• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Amber's assorted arts

Exodrake

The Manliest Chick that Ever Manlied
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
I think my old thread got pruned due to my inactivity here so I'm going to post a new gallery.

To start with I think I'm going to post some music hacking I've done somewhat recently. Some tracks pertain to the hack game I'm working on and may be a tad bit spoilerish? not really lol.

WIPs (not looped yet and the MIDIs still need more cleaning)

Here's that elite four battle theme in the game itself.

This is my personal favorite of all these.

This one's unique in that it's an original composition I scraped together from scratch in Anvil Studio, not a MIDI sequenced by someone else.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXtyDvGuAgY

Wild Arms music is always my favorite to work with, shame the later games don't have MIDIs for me to use (and I have the sequencing skills of a grapefruit)

Sorry they're all links, the Youtube tags don't seem to work and just show a player with 0.00 time that gives an error when I press play.

Once I get everything sorted out I want to post some of my visual art in its own post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Dec 23, 2022
Your stuff is decidedly dope, man. Love to see another great artist on here!
Your height scale chart is pretty damn awesome :D

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Thank you!

Here's an updated version of one of my custom songs (GBA devamp of the Gym Leader battle from Black & White, which is my favorite Pokemon battle theme of all time) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaZ0jtNnEw

Here's some sprite sheets for my ROM hack Brave New SteelEdge:

Ramboach
brave_new_steeledge____ramboach_sheet_by_exodrake-d8uhw4k.png

Knight Blazer and Over Knight Blazer
brave_new_steeledge___knight_blazer_sheet_by_exodrake-d84cu81.png

brave_new_steeledge___over_knight_blazer_sheet_by_exodrake-d88pkao.png

The Ashley's palettes are out of date so I'm holding off on posting that sheet.

Polteroak (her overworld sprite is not used in BNS, but it was used in the old game Fandomon)
polteroak_sheet_by_exodrake-d7vql12.png

EDIT: Here's the Elite Four battle theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INzbrk_bK6U I really love abusing that transplanted Orchestra Hit sample.

Last edited:

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Bumping to bring fresh content. This is a Sculptris model of a skeleton of my original "Exodrake" species (a female's skeleton, male skeletons are quite dimorphic but I can't manage one with Sculptris' crash limit as this one already pushes the envelope and the smaller, lighter males have less fusion of the bones so I'd need to use many more triangles on a male skeleton).

http://orig15.deviantart.net/9f52/f...ale_exodrake_skeleton_by_exodrake-d8was3s.png

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Huh this thread still exists. I shall resurrect thee with Mega Scolpendum!

brave_new_steeledge___mega_scolpendum_by_exodrake-d8zlf2q.png

mega_scolpendum_art_only_transparent_by_exodrake-d8yylks.png

This is a regular Scolpendum:
scolpendumspritebig_by_exodrake-d8yv9l7.png

I'm a knife party centipede dragon. Your argument is invalid.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I'm like.. a little overwhelmed here! You've got a hell of a lot of content. Damn good content too. It's going to take me a while to get through everything! All of your art is super badass. Your characters are interesting to look at and innovative, have a very distinct style that certainly doesn't scream Sugimori but is undeniably your own (which is what makes it so cool!), and are all, artistically speaking, very well drawn. But I want to know more about them! Give us some back story if you feel up to it! Tell us about your characters, your fakemon, your hack!

Also if you don't mind, I'm going to take a look at your first post and see why your videos aren't working. PC has changed the format they use to embed youtube videos so if it's something like that I'm going to fix it up. Hope that's okay!

Edit; Got your videos to work. :) Just needed the right coding, is all. Wasn't able to get the 5th one working though, no idea why, so sorry about that.

Last edited:

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
Much appreciated, both your kind words and fixing my videos! I figured out how to do that right yesterday, haha.

Depending on which set of characters (the ones for the RPG Maker 2003 project or the fakemon) we are talking about, there's two totally different backstories for them lol.

The fakemon are creatures dubbed Fordians, and are best summarized as such:
These creatures are manmade on a commission basis, and engineered to fit the customer's specifications; if the customer wanted something which looked exactly like their favorite video game character, the engineers would do that. Though the "Fandomon" were shut down due to copyright infringement, the Fordian engineers got around this by making things which weren't copyrighted. It wasn't until they made Mechaton and it destroyed the labs that Fordian production stopped for good.

Fordians have many things in common with Pokemon but are bio-mechanical, artificial lifeforms. They are hardier, stronger and more adaptable than Pokemon. When they multiplied and escaped into the wilderness, they drove natural Pokemon to extinction and formed their own ecosystems.

The name "Fordian" was coined from the protests of a man who likened the production of these creatures, called "designer Pokemon" at that time, to the mass-production of humans in Aldous Huxley's novel Brave New World (he drew this comparison due to the production of "homunculi", which are the Fordians that look like humans but aren't). His "condemn this Fordian facility!" protests were misunderstood by the general public who didn't get the reference, and they thought Fordian was the actual name of the creatures. To suppress his protests, the engineers adopted that as the official name, becoming Fordia Systems Limited.
The game's title, Brave New SteelEdge, is also intended to reference that novel, while also serving as word play because developing this game has been a very bold and intense process for me, I've had to learn so much. It's Brave New "SteelEdge" because the game serves as a total remake to my first rom hack attempt, Pokemon SteelEdge, but bears little resemblance to that game except for bringing back the fakemon from it (though nearly all of them have been redesigned and they are all being redrawn because my 14 year old spriting skills were beyond abysmal). It also serves as a director's cut to my middling hack game endeavor, Fandomon, which I abandoned because it's Ruby-based which is restrictive, and has some unfixable bugs.

The characters for the RPG Maker 2003 game belong to a world where humans openly coexist with a race of aliens they call Exodrakes. It's a world where crime and overpopulation are serious problems, resulting in the creation of a prison-city called the Detainment District, which serves as a major setting in the game (but not the only one!). Actually, lemme paste a summary of the idea real quick:
The gist of the plot is that everything is digital in this world, and some enigmatic virus programmer makes a virus which wreaks havoc on the all digital stock market which makes everyone think a second great depression has occurred, causing them to freak out. This was a ruse to promote organized crime though, something much more problematic in this world. To deal with the influx of criminals being arrested they made the Detainment District which is like a prison-city, and serves as a major setting in the game. So the game in general is a sci-fi/crime themed RPG which aims to be more realistic than the typical RPG - characters who use chemical weapons can't replenish the energy to use it by sleeping at an inn, they need to purchase chemistry sets and use them, also the Fire Breath skill the playable Exodrake character has can't be used outside if the wind direction is blowing towards him. So it goes for more realism than most RPGs, but still takes SOME artistic licenses, but those which are within reason/not proven to be implausible, like warp drive technology on the spaceships.
Here's a sort of abridged rundown of what Exodrakes are about (sort of abridged because this is the shortest summary of them I can come up with without omitting crucial information)
The female Exodrake is dramatically larger, ranging from 8-10 feet typically, and built for strength while the males are built for agility. Females possess horns (hardcoded to the W chromosome so it's impossible for males to have them), tail blades, and more jaw feelers that form a "beard" while the male has a "goatee". They also have large scales on the nose absent in males. Males fall within a typical height range of 4-6 feet, have superior eyesight, less bone fusion thanks to their lighter body which means they are more flexible as well, and are really fast. This dramatic sexual dimorphism was indeed important for their survival in the world they come from. Also, both male and female Exodrakes can have babies (they are viviparous as all of the higher animals from their world are). I could explain this better but I don't think anyone wants to know about that lol . Just know my explanation is scientifically sound and they have the necessary organs for this to be possible.

Biologically Exodrakes have no real Earth analogue; the best brief description I can make for them is "highly advanced insects with endoskeletons", but even that draws too many analogues to Earth creatures. Descended from distant insect-like ancestors, their "tail" is anatomically an abdomen; the body cavity extends into it which is why it is a "crotch tail". They belong to a clade of alien animals called Draco, or dragons, named because these animals all have a characteristic fire breathing adaptation which uses a hydrogen+platinum+oxygen reaction to create fire, and some of them actually do closely resemble dragons of lore.

For fire breathing, dragons expel the hydrogen gas from glands in the mouth and platinum powder from the nostrils after grinding and snorting it, which meet at a distance away from the face and they shoot it in quick bursts so they avoid injuring themselves. Still, with the rarity/value of platinum and the amount of personal/property damage fire breathing can cause, doing so is highly taboo and illegal in their society. Platinum is never sold as jewelry or the like; it is permitted only in lab settings on their world, and holds tremendous value on the black market.

Their homeworld, Hrr'gthr, is an Earth-like planet with much of its geography ideal for a planet loaded with forestation, especially rainforests. The semi-arboreal race bases much of their culture on the forest as it is so important to them. Carnivorous, they actually respect plants more than animals, so Exodrakes typically don't get along with human vegans lol.

In the modern day (on Earth it is the year 2054 in their world), Exodrakes openly coexist and trade with humans, so the races are allies who no longer find each other strange after coexisting for millenia. For the most part. Xenophobia is an inevitability between races who cross each other's ideals so much. But for the most part they get along, and interspecies friend circles are the norm; even interspecies romantic relationships are pretty common. Exodrakes think very similarly to humans and are intellectual equals, the main reason for the compatibility of the species.
Alright, now that all my plot dumping is out of the way, I've updated the Black & White Gym leader and Elite Four battle theme devamps since I last posted them here.

Updated gym leader battle:

Updated elite four battle:

^not as accurate as the gym leader battle, I definitely took some liberties here.

Last edited:

Exodrake

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 30, 2016
I bring another mega to the plate. Fitting the front sprite into the canvas was a real pain and I think it shows, the pose is a tad awkward. Oh well, I tried my hardest to mitigate that :X

mega_rob_swire_horns_by_exodrake-d90d9j3.png

The design of this mega comes from what was originally a Metal Demon-ified version of Rob Swire, but I dropped the pendulum ARM because there's no way in hell I could fir it into the canvas and Fordians are feral creatures so I'd prefer its Tough Claws ability to references those metal talons (Also, although some Fordians have natural weapons they are born with, a pendulum coming out of nowhere is too ridiculous for me. At least Mega Ashley's bayonet could morph into the Argetlahm sword). The funny thing is, this design started because of a wack Wild Arms crackfic in the vein of 30H's by Secondpillow. This is the original "Metal Swire" artwork (The perspective on the pendulum is wrong):
metal_swire_2_by_exodrake-d7z43h8.png

Back