• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
Years
o.O What kind of bugs aew we talking about?

If you use scripts found in those areas, they will be deleted, ASM scripts you insert may not work at all, lots of things, you HAVE to use it, or you WILL get messed up.
(It will clean out everything, clearing the original scripts put in by Nintendo.)
Seriously, there is a reason JPAN said it works with his cleaned patch, because he made this ASM with it, this is best used when starting a NEW hack.

Thrace

@tion
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 2, 2016
This looks incredible. I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. I'll be sure to use this for my hack.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
If you use scripts found in those areas, they will be deleted, ASM scripts you insert may not work at all, lots of things, you HAVE to use it, or you WILL get messed up.
(It will clean out everything, clearing the original scripts put in by Nintendo.)
Seriously, there is a reason JPAN said it works with his cleaned patch, because he made this ASM with it, this is best used when starting a NEW hack.

Ok, so applying it to a pure, unhacked rom won't cause those bugs? :)

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
For anyone wondering, you should NOT apply this to a Clean Fire Red Rom, but instead, use JPAN's Clearing Patch, that clears out all of the scripts, signposts, and sprites in every map. Otherwise, some bugs may occur. You can find it in the OLD rom hacking thread, for those who can't find it anymore, here is a link.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=5005730&postcount=252
(That is his post.)

Well, actually, what I said was that this hack was made based on the Clean Patch I posted earlier. That means that applying this patch will do the same as the Clean Patch, that is, erasing all scripts from the original map. So, this patch should be appliable to any Fire Red rom, hacked or not, that doesn't use the old scripts.

That is because, at the slightest change in number of events, AdvanceMap will repoint them to 0x712000 and below, leaving the old ones behind. So only maps you left intact from the original game should be affected. Only detail I need to add, this patch will erase the almost always reused Pokecenter scripts (healing, linking). Take care if that happens to you. Those scritps are easy to find (and copy) from any not-patched game, but I will provide them together with the resources in the next release.

iTeruri

iAm
Years
There is onely one word to describe this: superawesomebestthingintheworldever.

Really, this will help me (and I'm sure many others) a lot. Especially the dynamic multichoice options, battle specials and swarming specials.

I got a few questions though:

Never mind. I tried it myself and I pretty much figured it out.

Last edited:

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years
Problem

Wow!!
I have to say,this is super cool!:D

But!..... It has problem(at least for me)... :(

When i use Fly or surf,it freezes the game!

Why it happens?

~sonic1~

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
When i use Fly or surf,it freezes the game!

Why it happens?

~sonic1~

That's odd. After reading this post, I tried with my a normal Fire Red and activated every needed flag. The sub-functions of the surfing and flying worked normally. Did you use a US Fire red ROM? I tried several ways of calling those functions, an they work.
Because I deleted the scripts, including level scripts, the worldmap_flags are not being set, so you can't fly anywhere on the just-patched ROM. But no freezes were found.

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Now heres an idea for ya ;)
U know the sethealingplace command?
since u already seem to know abunch about ASM
would you be able to change that one
OR be able to make it so that we can set
a var (for example lets use 0x7FFF)
the PC script would be: setvar 0x7FFF 0x[map bank] setvar 0x7FFE 0x[map number]
then alter the part that makes us scurry to the PC to simply warp us to the places specified in the two variables.
Just an idea.

Years
This is very nice,and start a new way of using ASM.
I've not read the manual yet because I'm on my phone.
But I guess I have to do it myself to make this engine work on JP roms and even R/S JP roms...

sonic1

ASM is my life now...
Years
Problem Resolved

Oh,i have now identified the problem.xD

It was because i had used a old save from another firered and because that,it was causing conflict!

But now that i started new game,its resolved! Thank you!:D

Your hacked engine is fantastic!

~sonic1~

score_under

Inactive; Former ROM hack tool author, ❤️
Years
since u already seem to know abunch about ASM
would you be able to change that one
OR be able to make it so that we can set
a var (for example lets use 0x7FFF)
the PC script would be: setvar 0x7FFF 0x[map bank] setvar 0x7FFE 0x[map number]
then alter the part that makes us scurry to the PC to simply warp us to the places specified in the two variables.
Just an idea.
Can't you just make it set those vars at the start of your hack and set the sethealingplace table pointer to those vars +8 ?

JPAN

pokemon rom researcher
Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2016
Er, I have a question.
How would I make an overworld have one of the new palettes that I made a new pointer to in the table, and what would I number the new palette?

In the palette table, the end is marked with 00000000 ff110000. if you place it after that line, it will not work. Also, if the above would be a palette, the 11ff would be the number of that palette. Almost all numbers are still available, so number it something like 0020 would be fine. Remember to place the finish line at the end of your new insertions, or the code will crash the game.

Unfortunately, the OW Editor does not support this new aditions, so the best way to make it is to be tricky.
Copy your ROM. That copy will be where you will replace the old sprites and palettes with your new ones. Edit the new sprite and frames to your liking. In the end, go to where that OW is (at the old OW data pointer, the first pointer at the OW table pointers), copy the OW data to the first ROM, and place a pointer to the OW data in your Overworld table. Don't forget to copy your frames from the Sprite pointer.
Now, the OW is in the game but the Palette is still be messed up. So, go the OW data and right after the FFFF bytes you find the palette. Replace it with the new one you inserted and try it out.

I have checked out the Sethealingplace command, and figured out how it worked. Your idea of the variables isn't too far off. It would require at least three variables, and the sethealingplace would only be necessary to determine the script that is called after the blackout (I checked out how it worked without such check, and it would always treat the are as a pokecenter, displaying the animation on such places as Blaine's head).
However, that change will still take some time to make.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2009
This looks amazing because it has one feature I've always wanted: variable wild/trainer pkmn level based on your current level.

After trying it out, I'm completely confused. I played it through and all of the events are gone (as expected). However, when I opened it on Advance Map I still see all the events there. I tried making an event and it didn't show up. It's almost as if all of the events are still present but simply "turned off." Mind helping an enthusiastic hacking noob out? I'm dying to play around with the level editor thing.

bigfatgranny

Pokemon Shadow's Haze.
Years
That's weird? I never got an error with mine. But for everyones info this takes out EVERY script. Including the ability to nickname pokemon. But this is easy to fix. Just insert it from a clean rom.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2009
That's weird? I never got an error with mine. But for everyones info this takes out EVERY script. Including the ability to nickname pokemon. But this is easy to fix. Just insert it from a clean rom.

I've been doing research and I'm wondering if I'm missing something important. I'm using XSE and Advance Map, but I'm beginning to think that maybe I need to be using a different program or something.
With Advance Map, all of the scripts are there in the game, they just don't seem to activate / show up when I start the rom.

Back