• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestions for Films

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Alright guys, I'm not normally into anime movies, but I'm looking to see what kind of films that you should suggest me watching. I've been trying to hit all the anime classics but this isn't just a Miyazaki run, so give me some suggestions.

A few things:

• I prefer dubs, but if the dub is really really bad, please tell me, I would rather watch a good movie with subtitles than suffer a terrible dub. Please don't be a pretentious douche about it. Dubs like the original FMA were "decent" in my opinion, for example. I mean the REALLY bad ****.
  • This is not an anime list, I'm looking for something I can watch in 2-3 hours tops.
  • Don't just give me Miyazaki films, he's well known. It's not that I don't enjoy him, but his stuff is easy to find. I want to find some obscure great movies. So no Miyazaki, Akira (obviously), Ghost in the Shell (1995) ect. because they're already on my list.
  • Most movies made for anime franchises I'd rather not watch, I've tried a few and wanted to gut my eyes out afterward. There ARE exceptions but please give me the exception, don't just suggest the FMA movie because you're an Edward Elric fangirl.
  • I like action, comedy, fantasy, GOOD sci-fi and deep ****. I really loathe romance or typical anime high-school drivel unless it's really, really ****ing good.
  • I don't have a restriction on the date it was made, as long as it's good.

I haven't seen a ton of movies and I do want to expand my collection since even though I'm not huge on most anime, I do really enjoy the format in a movie length.

Sorry if my description makes me a total pleb. I just want good **** to watch, yo.

Weeaboo Name

Banned
Years
Senya Ichiya Monogatari - 1969
Cleopatra - 1970
Kanashimi no Belladonna - 1973

I'll start with what will probably be the most hit or miss films of the bunch. Experimental and erotic would probably be the best description for these.

The Ideon: A Contact - 1982
The Ideon: Be Invoked - 1982

The first film was a compilation of a full series but unless you would be able to sit through a 40 eps of 80s mecha I would highly recommend the films. Normally I would be dead against this but the second film was just so jaw dropping it would be a waste not to watch it. I'm not sure if you are a fan of Evangelion but this was one of the key influences of that.

Denshinbashira Elemi no Koi - 2009

Stopmotion about a utility pole falling in love. No really.

Eve no Jikan - 2010

Whilst I am not one of them a lot of people really love this sci-fi ova/film.

Galaxy Express 999 - 1979
Arcadia of My Youth - 1982

Two films from a massive universe of series, films and manga. Personally I prefer the series for both but the majority of people just watch the films. Galaxy Express is easily one of my favourite anime ever.

Junkers Come Here - 1994

A story about a girl, her parent's failing marriage and a magical dog.

Perfect Blue - 1998
Millennium Actress - 2001
Tokyo Godfathers - 2003
Paprika - 2006

I'm going to take a wild swing and say you have already seen these, or at least some of them. Satoshi Kon was pretty brilliant. Millennium Actress is my pick of the bunch.

Terra e... - 1980

Not quite as revolutionary as some like to make out but still great.

Years
Queen Millenia - 1982

Made by the same one as Galaxy Express 999

Tenshi no Tamago - 1985

If you watch nothing else, watch this.

Pale Coccoon - 2005

Well, it's not really a movie but still worth it.

Mobile Suit Gundam movie I-III

They summarize the original series from 1979. Absolute classics.

Strom Thunder

The Apocalypse :D
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 25, 2014
hey ! do you like something that touches the heart ? ha ha I mean I have some anime in my mind that are greater then anything else ! I love em but it depends. You said you love comedy, deep etc. I have one film in my mind that is soo deep in heart. I mean its one of the saddest Anime movie I've ever seen. It made me cry..

Grave of fire flies
This is a tragic, haunting and powerfully emotional film. It tells the story of two siblings: teenager Seita and his little sister Setsuko, who lost their mother in Tokyo bombings at the end of WWII. There's no one to look after them, and Seita has to steal if they want to survive.

its my like but for you -

Ghost in the Shell

This sci-fi anime movie takes place in the future, where the whole world is connected by a global electronic network. A cyborg police officer Motoko Kusanagi is trying to catch a mysterious hacker known as the Puppet Master, who is implanting fake memories into his victims' minds.28 points

One Piece: Strong World

20 years after his escape from Impel Down, the legendary pirate Shiki "the Golden Lion" reappears, causing massive upheaval. During his long seclusion, he was able to come up with a scheme to bring the World Government to its knees. On his way to execute the plan, Shiki crosses paths with the Straw Hat Pirates and becomes so impressed with Nami's knowledge of meteorology that he abducts her for his crew...

Vampire hunter D
Adapted from a series of novels, this stylish sci-fi / romance / action anime movie, Vampire Hunter D is set in a post-apocalyptic world in the year 12,090 A.D. where a vampires and werewolves terrorize human peasants.

Bleach: Fade to Black, I Call Your Name

Based on the popular Bleach anime series. In Soul Society, Mayuri Kurotsuchi is attacked in his laboratory by a pair of mysterious siblings wielding a scythe that erases his memories. In a frightened panic, Kurotsuchi damages a machine which causes a massive reiatsu explosion, creating a giant river of rampaging serpents, killing and freezing many Soul Reapers. Ichigo comes to Rukia's aid, but no one in Soul Society seems to remember him...

My Neighbor Totoro
A great adventure / fantasy / comedy anime movie for children, My Neighbor Totoro follows two young daughters of a professor - Satsuki and Mei - and their adventures with wood spirits in peaceful rural Japan. The most powerful of them is Totoro, the keeper of the forest who befriends the kids.

Afro Samurai: Resurrection

Afro is trying to live an ordinary life and refuses any challenge for his #1 headband. One stormy night he gets attacked by Jinno and a mysterious woman named Sio. They defeat him and take his headband as well as his father's remains. Afro has no choice but to take up his sword again, and cut through the enemies. This epic samurai anime movie has won a Primetime Emmy award.

Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Unlimited Blade Works is an anime movie adapted from the UBW route in the Fate/stay night visual novel game. It follows Shirou Emiya, an amateur magus who gets drawn into the war for obtaining the Holy Grail. 7 Masters and 7 Servants are participating, and Shirou becomes one of the Masters when he unwittingly summons his Servant, Saber.

My Last Day

Short animted story of a thief's last day on earth and first day as an immortal. Aka the Jesus anime film.

The Girl Who Leapt through time
Makoto Konno is an ordinary high school girl. One day she nearly dies in a bike accident, but survives by jumping back in time. With her newfound ability she decides to fix all the bad things that happened to her in the past. However, she finds out that every leap can cause unexpected and adverse consequences for people she cares about.

Spirited Away
A true masterpiece of an animated movie, Spirited Away was the first anime film to win an Academy Award. It's a magical story following the adventures of a 10 year old girl Chihiro who gets "spirited away" into a world of mythical Japanese gods and monsters.

Howl's Moving Castle
This is my personal favorite of Hayao Miyazaki's films because it involves grown up characters instead of kids, like his movies usually do. Howl is a powerful wizard and Sophie is a simple girl who is trying to undo a curse an evil witch put on her, and wanders into How's moving castle. It's a story of magic, battle and above all, love.

Blue - Must watch

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
If you're in the mood for something slow, then Wolf Children Ame and Yuki is a good one. It's more about a tale about a rite of passage of two werewolf children and it's really good. The director's the same as the one who made The Girl Who Leapt through Time mentioned in the above post, and I'm a personal fan of his works.

I think I've heard of this one, I keep forgetting its name though, thanks for bringing it up. I really did want to see that one.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
****, I wanted to be the first one to recommend Hosoda Mamoru's stuff. ;____; He's a pretty good dude whatwith Girl who leapt through time and Wolf Children under his belt. There's also this One Piece movie that he directed which is a good standalone watch - One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island. It may appear to look like a stupid-fun movie from the surface but things aren't quite as such in reality. It is the darkest One Piece anything around, enough said.

I reiterate and reinforce Lapras' recommendation of Satoshi Kon movies. I've only seen Perfect Blue out of the three that Lapras mentioned but I can wholeheartedly recommend his movies after watching what I saw. I'm sure Millennium Actress and Paprika (which served as inspiration for Inception) are just as good and I do plan to watch them soon myself.

There are also Makoto Shinkai's movies. They're the cases where your mileage may vary quite a bit. These movies generally deals with themes involving unrequited love aaaaannnndd - yeah, that's about it lol. But apart from the theme, one thing common in his movie is the fact that they're all drop dead gorgeous in visuals. They look so freakin' amazing that it is almost as if most of them can just be stopped anytime and can be made as a freakin' wallpaper! The ones I'd recommend are Garden of Words and 5 Centimeters Per Second.

Then, apart from all these big name peeps' works, there are these short works by new and up-coming studios (crowd-funded short movies, as far as I'm aware) which are bunched under the "anime mirai" term. Little Witch Academia and Harmonie are two works that stood out for me. You can check out the rest too - they're pretty short at like 20ish minute length and are all standalone works.

I'm not much of a movie fan (watch series much more often) so I can't really recommend much more than what's already been recommended. Oh, and Lapras mentioned Eve no Jikan/Time of Eve. It is pretty sweet, yes. Do give it a shot if you're into sci-fi.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
As others have said before me, try Leiji Matsumoto. Fun stuff; not to go to if you want serious.

If you do want srs, try Patlabor 2 (Mamoru Oshii, Ghost in the Shell).

For a great all rounder; Sakasama no Patema. Has a touch of romance, but is mostly sci-fi, great story and is visually amazing.

Sir Codin

Ninja Scroll is one of the most badass things ever.

Back