• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Whatever happened to your rivals Raticate?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 12, 2017
I was wondering. After the battle with your rival on the S.S. Anne, he doesn't have his Raticate anymore. When you encounter him in Lavender Town he says: "You know what it's like to have one of your Pokémon die?"

So in retrospective, you killed his Raticate, crushed his dreams and he even gets scolded by his own grandfather! Man .. talkin' about being a dickhead.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
That's not what he says at all, though. He says

"What brings you here? Your Pokémon don't look dead! I can at least make them faint!"

He just boxed the Raticate because it wasn't strong enough.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
Years
Yeah, the second guy is right. He was telling you that he'd kill your Pokemon. Like any trainer with any intelligence, he boxed the Raticate for being too weak, and I believe that's when he picked up a Growlithe instead.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Apr 12, 2017
Yeah, the second guy is right. He was telling you that he'd kill your Pokemon. Like any trainer with any intelligence, he boxed the Raticate for being too weak, and I believe that's when he picked up a Growlithe instead.

Killing a Raticate sounds more fun than boxing it though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
He should have kept his Raticate, if you ask me. It wasn't really so weak back in generation one; had enough strength to take out just about any other Pokémon. d: If he did, then he might have even become a bit more difficult to go up against. Who knows? Haha.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Gary didn't say anything about Pokemon dying. He just says he can at least make yours faint. :p

I think he got rid of his Raticate via releasing or putting it in the PC, as it was probably weaker around the time he battled you in the tower. I think he got either Gyarados or Growlithe/Arcanine after switching out Raticate from his team, both a fair bit stronger than the rat.

Years
Honestly, I dont think any of you is right. We certainly didnt kill his Raticate. Cos we would have also killed all the other Pokemon he had. I wouldn't be surprised if his Raticate did indeed die, for unknown reasons, and he was there to mourn.
Idk, would make sense to me.

Gible

Y L I E S S E
Years
I think his Raticate died from a side event and that's why he was in the Pokemon Tower. Doesn't make too big of an issue though seeing as Arcanine>Raticate.

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
It was said (forgive me for not providing a source) that Gary's/Blue's Raticate had died in the last battle that we've had with him. Although it may be a Creepypasta as the Pokemon Series has many of them. Everytime that I read a theory or watched a video on youtube about his Raticate, it always made me feel sad and sorry for him. As it's always tragic when someone or something dies and then passes away.

^My 2cents.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 20, 2014
It seems like it fits together as a story, but I don't think Game Freak intended for people to ever think that his Raticate died. A more logical explanation is that he boxed it, like any other trainer has the ability to do.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Sep 26, 2021
He noted that it was not too good and would save. Then you will put the blame on you.

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
Years
I always wanted to know what happened to the Raticate, too. It's just one of those theories that it died and that's why your rival was there (visiting its grave). Very rarely will a Pokemon dying actually be brought up, so they leave it up to you to decide.

Back