• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"We are all Americans": The US and Cuba restore diplomatic relations after 54 years

Sir Codin

I'm wondering more about the difference between political ideologies and economic ideologies between the two countries and what effect that might have in negotiations.

The United States is a constitutional republic with a multi-party political system and a capitalist mixed economy, while Cuba is described as a Marxist-Leninist single party state. There's got to be at least some people in both countries worried about what would happen about bringing ideas from either ideology into either country.

Last edited:
Years
I'm wondering more about the difference between political ideologies and economic ideologies between the two countries and what effect that might have in negotiations.

The United States is a constitutional republic with a multi-party political system and a capitalist mixed economy, while Cuba is described as a Marxist-Leninist single party state. There's got to be at least some people in both countries worried about what would happen about bringing ideas from either ideology into either country.

I'd imagine the Cubans would be more scared because of their small size next to the United States, but there are several mitigating factors. First of all, the negotiations are ongoing, so it's clear to me that the Cuban government has prepared or considered the threat of ideological influence. Secondly, the embargo is not going to be lifted, but relaxed. I think both parties are just looking for normalized relations at this point and don't have designs against each other.

If Americans manage to go ape**** over this, I'll blame ****** mass media. Cuba is not a threat to the United States.

Back