl

Order Must Be Restored
Years
Remember the days when the progressing hacks section had nearly 2 pages of Active Hacks to check out? Now, you'll be lucky to have half of a page with active hacks being discussed. Let's be realistic, Rom Hacking has gone down over the past couple years. Sure, the technology of it has advance but the decline of hacks have dropped tremendously. Personally, I feel it's because ppl try So Hard these days to make a perfect hack with outstanding tiles and a flawless story, to the point where the hack itself never gets finished because of how much a person wants to make it perfect.(That and the fact some don't understand the person who is making the hack has a life outside of it.)
Look at Pokemon Fuligin in the Hacks Showcase. I LOVE that hack, it's funny, complete, and really awesome to play with a cool storyline. It didn't need any new tiles, alot of new OWs, or new Pokemon for ppl to enjoy it just as much as I did. It was a Fun game and it was Completely Playable. Same for Pokemon Snakewood. When it comes down to it, most just want to play a New Full Pokemon Hack. That's what I'm going to accomplish with the Now recent help of a really good mapper and scripter. Let the creator decide how they want the hack. And if you don't like it, there's over 20-30 other hacks to play with that may have the quality you desire.

Anyways lol. Sorry just rambling out my thoughts. I'll be updating the thread with newer pics and info after the mapper and scripter are done with their parts. I'll be busy til saturday...

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2015
I agree with you on that, whenever I see a completed hack I don't really care about much, I just check the Story to see if it's interesting and if it's complete I'm just like "**** yeah, let's play."

teejermiester

Minnesotan, you betcha!
Years
The only thing that we can really do to help "baby hacks" is to encourage them, like we do with every single one. It's unfortunate that we can't do more, but the final say goes to the person making the Hack whether or not it finishes.

Another thing is that while a great majority of Hack Players enjoy hacks like Fuligin and Snakewood, a great majority of actual PC identities do not. They want a hardcore pokemon game, not a comic relief game with decent mapping and a humerous storyline. Thats why you can see a lot of one-or-two-posters on POkemon Fuligin's page.

And if you really wanted help, I could do some maps or scripts for you...

Back