• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Media Players

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Everyone have their choices if it comes to multimedia needs. What's your favorite audio and video player in PC, and what makes you enjoyed using it? Is it because of the features, or memories of using it?

I often used Winamp as my audio player ever since I got my first PC, Winamp has done a pretty good job at playing audio files. And I used to rely on Windows Media Player 8 too.

And if it comes to video files, lately I'm using Potplayer more, because I can play videos like there are no breaks in the switch. It also has customizable theme interface, too.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
Audio-player? I go with the Music Player app that Windows 8.1 has in-built. It satisfies my needs and that's all I need.

Video player is where things get more specific - I'm an avid anime fan. Therefore, I need a player with a good mkv support and with the ability to play dual-audio tracks and with/without subs without a hitch. I get that from Media-Player Classic. Used to use VLC but I found MPC so much more easier to use so I'm sticking to that.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I'll be a minority for Video Players and go with KM Player. .mkv support, ability to extract frames, plus it makes an automatic playlist out of your folder, what more can I ask?

Note that I bold the ability to extract frames. Guess how I made my avatar and signature gifs?

As for music player... Mine would be iTunes. I prefer to have a lot of individual playlists, and then create playlist folders to combine them as one. That way, I have a huge playlist with music from various fandoms, as well as for individual fandoms.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I rarely listen to audio tracks stored on my computer. I use Spotify for almost all music! And the few things I can't find there, I go to Youtube for.

Video though, I'm going VLC every time. Movies, clips from my camera etc. Everything visual such.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
VLC is all I've used for years. Flac support is all I ask for.

Though it's almost entirely for music -- I don't often watch videos on my computer, and if I do, it's usually a movie through Amazon or Netflix. :P

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Windows Media Player, never really saw the need for going out and getting something different. I barely listen to tracks on my computer anyways, I just stream from spotify or I<3radio.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
I love iTunes for my audio listening and I love Youtube for video streaming. That's all.

pkmin3033

I have iTunes for music, since I have 2 iPods...I've just gotten used to it. For everything else though, I use VLC...because it's pretty much guaranteed to play everything else. At least, I have yet to download something I can't play on it. xD

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
On Windows I use Foobar2000 for music and VLC for videos. On Linux I use MPlayer and DeaDBeeF (the latter is especially usefull for Chiptune music).

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When it comes to listening to music, I always find myself some streaming kind of program such as either Last.fm or Spotify. No need to download anything or pay, all you'd have to be doing is make sure that you have a decent Internet connection, and everything would be delivered to you without you doing any work at all. Just open the program, either search for tag or browse a genre, and hit play; you're all good!

I haven't known that those kind of things existed until about two years ago, unfortunately, which sucks; if I'd taken notice of them earlier, somehow, it would have been a lot better. Have spent a ton of money under music previously, and these programs would have saved me a whole lot of them.

As for playing videos and whatnot, I use anything that comes pre-installed with my operating system. On my mom's desktop, it's Windows Media Player. On my iBook (have purchased it ages ago, but thankfully, it's still under good condition), it's either QuickTime or iTunes. Finally, on my main laptop, which I've installed Ubuntu in and am using right now, it's "videos" (doesn't seem to have an actual name, which sucks).

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
These days I do a lot of media stuff via web browsing, but I used to be a big user of iTunes, even before I had a Mac. I also used QuickTime and VLC as video players.

These days though, everything is thanks to Chrome. I get my music via Grooveshark, and before that it was Pandora. Netflix also provides me anything I might want to watch, and if not I can usually stream it online. It's lesser quality when you're illegally streaming, but I find it OK if it'll be a one-time watch. Last I did it for was season 4 of Workaholics. It's a great show but you only really watch it once in a while. No point in having it eat up hard drive space if you're gonna pirate the 1080p version.

gnmmarechal

Hurricane the Blaziken
Years
On Windows, I really like BS Player, because it is very nice looking and grabs subtitles automatically for me.
On Linux I use the one which comes stock with Ubuntu, and on Android I use MX Player Pro, supports many codecs and file types, plus I can use subtitles with it.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
Music -> Clementine
Video -> VLC
Android:
Poweramp for music, VLC for videos

Poweramp was definitely worth the $, and VLC is the greatest video player ever

Years
VLC for video all the way. It's simple plus the fastest to load and buffer so I absolutely cannot see myself using any other video player even though I've attempted to in the past (when running into VLC issues which I later fixed). It's my baby.

As for music.. iTunes, although it's definitely not my favorite. I find it to be a bit clunky and unappealing but so far it's been serving me well, especially with the more recent updates. I already have it installed for my iPhone so may as well use it, heh.

Years
The only real music player I use to listen to music on my MacBook nowadays is QuickTime Player, and iTunes if that counts. Neither of them are really all that exciting but I haven't gone out of my way to look for anything more broad.

Back