• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 2, 2020
Thanks. I actually already have it, but if it wasn't going to fix it I didn't want to waste my time.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I'm new, but what i really just wanted to know was if i capture a shiny Gyaridos in Pokemon Crystal, would it effect my chances of getting another Shiny Pokemon

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I'm new, but what i really just wanted to know was if i capture a shiny Gyaridos in Pokemon Crystal, would it effect my chances of getting another Shiny Pokemon

Hey there! Welcome to the forum :)

Well to start with, the Shiny Gyarados in Pokemon Crystal (and Gold, Silver, HeartGold, SoulSilver) is already programmed to be shiny (so it's always shiny when you encounter it at the Lake of Rage).

However, for EACH Pokemon you encounter in the wild you have a 1/8192 chance it's a shiny; which means "1 out of of 8192 encounters/obtainable Pokemon could appear as shiny" (to be exact). Not a great chance (I agree, but this makes shiny Pokemon more valuable and interesting in my opinion because they are so rare), but not impossible. Catching the Shiny Gyarados, or any other Pokemon that appears as a shiny will not affect your chances on getting another one in any way, no worries :) > So, no, it doesn't affect your chances

So, for example, you encounter a shiny in the wild but it's possible to encounter one soon after (that's real luck, but it happens!). So chances are STILL 1/8192 all the time, but encountering a shiny doesn't affect these chances to obtain another one (i.e. that the chances would be even less next time when you want to catch a shiny, luckily it doesn't work this way!) :)

Atually to give you another tip, in Pokemon Crystal when you first enter the Daycare in Goldenrod city, you'll receive an egg. You will have around a 50% chance it will hatch into a shiny baby-Pokemon (also programmed in the game) ;) Again, this doesn't affect your chances to find one in the wild.

So good luck, have fun playing the game and wish you more luck finding the shinies you want! ;)

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I was watching a video and trying to figure out the DVs but now that i watch carefully, its not something i control unless I try to get an egg. but...idk its a little complicated and trying to get at least 3 shinies. And i heard that the egg would be "14%" chance for the egg.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
Years
I was watching a video and trying to figure out the DVs but now that i watch carefully, its not something i control unless I try to get an egg. but...idk its a little complicated and trying to get at least 3 shinies. And i heard that the egg would be "14%" chance for the egg.

Oops, sorry I forgot, since I also play the Japanse Pokemon Crystal cartridge, I forgot to mention. Yes for all versions of the games (Pokemon Crystal) it's indeed a 14% chance of hatching it into a shiny, but for the Japanese version it's 50%. :)

Simply just safe BEFORE receiving the Odd Egg, and try as many times as possible to receive a shiny you like ;) You have a chance of hatching the following: Pichu, Magby, Igglybuff, Clefairy, Tyrogue, Elekid, Smoochum

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
Hey, sorry if this questions been answered time and time again - it seems like it would be heh. But hey, is there REALLY no way to transfer any pokemon from Gold / Silver or second generation beyond it? As in; trading up to R/S or FR/LG?

Yes, there really is no way to transfer. The data structure is quite different for the older games vs. the newer games, and there were enough stats changes that GF decided to make them incompatible. (E.g., the earlier games use a 0-15 structure for the value of each stat, vs. the 0-31 system that we see in IVs today.) It's a shame, but I suppose it at least gave GF another reason (besides money) to remake the older games.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
Yes, there really is no way to transfer. The data structure is quite different for the older games vs. the newer games, and there were enough stats changes that GF decided to make them incompatible. (E.g., the earlier games use a 0-15 structure for the value of each stat, vs. the 0-31 system that we see in IVs today.) It's a shame, but I suppose it at least gave GF another reason (besides money) to remake the older games.

Thanks for clarifying, that's very disappointing but useful to have confirmed. Thanks mate.

Years
How do you acquire Mew in Yellow?

Hey guys,

(posted in the wrong forum before, sorry)
Look, my friend is always bragging about his Mew he has in Yellow, and says he got it in a legitimate way. Thing is, he won't tell me how. Is this possible??

Cheers,

Roman

JoshTheTrainer

Glaceon Lover ~
Years
Shiny soft reset?

Hey, I have a question. I just started soft resetting this night and was wondering something. I'm using an emulator but what I'm doing is I use the speed button to speed the same up and I saved (with the save menu option, not with shift+F1) before the pokéball of Chikorita. I pick it every time and when it's not shiny, I soft reset.

This way, will it ever become shiny if I just keep on soft resetting? Because I notice the gender change already a few times.

I have no experience in soft resetting, this is the way to get shiny legendaries, right?

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I have no experience in soft resetting, this is the way to get shiny legendaries, right?

You can in fact get legendaries through soft-resetting, it will probably take a lot of time, as will the starters. But it's possible, so keep trying. :)

Years
I am extremely confused. According to Bulbapedia and Serebii, Heracross can be found by using Headbutt on a special tree. But, how do I know the difference between a special tree and a normal tree? And, can I find Heracross on this route? Bulbapedia and Serebii's pages on this are wrong, as, for one thing, they say that Ledyba and Spinarak can't be found by using Headbutt, but I've found both. Please help!

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
I am extremely confused. According to Bulbapedia and Serebii, Heracross can be found by using Headbutt on a special tree. But, how do I know the difference between a special tree and a normal tree? And, can I find Heracross on this route? Bulbapedia and Serebii's pages on this are wrong, as, for one thing, they say that Ledyba and Spinarak can't be found by using Headbutt, but I've found both. Please help!

There is no way to tell the difference between normal and special trees. You just have to keep trying until you find a Pokemon that's special tree exclusive (like Heracross). I think it's the same trees every time and not randomly generated, but I don't know for sure, and I can't find anything online about it.

Also what route?

And what game? I'm assuming Crystal because you said you've found both Ledyba and Spinarak, and that's the only one that has both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back