• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Roller Skates

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon X and Y, you get the chance to receive a pair of Roller Skates in addition to your bicycle. In order to get a hold of it, you must first defeat Santalune City gym, then talk to one of the Roller Skater outside. This item is a lot faster than Running Shoes, and you're also able to perform various tricks with it. So, what are your thoughts on these Roller Skates? Did you like using them, did you not? Was it easy for you handle? If you were to replace them with some other item, what would it be and how would it work? d:

Elements1

Meh
Years
I always used them until getting a bike. Didn't even know how to dismount them on foot until I finished the game.

{XD} Me too, I did not know how to dismount till I got my pokerader and reading guides how to properly use it and such.

I love skates! The speed it gives let's the pokemon world be larger, has anyone gone through the world just by running? Think of how much longer it would have taken! Glad they introduced tricks though I rarely use them, but I kinda hope they get more. I thought it was kinda fun discovering all the different ones ^^

Lihtal

Castle Guard
Years
I wish there was a way to toggle them. It would be nice to be able to walk with the circle pad.

You took the words out of my mouth- But really, i mean sure it´s a nice feature who am i to deny it, but if you had a button to toggle them off... that be great specially since i believe there are some parts of the game that could seem more smooth walking than on skates... but then again personal preferences.

Sure i can walk with the D-Pad but it´s kinda awkward

I don't dislike the skates, i dislike how you are stuck with them.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
I love them! Far better than those damn running shoes, plus the tricks you can do are pretty cool.
~MistressofMightyena~

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I wish there was a way to toggle them. It would be nice to be able to walk with the circle pad.

It's perfectly possible to unequip Roller Skates; just enable Dowsing Machine, and you should be all set. Anyway, I'm personally not too fond of these Skates, unfortunately. It's a nice thing to have, but not very easy to handle, though. :( If they had offered a more variety of these stuff, with one being slow and steady, then it would've been a lot more convenient.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
I'm not too fond of the roller skates. I mean it's a nice mechanic, but I would like the option to turn/toggle them off. I would much prefer to use the circle pad for regular walking without the use of the dowsing machine.

They were rather easy to handle, except for the fact that I might accidentally do a trick while changing direction and such. But, roller skates are still a welcome addition to the game as they serve as an alternative to running shoes that can be used indoors.

Years
I love using the Roller Skates, it's a pretty nice feature and those grind rails scattered around Kalos were a great way to utilize them to get to some items and locations. I do like to use all three of the Roller Skates, Bicycle and Running Shoes because they have their uses.

AZ Jr

There is a fine line between fishing and just stan
Years
  • Age 23
  • UK
  • Seen Aug 9, 2014
I love the Roller Skates. They really upgraded a lot of the mechanics compared to previous games in the franchise (upgraded meaning you can move in about a million directions). I don't think I would have liked it as much if they were in any earlier games. But... one thing bothers me. The PokéRadar. I bet more than half of you know where this is going. I'm chaining, looked for that damned adorable shiny Espurr.
Spoiler:
And, thanks to muscle instinct, I USE THE CIRCLE PAD. Aaaggghh! MY LIFE IS A LIE! Why? OH GOD WHY!?

Years
I hardly ever used them. If I need to go fast I'd hop on the bike; the skates weren't really my go-to most of the time, especially not since I prefer playing Pokemon with the directional buttons over the circle pad.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I used Roller Skates most of the time, I like the fact that I can do some good tricks using it, and grinding through rails as well. I enjoyed it to the point that I almost forgot that I have Bicycle lol

Years
Despite the usefulness of the roller skates, they became kind of annoying at times >>;; I would often crash into objects, which was probably due to me not being able to properly manoeuvre around with them...Still! It definitely cut the travel time down, but the constantly moving camera angle made it slightly difficult to move @.@

εcho.

The silver ninetales
Years
They took me a long time to get used to. Lots of going in circles and bumping into things over and over again.
I do love them now though, they're awesome for getting around Lumiose city.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
I love the concept, and all the tricks you can do with them. I would use them all the time if the bike wouldn't be faster. It's great to get off the grid, too.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Dec 19, 2014
I find the roller skates really handy for just speeding a small distance. I hate the fact that when you first move the pad it gets a nice fast speed, but it slows down automatically, so you have to give it another thrust.

Pinta77

They took me a long time to get used to. Lots of going in circles and bumping into things over and over again.
I do love them now though, they're awesome for getting around Lumiose city.

Ironically, I don't like them in Lumiose. The camera angles when you come out of buildings and in some of the alleys are atrocious, and the roller skates just make it more challenging.

Back