• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Cubone, Meowth, or Machop?

Years
So I just booted up my old game of Pokemon Mystery Dungeons: Blue Rescue Team, (and no, don't move this to Spinoffs because it really has nothing to do with it besides that) and I looked up a list of starters from the starting quiz. (If you want to look at them its here)

(Also, I am male so I'm getting one off the male list)

So, I came across 3 I liked. Machop, Cubone, and Meowth. I'm having trouble deciding, so I want to know what you guys think!

And don't just base it on their stats, I also base it on cuteness. I know Meowth isn't that cute but Persian is just adorable and they can evolve after I beat Rayquaza.

250px-053Persian.png
250px-068Machamp.png
250px-105Marowak.png

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Persian is more elegant-looking than cute in my opinion, haha. Machamp, well, it's a very tough Pokémon, and with all its muscles, it comes off as sort of intimidating. xD;; Same could be said for Marowak; it's intimidating. Maybe not exactly, but you know what I mean! Since you're basing this off looks and not stats, I suggest you should go with Persian.

Years
Well, I'm basing it off both. If you've ever played any of the Pokemon MD games, there isn't much of an Physical/Special difference. I'm basing it off both stats and looks though too.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Well Marowak has decent stats and not as many disadvantages and in a certain light can be looked at as cute...if you find big beefy muscular dudes to be cute then Machamp is your best pic tho. Persian is more majestic I'd say than cute, and doesn't have the best of stats. If I had to choose I'd go with Marowak or Machamp.

Years
id go cubone. it just becomes so intimidating when it becomes marowak. i always had one in my firered and leafgreen playthroughs.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
Since this is a PMD game, Pokemon with big movepools thrive. Persian, for example, gets Fake Out, which can hit a foe up to 2 tiles away, and flinch it. It also gets Water Pulse, Shock Wave, and Shadow Ball, which can hit a foe up to multiple tiles away. Additionally, it gets Thunderbolt which hits all surrounding foes, Fury Swipes which is much better than in the main games, Dig which allows it to avoid all damage for one turn and then strike on the next turn, Bite which can flinch the foe, Roar which can blast the foe against a wall, Screech, Slash, Thief, Faint Attack, and Aerial Ace.

Marowak gets a lot of Ground-type moves, like Bone Club, Bonemerang, Bone Rush, Dig, and Earthquake. Earthquake can also hit teammates, so it's not that good unless you have Levitators like Gastly and Koffing with you. Focus Punch, on the other hand, hits the opponent even if the user is hit, so it's much better than in the main games. Additionally, Marowak gets Headbutt, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, Brick Break, Aerial Ace, and Thief.

Machamp only learns Fighting-type moves and some non-damaging moves by level, but by TM, it can learn Focus Punch, Brick Break, Dig, Flamethrower, Fire Blast, and Thief.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
What is your play style? Speedy attacker (Persian), defense (marowak), or bulkyish attacker (Machamp)? I would personally go with Persian because of its challenge of use, cuteness, coolness, speediness, and when used right, a heavy hitter.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I know Meowth isn't that cute
catstare.001.gif

I'd go with the one that fits my play style and gives me the most coverage against enemies. Post-game content wouldn't affect my decision, since these days I rarely play games past the main storyline. So the evolutions wouldn't be something I'd consider.

Which means I'd go with Meowth. It's the creature I'd be looking at for the majority of the game and I like the variety of moves it can learn.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

Meowth/Persian ftw. Plus, with that movepool, he's kickin butt.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
I personally like Cubone most, but from what I remember of the storyline, it won't do you much good. There are many, many dungeons with ice-types, which Cubone is weak to. And one of the most major storyline dungeons is packed with flying Pokemon and stuff with Levitate, which most of Cubone's moves can't hit. And lots of earlier bosses are flying, too.

Meowth has probably the best movepool if you count TMs, and I don't remember encountering a huge amount of fighting-types during the story.

Machop has a similar, but not as severe, problem with flying Pokemon. It's strong, but its movepool is also the most shallow.

If you want an easy experience, go for Meowth. If you want a challenge, go for Cubone. Machop seems like it would be a middle ground as far as difficulty goes.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
While Marowak and Machamp are some really cool Pokemon, I'd end up choosing Persian courtesy of my own personal bias. It's one of my favourite Normal-types, and its wide movepool, especially in the Mystery Dungeon 'verse, is really useful.

So I guess I'm saying to go with Meowth~

Years
Cubone/Marowak can kill outside the screen border once you hit a specific level. Also your base looks awesome after it gets upgraded.

It is really hard to clear the storyline unless you have Pikachu as a partner while playing as Cubone tho.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Cubone is really hard to use, I agree. So if you're up for a challenge use Cubone!

I think Meowth might be fun to use, especially since it can learn a bunch of moves from TMs. :3

I personally don't really like Machop, so I don't have anything to say about him!

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
Years
So, there seems to be some confusion over which is the best starter for PMD 1, when it is obviously Meowth. Sure, he not that strong, but winning in the PMD world has nothing to do with strenght. It's all about exploiting the broken game mechanics to your advantage. So, a closer look into Meowth:
- It gets Limber upon evolving. In a game where sneezing the wrong way gives you a status condition having any kind of status immunity is definitely a good thing.
- Pay Day is the single most useful move in the game. You constantly need to buy supplies for the next dungeon, so having a reliable way to get free money makes the whole experience much less stressful. Also, Friend Areas. They're very costly as well.
- Fury Swipes. While it takes a while for it to learn it, if you know anything about how multi-hit moves work in those games, it is basically a 1-hit-ko on almost every boss in the game!
- Also, Thunderbolt. It takes care of the two most dangerous things in PMD, seal-based Pokemon and Aerodactyl mobs. A lot of the bosses are weak to it too. Early-game, you'll have to settle for Shock Wave though.
So in the battle of starters, Meowth wins not in strenght but in utility. And you can still pick a heavy hitter like Charmander or Totodile as your partner and let him do all the hard work!

Back