• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to add a new Pokemon. (Complete Tutorial)

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
How to add a new Pokemon. (Stats, Picture, Icon, Name, and much more!)

If you don't see anything in the thread. Try The Johto Elite theme.

How to add a new Pokemon. (Complete Tutorial)

Introduction:
All the tutorials on how to change Pokemon sprites are on unLZ.GBA. This tool is good, but a better one came out by Wichu. UnLZ.GBA is a limited program, by that I mean the Pokemon you insert has to have the same pallet as the previous one. You could use A-Pallet, but that is to hard too.

So this is how to make new Pokemon the easy way!
Tools:
Advanced Series
YAPE or another Pokemon editor
Advance Map or another wild Pokemon editor
MS Paint or another picture editor
ROM
Battle Sprite:
Open up Advance Pokemon Sprite Editor (included in Advance Series).
Press file, open rom, find your rom, the press open.
It should look something like this.
2qi5x75.jpg

Find the Pokemon you want to replace. I'll choose Bulbasaur.
Press file, export image, save a .png file somewhere where you can find it.
The image you exported should look like this, but with whatever Pokemon you chose.
fn7g38.jpg

Open your image.
Now make/paste your sprite onto it. Just for laughs I'm doing Missingno.
IMPORTANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE SPRITES IN THE SAME POSITION ON THE IMAGE. An easy way of doing this is having not erased the previous sprite. Like this.
6dssp4.jpg

Now just erase the old sprite.
11raznm.jpg

Back to Advanced Pokemon Sprite Editor.
Press Edit, import all, find your image, press open, press synchronise pallets, and press okay.
If the colours are still messed up when you synchronise the palettes, you can edit them manually by double-clicking an entry in the palette. Also, you should make sure that your front and back sprites have no more than 16 colours in total (i.e. you're not using completely different palettes on front and back sprites). PM Wichu if it is still messing up.
Press write to rom, find free space, what a second for it to find it, type the numbers and/or letters into start offset, okay, and now it is inserted.
Party Sprite:
Open up Advanced Pokemon Icon Editor (included in Advance Series).
Press file, open rom, find your rom, and open it.
Find the Pokemon sprite you had edited earlier.
501rit.jpg

Press file, export image, and save it somewhere you can find it.
Open it up, and paste/make your icon.
Remember Missingno. had a boy sprite in Red and Blue, so that is what I'm using.
117xnya.jpg

Press file, import image, press your image, and press open.
Press okay when the box pops up.
Press write to rom.

Or you can import each 64x64 sprite individually. This means you don't need to worry about alignment, as you can simply save your sprite, recolour it to the shiny colours, and save it again with a different name (then, both sprites will be identical other than the colours).
Sprite Position:
Open Advance Sprite Position Editor (included in Advance Series).
Press file, open rom, find your rom, and open it.
Find the Pokemon sprite you had edited earlier.
Press Auto-position and see if you like the position.
Mess with the Player Y, Enemy Y, and Enemy Altitude until your happy if you didn't like the Auto-position. I can't really help you much here.
Press write to rom.
Stats, Name, Pokedex, etc...
Open up YAPE or your editor.
As you can see there is way to many things to go over. I think I'll make another tutorial just for YAPE.
That tutorial can be found here!
Making it appear:
What would be the point of this if it didn't appear?
Open Advance Map.
Press file, load rom, and open your rom.
Chose the map(s) you want it to appear in, and open them.
Press wild Pokemon, add your Pokemon to the list, and if need be change the level.
Press save.
Testing:
This is the fun part.
Open up your emulator and rom in it.
Go to the route/town it appears in.
Wait for it to appear.
Catch it, and see your hard work paid off.
Screenshots:
34265049.png
27087944.png
19219807.png
47195243.png
75616395.png
54340937.png
80083591.png

Last edited by a moderator:

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
Why does the text not show when I use the Pichu2 layout? Nice tutorial overall, also nice to see someone try to make a 'new' Missingno.

UnLZ.GBA is a limited program, by that I mean the Pokemon you insert has to have the same pallet as the previous one.

Or you use indexed sprites. :P

Last edited:
Years
Nice tutorial. I will try. By the way what is a missingno. It's sprite is not good. It is like a pic of a crasing rom or something.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
Why does the text not show when I use the Pichu2 layout? Nice tutorial overall, also nice to see someone try to make a 'new' Missingno.

Or you use indexed sprites. :P

I don't know. It might've been before I switched the background. If you still don't see it try The Johto Elite. (The text is white. It is suppose to show up with the background being red.)

Eh, whatever floats your boat.

Nice tutorial. I will try. By the way what is a missingno. It's sprite is not good. It is like a pic of a crasing rom or something.

Missingno. is the most famous glitch in Pokemon History. In Red, Blue, and Green you talked to the old man to show you how to catch a Pokemon, fly to Cinnabar, and then surf on the edge. Missingno. and 'M would appear, corrupt your Hall of Fame, make your 6th item have an infinite amount, and it would normally appear above level 100.

You can figure more out here.

sky_queen3

Mimikyu is cute :3
Years
I don't know. It might've been before I switched the background. If you still don't see it try The Johto Elite. (The text is white. It is suppose to show up with the background being red.)

Eh, whatever floats your boat.

Yeah, works in The Johto Elite hmm... and it was just a comment, your way's quicker. :D

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
Years
  • Seen May 27, 2021
Why is it that in the end result your inserted pokemon appears messed up :/

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
If the colours are still messed up when you synchronise the palettes, you can edit them manually by double-clicking an entry in the palette. Also, you should make sure that your front and back sprites have no more than 16 colours in total (i.e. you're not using completely different palettes on front and back sprites). If you've done this, and it still messes up, could you PM me the sprite that messes up? I'll see if I can find what's wrong.

When you import a sprite into APSE, you can import each 64x64 sprite individually. This means you don't need to worry about alignment, as you can simply save your sprite, recolour it to the shiny colours, and save it again with a different name (then, both sprites will be identical other than the colours).

Oh, and you don't need to choose the INI before loading the ROM. The tools check the ROM header and choose the correct INI automatically.

Wouldn't it be better to do the tutorial with a non-glitch Pokémon? The MissingNo. sprite is confusing people :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 4, 2011
If the colours are still messed up when you synchronise the palettes, you can edit them manually by double-clicking an entry in the palette. Also, you should make sure that your front and back sprites have no more than 16 colours in total (i.e. you're not using completely different palettes on front and back sprites). If you've done this, and it still messes up, could you PM me the sprite that messes up? I'll see if I can find what's wrong.

When you import a sprite into APSE, you can import each 64x64 sprite individually. This means you don't need to worry about alignment, as you can simply save your sprite, recolour it to the shiny colours, and save it again with a different name (then, both sprites will be identical other than the colours).

Oh, and you don't need to choose the INI before loading the ROM. The tools check the ROM header and choose the correct INI automatically.

Wouldn't it be better to do the tutorial with a non-glitch Pokémon? The MissingNo. sprite is confusing people :P

Okay, I'll do it with Turtwig later, and thanks for correcting me.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2011
where can i download the Advanced series tools? iv looked everywhere and i can't find it O.o

Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2013
Good tutorial, but perhaps it would've been better to choose a normal pokemon, so as not to confuse the newbies. But still, nice tutorial.

Years
Ooo, This was really good. Thank ya kindly sir *tips hat to you*
I laughed at the thought of people not knowing about missingno.
Ahhh the memories, HOLY... A LEVEL 121 STARMIE!!!!!!!!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen May 14, 2010
Hey. I right, I'm trying to import some pokemon from Diamond and Pearl, but everytime i set their names and write it to the rom. it just goes back to "?". And one more thing, how do we add more pokemon than it should?

aka825

Online Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2012
Hey, where can you actually download most of the tools (especially the advanced series)? I tried searching on google, and couldn't find it.
PS Great Tutorial.

Years
  • Age 39
  • Seen Jun 1, 2011
I will say the andvanced series tooldbox is the best I've used so far.
It's a way easier process compared to unlz gba.

jjohn779

The Uprising
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2011
hey i followed the tutorial and i made a evolution for umbreon and flareon and when it was supposed to evolve(using fire stone) it said ..? when it was evolving...plz tell me what to do
Btw this is the evo. chain
eevee-umbreon/flareon-Ignereon
p.s. dont steal my fakémon its part of my upcoming version

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
hey i followed the tutorial and i made a evolution for umbreon and flareon and when it was supposed to evolve(using fire stone) it said ..? when it was evolving...plz tell me what to do
Btw this is the evo. chain
eevee-umbreon/flareon-Ignereon
p.s. dont steal my fakémon its part of my upcoming version

The pokemon you replaced is probably in the national dex. Your most likely using Fire red, which you have to obtain the national dex. I would let the player get it at the beginning of the game.

Back