• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Microsoft Edge

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
microsoft-edge-mozilla.jpg

Wanted to do a separate thread on this (amazingly awesome) browser that came out along with Windows 10. Reminder that all general windows 10 discussion has its own thread. This is only about the new Edge browser.

To be quite honest, not only I am amazed by the clarity of the browser, but the speed. It starts up a lot quicker than Chrome or Firefox, and it's less of a hogger. Since it's a relatively new browser, there's still a lot of work to be put in. I'm still waiting for an adblock extension.

What are everyone's thoughts on Edge?

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
Years
I was under the impression that ad block protection was already installed with the browser? The option to read the page without the ads and other tabs, etc, really makes for a much better reading experience, Never was I a fan of Internet Explorer because it was always laggy and very unappealing: however, I'm shocked with how minimalistic and fast the browser is. I'm set on making Edge my dedicated browser! Good job to the developers.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 30, 2015
I wasn't expecting much from Edge but was pleasantly surprised by the speed and simplicity it offered. As soon as it gets dedicated extension and plugin support, it will be my primary browser. Sure it can 'support' Chrome's extensions but I'll wait for its exclusive addons.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think Edge was pretty good, it opened quite fast than any browsers that I used so far, it even passed Acid3 test (100/100), and so far I'm breezing with the browser. I do wish Edge will add more features like notification system, extension and all, though.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
Microsoft Edge you are so awesome! It is super fast even than Chrome.More Features need to be added but now It has already surpassed Chrome, Firefox etc.
Anyways Hoping for More Better!

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Edge is pretty fast, but I have a few extensions I can't live without, and for general usage Chrome will stay as the default browser. But I liked how "pretty" Edge is.

IE already had better Netflix streaming capability than Chrome, so MS may build upon that foundation and deliver the ideal browser...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Edge loads in real time with no lags or sudden hanging and instantly shows search bar or address bar and also fast to load and have a nice spellchecker that IE didn't have it all.
I'm impress that Edge doesn't hog all the resources as other browser do!

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Edge is lightweight, lightning fast and very well designed. It's efficient and has a nice and interactive GUI, a huge improvement over Internet Explorer, but I still prefer Chrome.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's almost perfect! Just needs some extension support...and support for drag-and-dropping with files on the desktop into the browser.

Years
I will say, I dislike how Edge renders fonts, but I am really not sure if it can be changed. This has been an issue with IE as well, and it just...bothers me lol..

Spoiler:

Using Facebook as an example there.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I will say, I dislike how Edge renders fonts, but I am really not sure if it can be changed. This has been an issue with IE as well, and it just...bothers me lol..

Spoiler:

Using Facebook as an example there.

Facebook shouldn't be using that font. Did some setting got wedged?

Years
Facebook shouldn't be using that font. Did some setting got wedged?
I've always seen that font on Facebook for every computer I've used a Microsoft browser on.

EDIT: hmm, my tablet doesn't do that, but for some reason I remember it happening on my desktop. weird.

Last edited:

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Edge is so fast it makes downloading waterfox / chrome much faster :P

Really, all that's missing is extensions and then it's pretty much comparable to every other modern browser out now which is a good thing for Microsoft. (Finally got their browser issues sorted and no more IE jokes)

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I'll try it only when extensions are available. Can't live without ad-block for a second!

This pretty much applies to me, too. That aside, from the get-go, Edge strikes me as an evolution of Explorer, rather than a completely new browser. Which would makes sense in terms of recycling the nearly two decades worth of browser client code. Let's hop they do not repeat Explorer's mistake.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
Years
I've only used Microsoft Edge for around 15 minutes, and that was to get Ninite to download FireFox, Google Chrome, MalwareBytes, PuTTY and WinSCP for one of the IT computers at school. Other than that, it's better than IE, but I still wouldn't use Edge.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I've only used Microsoft Edge for around 15 minutes, and that was to get Ninite to download FireFox, Google Chrome, MalwareBytes, PuTTY and WinSCP for one of the IT computers at school. Other than that, it's better than IE, but I still wouldn't use Edge.

Hmm... you probably should try spending some time with it when you can (perhaps at home?) Give it a few hours. See what you like and don't like about it. Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Years
I was wondering if there were extensions available for it. Sad to see that there isn't yet, oh well.

Trying it out because I can. So far I'm liking it. Or at least, I'm not seeing anything so far that's putting me off using this. Except maybe the whole extensions thing, but meh. :P As much as I like those, I can live without them for the moment.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Need more placebo effect?
3. Poor IE had a stigma. Any comments on it not being directly comparable are just more of the placebo effect.
This is why the rename (and the rewrite) was needed.

This is even assuming the version of IE is up to date in the first place. With the level of fragmentation of IE versions in the corporate workplace and around the world, older versions of ie had to be dealt with by web designers in order to achieve the same effect on other web browsers. Just one of the reasons why IE gained it's negative stigma. At least with edge it'll follow the same set of web standards as other modern browsers.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Thankfully, web browsing stats show a majority of the world knows better and have updated, or switched to Chrome or Firefox. Hopefully they switch back.

Edge seems to be a good browser, and I thought that IE was removed, but... Yesterday I got a pop-up telling me that I visited a website who would work better in Internet Explorer, and it opened the original browser. So that means that Microsoft hasn't removed IE from Windows 10 but just hid it?

Back