• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Are you a boy or girl?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Just like each and every future generation of games, gen three had allowed us to choose between either male or female when starting off our journey.

In Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald, our character selection ranged from May and Brendan, both of which were well-known among fans. Former was featured in anime, as many of us might know, with latter being put into manga. For FireRed and LeafGreen, we got to choose from either Red, the male player, and Green.

When playing RSE, which person did you wind up selecting, and do you remember why? What about FRLG? What did you name them?

Years
I played as a girl in my Ruby, FireRed and Emerald games. I chose the boy for Sapphire and LeafGreen. I only chose the female characters back then simply because I liked their designs and thought it was a rather unique idea to gender-bend. Don't ask why though, because I was so young lmao

Years
I played as a girl in Ruby, because it made sense I play as the one with the same gender since I am female in reality. I'm also a fan of May as well so it's easily justified.

Years
Girl in Sapphire, boy in Ruby before I restarted, girl in FR/LG. I played as a boy in Ruby for kicks since my first (and primary) version was Sapphire just to see what trainer NPC I'd become when I mixed secret base records with my main game cart. Always prefer playing as my own gender ever since the release of the girl playable character.

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
Years
I played with male in Ruby, and female in Sapphire. I found it appropriate, especially after I got the Pokemon Adventures Ruby&Sapphire mangas.

Years
Being male, I almost always play as the male characters in Gen III. One reason for this is I'm very uncreative when it comes to brainstorming female names, but as the male, I can just name the character after myself. Another reason that really only applies to RSE is I forget that my house is on the right side, as I'm pretty sure RSE is the only game where your house is in a different place depending on what gender you choose.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As for me, I wound up selecting May in my first run of Pokémon Ruby, if I remember correctly. In my second and third, it was Brendan. As for Emerald, it was a similar process; boy, then girl. In FireRed and LeafGreen, I selected Red in my first three runs, considering how much of a fan I was of him and whatnot. Then, it was Green, and in run after that, back to Red.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
I played as a Girl in my Sapphire playthough and as a Boy in Ruby. I chose a girl in Emerald. Since i'm a girl and all. If a Pokemon game has three installments, i'm usually going to be a girl in the 3rd installment.

pkmin3033

I played as May in both Ruby and Emerald, primarily because I like her character design and I don't like Brendan's. He just looks a bit messy to me, and I like May in the anime as well, so it made sense to me to play as her instead.

I did play as a guy the first time in Fire Red - I was feeling nostalgic, so I went out of my way to recreate Ash's original team (yes, I know it's Red and not Ash, but as I said, I was feeling nostalgic, and nostalgia cares nothing for accuracy) and play through it that way. I was a girl the second time around. Since female characters have been introduced in the games since Crystal, I've almost always played as them, because I just prefer their designs. The guys all kinda look the same. xD

Years
Every single play of Emerald has had me choosing the girl, I just find it more fun then. Some of my plays of RS had me playing as the boy, though.

But I usually choose the male in FRLG because I don't like Leaf's design much.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I played as a girl my first time around because I wanted my in-game character to match my gender. ^_^ I played as a boy the next time, because I wanted to mix it up. I also associate sprites with characters, so I wanted them to be different.

Boured

The Guildmaster
Years
Played as a boy because I am a boy and I named him Max because that is my name i did this for basically all gen 3 games except fire red because i never played it.

Strom Thunder

The Apocalypse :D
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 25, 2014
I played every 3rd gen games with Male ! Because I am a boy and I like choosing a boy. Its not like I hate female characters. Both Players are awesome and cool looking, which make it more fun spending time playing with them :P

Grotesque

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 22, 2014
Playe3d as the Male characters in both games of Gen 3 as I liked their designs better.

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Well I am a boy but I also tried playing the game as a girl couple of times for a change haha.

Back