• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Starters

Who was your Unova starter?

• Total voters

Astraea

The Storm of Friendship
Years
  • Age 25
  • IDK
  • Seen Jan 23, 2022
Chose snivy when I first played it, putting the fact I handle grass types better than any other types which move set and all and as a fire type I caught a darmanitan and as a water type simipour, so yes it was my most favourite starter

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
Years
Oshawott because he was a cute 'wotter until he evolved. He wasn't very helpful on my team though... I switched him out for Blastoise early in the game when he was on his 2nd evo.
I usually pick fire starters but tepig makes me think of bacon.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
latest

Emboar by a mile. I love his design and his stats, while a bit awkward, can lend themselves to a fairly bulky powerhouse. It's even a tossup between him and Infernape for my all-time favorite Fire-type starter.

blue

gucci
Years
Unova introduced some of the strongest starter Pokémon in a long time, but as always I'm going for Tepig! I used Tepig in my first playthrough of White and I just really enjoyed using it overall.

Years
I chose Snivy in my Black game, since I thought it was pretty neat, and this was before I really entered the world of competition with Pokémon. When I got Black 2, I went with Tepig. I chose Tepig in Black 2 because it was my second-favorite behind Snivy, and I thought getting two Snivys was repetitive.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
The first time I played the game, I planned to pick Snivy, but for some reason I ended up going with Oshawott instead. Over the course of my fifth gen games, I have played with all three starters, but I think my favorite one would have to be Tepig. Design-wise, I love Serperior, but its movepool was so awful it wasn't fun using at all. I voted for Oshawott because it was my first.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2016
The very first time I have taken a fire type as a starter... Tepig. Looked really interesting, and I thought "I've never taken a fire type yet through the last 4 gens, so, why not?"

Years
  • Seen Mar 8, 2018
On my first run of White I took Snivy, simply preferring the design over all the others, making it the first time I'd ever chosen a grass type starter during the first run of a game. I did my second run with Oshawott, and absolutely adored both Dewott and Samurott and so my Black 2 choice just had to be Oshawott again.
I'm so glad that I wasn't drawn in by Tepig's cuteness - there's only so long I can stomach the aesthetics of the remainder of that evolutionary tree.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I picked Oshawott the first time I played White. That was actually the first time I picked the water starter on my first playthrough. I used the other starters at least once on later playthroughs, but I'm not a huge fan of this batch, unfortunately. The designs of the first stages are all great and I had high hopes for them, but none of their final evolutions appeal to me, so I tend to pick my starter and ditch it for something else pretty quickly.

Years
I generally choose Oshawott, though sometimes I go for Tepig. I really like Samurott.

As adorable as all three of them are, the Gen 5 starters are actually my least favourite out of all starters :/

Years
Definetely Snivy! It's simply so cute in its first form but when it evolves to its last form it looks so elegant to me.. i can't help but love it~! >_< Chose it in Black, chose it in White 2~

Years
I was Team Oshawott in my first fifth generation playthrough in White! It was very useful and remains one of my favorite starters to play with overall.. but come B/W2 I went with Snivy as it grew on me a lot by then. Definitely tougher to use with a limited movepool but nonetheless I really enjoyed having on one my team and adore Serperior.

Tepig though, have yet to try it out as I'm not fond of its evolutions. ;/

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Ultimately I went with Oshawott, I've also used Snivy, but not Tepig. I liked the end designs for both Oshawott and Snviy, but in the end neither clicked with me at any point. I think I dumped both of them at some point because they bored me. I haven't gotten around to Tepig because I find the final stage extremely stupid looking and I just don't like to play the fifth gen. In my opinion these were the worst batch of starters.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
I choose snivy because snivy in its final form(Serperior)it has high base speed and very good defense and is very adorable.Serperior's high base Speed makes it a viable Calm Mind user, giving it the ability to boost its Special Attack to clean up later in the game.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 15, 2017
i chose snivy, but later realized i liked a lot more oshawott and samurott

Back