• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red/Blue remakes on 3DS

Years
They will never make a main entry Pokémon game on Wii U or any other home console. They already explained why (because Pokémon mean Pocket Monster and so the game has to be portable).
However, seing a BRY remake could be nice, and the fact that there's still two games for Gen VI (see what Hoenn said before), that could be a possibility (but we could also get XY sequels for exemple).
If those remakes are made, which is quite possible with the coming of Pokémon Red and Pokémon Green 20th anniversary, however, I wonder what they could add more...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Normally I would like a remake but each time they make a remake they add in some of the current Gen Pokémon. That's a bit of an issue for me as it completely distorts the the series and the Gen order....I personally wouldn't mind if they made a duo title where they have both the Gen I and II story. Their both heavily interconnected and I rather have it close to the original as possible.

That includes using Kris rather than Lyra.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
If they do decide to create another Red and Blue remake in future, on whatever console it may be, I believe it would be nice if they were to add more events in Sevii Islands. When it comes to creating remakes, I don't believe they don't have to put much effort into writing scripts, as they already have them available from previous versions (though, I could imagine them to update a few things for compatibility reasons). With that in mind, if they do decide to make new ones, these could turn into "extras," which don't necessarily have to be part of main story-line (post-game, rather--more Sevii Islands content). I hope I'm making a bit of sense here, haha. Though, none of this would matter if they decide to go with sequels, and not remakes.

The ???

The one true question mark
Years
  • Age 27
  • ???
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Like most of people here said.. If gamefreak develops a game with an updated looking Kanto that has various new important characters, few sidequests, some NPCs that talk about Kalos, Unova etc region.
Orange League, a great story of Legendaries (like in hoenn, sinnoh) etc..

I'd buy the **** out of this game. After all, Kanto is my favourite region. WE NEED A GAME LIKE THIS!

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2016
they could make a 20 year anniversary in which the kid of the original protagonist gets his first pkmn from gary oak and have a new story.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
they could make a 20 year anniversary in which the kid of the original protagonist gets his first pkmn from gary oak and have a new story.

It would be interesting to see how the story unfolds! If our original protagonist were to get his or her own child and whatnot, Professor Oak would likely be retired by then, so getting starter Pokémon from someone else is an option. Obtaining them from Gary Oak would seem right; he might not precisely be a professor himself (nor an assistant, like Bianca), but he would indeed be a former Champion, and being handed something by such a person does sound like a good way to start off the game (at least to me). I hope I'm making a bit of sense here, haha.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
I can't believe this thread is still going :P

A Pokémon from Gary Oak for Red's son, eh? That sounds pretty awesome.

I was just thinking last night how awesome it would be if we got a remake of the original games. They could do a whole lot of different things to shake up the game and make it a brand new experience.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
This is kind of a controversial topic (as I've learned the hard way elsewhere), but here are my thoughts...

Now that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are out, Generation 1 is the last Generation to be unavailable on the 3DS, as neither RBY or FRLG can be played on anything newer than a DS Lite (a very obsolete handheld that's only becoming harder to find as time goes on). Furthermore, the games themselves aren't exactly easy to find, either. Being GB/C games, RBY suffer from dead batteries (albeit, not to the extent as GSC) and extremely outdated graphics/mechanics. Even FRLG aren't a whole lot better, lacking all of the graphical and mechanical improvements (as well as Pokémon) that have been added to the games after Gen 3, and since they were created for the most hacked/bootlegged handheld ever, finding a legit copy is an absolute nightmare nowadays. (And, if you find one, get ready to pay a ton of $$$ for it, because old Pokémon games sell for big bucks, nowadays.)

Aside from the gameplay/mechanical reasons, there's another valid reason to remake Generation 1 again--The timeline. Aside from the obvious reason of having Fairies and Megas exist in both Hoenn and Gen 1 Kanto (which are supposed to take place at the same time), there are also some HUGE continuity conflicts between Yellow and FRLG in regards to HGSS, as I've explained elsewhere:

I think the root of the whole problem with the "remakes vs originals" argument is the fact that FRLG didn't incorporate anything from Yellow, despite that being the canon game for Gen 1, as established by GSC, and HGSS were designed more as GSC remakes than FRLG sequels, so the Yellow callbacks remained, even though they no longer made sense with the timeline.

Just like HGSS were able to merge the Gold/Silver and Crystal storylines, FRLG should've also been able to merge Red/Blue and Yellow. They could've given all of the Gym Leaders their Yellow teams, for example, and had Jessie/James appear just like they did in Yellow (except as a double battle, this time). Also, they could've given the player a non-evolving Pikachu with a Light Ball early in the game (Viridian Forest, maybe?) and handed out the other two starters somewhere in the postgame. And, ideally, Pikachu (and the starters) would've always been following you, just like in Yellow.

(Interestingly, one Yellow-exclusive that almost returned in FRLG was the Pikachu's Beach minigame, as proven by unused data for a house interior located on Route 19. So many missed opportunities with these games...)

A proper remake that either straight-up remakes Yellow or incorporates elements from both Red/Blue and Yellow would solve this debate once and for all.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years
A proper remake that either straight-up remakes Yellow or incorporates elements from both Red/Blue and Yellow would solve this debate once and for all.

Precisely this... the twentieth anniversary of Pokemon is next year. This is a monumental milestone for many gaming franchises, and what better way to celebrate than to give the original fans a blast from the past, while letting the new fans experience what we did years ago?

Much like you said, but a bit of my own personal opinion, I'd really just like to see a special Yellow remake next year. That way the folks that would argue about FRLG being the R/B remakes wouldn't have a reason to complain. Yellow was Red/Blue but in a way... better. The likelihood of this occuring, however, is slim. The reason obviously being that Yellow was supposed to mimic the Anime, and the Anime is so far along that many new fans wouldn't quite understand. I could be completely wrong, however.

Needless to say, as much as many people might rage about it, 2015 needs to bring about remakes for Red & Blue, or just Yellow. It'd be a nice 20th anniversary 'gift' to the original Pokemon fans that still play the series, and it'd introduce the new fans into the stories that started it all, brought forward to better technologies for ease of access.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
This is kind of a controversial topic (as I've learned the hard way elsewhere), but here are my thoughts...

Now that OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire are out, Generation 1 is the last Generation to be unavailable on the 3DS, as neither RBY or FRLG can be played on anything newer than a DS Lite (a very obsolete handheld that's only becoming harder to find as time goes on). Furthermore, the games themselves aren't exactly easy to find, either. Being GB/C games, RBY suffer from dead batteries (albeit, not to the extent as GSC) and extremely outdated graphics/mechanics. Even FRLG aren't a whole lot better, lacking all of the graphical and mechanical improvements (as well as Pokémon) that have been added to the games after Gen 3, and since they were created for the most hacked/bootlegged handheld ever, finding a legit copy is an absolute nightmare nowadays. (And, if you find one, get ready to pay a ton of $$$ for it, because old Pokémon games sell for big bucks, nowadays.)

Aside from the gameplay/mechanical reasons, there's another valid reason to remake Generation 1 again--The timeline. Aside from the obvious reason of having Fairies and Megas exist in both Hoenn and Gen 1 Kanto (which are supposed to take place at the same time), there are also some HUGE continuity conflicts between Yellow and FRLG in regards to HGSS, as I've explained elsewhere:

How was Yellow established as the canon game anyways? Is it because Red has Pikachu and all of the Kanto starters?

Yellow is more of a special instead of a proper third version. FrLg incorperated things from the "proper third version" which was Japanese only, that being blue with the appearance rates and exclusives.
It'll be weird to have two pair of remakes in one Gen, especially since all of the Kanto legends and the starters/mascots are available in XY. It'll be better if GF start Gen VII in 2016 (the 20th anniversary) and make the games take place in Kanto or perhaps in what lies north of Kanto and have Kanto for post game.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Much like you said, but a bit of my own personal opinion, I'd really just like to see a special Yellow remake next year. That way the folks that would argue about FRLG being the R/B remakes wouldn't have a reason to complain. Yellow was Red/Blue but in a way... better. The likelihood of this occuring, however, is slim. The reason obviously being that Yellow was supposed to mimic the Anime, and the Anime is so far along that many new fans wouldn't quite understand. I could be completely wrong, however.

Needless to say, as much as many people might rage about it, 2015 needs to bring about remakes for Red & Blue, or just Yellow. It'd be a nice 20th anniversary 'gift' to the original Pokemon fans that still play the series, and it'd introduce the new fans into the stories that started it all, brought forward to better technologies for ease of access.

The entire first Generation, in general, is old now. Did you know when FRLG came out? 2004. That's 10 years ago. There are many fans who were in diapers or weren't even born yet when those games were released.

And, they were made for an obsolete handheld with obsolete graphics and mechanics. Hard to believe it, but FRLG didn't even have things like a physical/special split or a real time clock, let alone Fairies and Megas. Do people really expect newer fans who want to experience the first Generation to go hunt down a DS Lite and deal with graphics and mechanics far older than they're used to? Sure, emulators exist, but they're not entirely legal, and they don't have any connectivity with the newer games, so they can't be a solution.

And, then, there's the timeline. FRLG don't even take place on the same timeline as the newest games anymore, and just as Paramount isn't rushing to make another spinoff of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Game Freak isn't rushing to continue the storyline of Beta Reality Prime. You can't make a sequel of something that doesn't exist, and as far as GF is concerned, Generation 1 doesn't.

A new remake is the only way to go at this point, and a 20th Anniversary Yellow remake (as you suggested) would be the perfect way to do it. Anime references or not, Yellow is more canon than the other two (in regards to GSC), and it *is* a better, more complete game--all three starters, better Gym teams, game versions of the TRio (Who would be a double battle in a remake), following Pikachu (who would have the Light Ball in a remake), etc. Bring it on!

How was Yellow established as the canon game anyways? Is it because Red has Pikachu and all of the Kanto starters?

Yellow is more of a special instead of a proper third version. FrLg incorperated things from the "proper third version" which was Japanese only, that being blue with the appearance rates and exclusives..

Oh, not this argument again. *eyeroll* If any game was a "special edition," it was JP Blue. It was only released to subscribers of a certain magazine, and only in *one* country. It didn't bring anything new to the table except less-ugly graphics and different wild encounters (which weren't actually carried over to FRLG, anyways).

Yellow, on the other hand, was a true Third Version, in that it altered the plot and added new events and characters, just as Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum would later do for their respective Generations. Just because it took a few cues from the then-popular anime doesn't make it any less canon (or, good, as it's often implied).

Now, as to why it's canon in regards to GSC, well, I wrote this at another site:

The most canon version of Generation 1's story is undoubtedly Yellow. There's just no getting around Red's canon team. Why else would he have an overleveled Pikachu as his ace if it wasn't his (non-evolving) starter? And, in what other game could you get all three Kanto starters without trading? Based on Snorlax and Espeon, his team was clearly meant to be entirely made up of Gift/Event Pokémon, and Yellow is the only game where all of those Pokémon were given to you.

But, it's more than just Red's team. It's Koga and Erika, as well. Koga's ace was Weezing in Red/Blue, while it was Venomoth in Yellow. Guess which was on his GSC team? (Hint: It was the violet moth.)

Similarly, Erika's ace was Vileplume in Red/Blue, while it was Gloom in Yellow. Her ace was Bellossom in GSC. Bellossom comes from Gloom, not Vileplume. You do the math.

And, it's also worth pointing out that Red and Blue's GSC sprites are direct recolors of their sprites from Yellow. The Yellow sprites also happen to more closely resemble their official art than the Red and Blue sprites.

The only thing in GSC that explicitly points back to Red/Blue instead of Yellow is Blue's team, but even then, it didn't include a starter, so that doesn't mean a whole lot. And, that's just one Red/Blue reference among all of these Yellow references.

Now, as for Jessie and James... Some may ask, "If Yellow's canon, then why weren't they in GSC?" And, to that I say, "So what?" Lorelei and Agatha neither appeared or were referenced in GSC, either. Are they not canon, as well? Three whole years separate Yellow from GSC, so who knows what became of Jessie and James in the time between then? They might have been in a completely different region for all we knew.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
Given Yellow was my first ever GB game (and indeed the first game I ever played), I would love to see a game based on it, or a full-blown enhanced remake, with all the features that have made it into the Generation VI games so far.

Years
The entire first Generation, in general, is old now. Did you know when FRLG came out? 2004. That's 10 years ago. There are many fans who were in diapers or weren't even born yet when those games were released.

And, they were made for an obsolete handheld with obsolete graphics and mechanics. Hard to believe it, but FRLG didn't even have things like a physical/special split or a real time clock, let alone Fairies and Megas. Do people really expect newer fans who want to experience the first Generation to go hunt down a DS Lite and deal with graphics and mechanics far older than they're used to? Sure, emulators exist, but they're not entirely legal, and they don't have any connectivity with the newer games, so they can't be a solution.

And, then, there's the timeline. FRLG don't even take place on the same timeline as the newest games anymore, and just as Paramount isn't rushing to make another spinoff of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Game Freak isn't rushing to continue the storyline of Beta Reality Prime. You can't make a sequel of something that doesn't exist, and as far as GF is concerned, Generation 1 doesn't.

A new remake is the only way to go at this point, and a 20th Anniversary Yellow remake (as you suggested) would be the perfect way to do it. Anime references or not, Yellow is more canon than the other two (in regards to GSC), and it *is* a better, more complete game--all three starters, better Gym teams, game versions of the TRio (Who would be a double battle in a remake), following Pikachu (who would have the Light Ball in a remake), etc. Bring it on!

Oh, not this argument again. *eyeroll* If any game was a "special edition," it was JP Blue. It was only released to subscribers of a certain magazine, and only in *one* country. It didn't bring anything new to the table except less-ugly graphics and different wild encounters (which weren't actually carried over to FRLG, anyways).

Yellow, on the other hand, was a true Third Version, in that it altered the plot and added new events and characters, just as Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum would later do for their respective Generations. Just because it took a few cues from the then-popular anime doesn't make it any less canon (or, good, as it's often implied).

Now, as to why it's canon in regards to GSC, well, I wrote this at another site:

I don't think GF will be able to make the Yellow (and maybe they should add Blue too to make it a pair) remake in time though...as Gen VI seems like it only has two games left according to rumors about the games coding having data to trade to six versions, two being XY, another two apperantly are OrAs, and that only leaves 2 more which are likely Sequels/prequels/dual third versions or Pokemon Z and Delta Emerald. Well I guess they could go with Z and make Thunder Yellow...
Anyways it'll be lame as we can get all of the starters and all the pokemon from XY with ORAS filling in the gaps minus Mew...I think it'll be better for Gf to save it for the 25th anniversary in 2021 (which will likely be after DP remakes).

Btw FrLg still take place in the same timeline as ORAS except that ORAS is in alternate version of that same time period.
Actually one of the few reasons I would support a Yellow remake coming out this generation is that I want to see alternate Kanto in a world where Megas exist without them needing to contradict Gen VII anymore than it already contradicts itself. Well that and I wouldn't mind seeing a Mewtwo versus Mew post game similar to how we had the Delta Episode have Rayquaza Vs. Deoxys.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
Anyways it'll be lame as we can get all of the starters and all the pokemon from XY with ORAS filling in the gaps minus Mew...I think it'll be better for Gf to save it for the 25th anniversary in 2021 (which will likely be after DP remakes).

Frankly, it would be dumb to remake Gen 4 before Gen 1. Diamond may be getting old, but it can still be played on a 3DS. LeafGreen can't. Plus, Gen 4 still has things like a Physical/Special split, a day/night cycle, and 3D graphics that neither version of Gen 1 has.

Sure, *I* still own my old GBC, GBA SP, and Blue/Yellow cartridges (with working batteries, even), and the outdated graphics and mechanics of those games don't bother me a bit. But, that's not the case for most people, especially younger fans. They don't have any way to play the first Generation outside of 10-15 year old games on emulators, which as I said, will never be a solution.

Btw FrLg still take place in the same timeline as ORAS except that ORAS is in alternate version of that same time period.

An "alternate version of that same time period" is a different timeline. FRLG only exist alongside the original RSE, where Dark/Steel existed, but Fairies/Megas didn't. They can't exist in either the Alpha Reality (ie. RBY and GSC) or the Omega Reality (ie. ORAS and XY), because they would contradict too many details.

Yes, there is a version of Gen 1 that takes place in the Omega Reality, but it's a game that we haven't seen yet. That's where a new remake would come in.

Actually one of the few reasons I would support a Yellow remake coming out this generation is that I want to see alternate Kanto in a world where Megas exist without them needing to contradict Gen VII anymore than it already contradicts itself. Well that and I wouldn't mind seeing a Mewtwo versus Mew post game similar to how we had the Delta Episode have Rayquaza Vs. Deoxys.

That's exactly why I want a Yellow remake, too. I'm ready to see a modern Gen 1.

Years
Frankly, it would be dumb to remake Gen 4 before Gen 1. Diamond may be getting old, but it can still be played on a 3DS. LeafGreen can't. Plus, Gen 4 still has things like a Physical/Special split, a day/night cycle, and 3D graphics that neither version of Gen 1 has.

Sure, *I* still own my old GBC, GBA SP, and Blue/Yellow cartridges (with working batteries, even), and the outdated graphics and mechanics of those games don't bother me a bit. But, that's not the case for most people, especially younger fans. They don't have any way to play the first Generation outside of 10-15 year old games on emulators, which as I said, will never be a solution.

An "alternate version of that same time period" is a different timeline. FRLG only exist alongside the original RSE, where Dark/Steel existed, but Fairies/Megas didn't. They can't exist in either the Alpha Reality (ie. RBY and GSC) or the Omega Reality (ie. ORAS and XY), because they would contradict too many details.

Yes, there is a version of Gen 1 that takes place in the Omega Reality, but it's a game that we haven't seen yet. That's where a new remake would come in.

That's exactly why I want a Yellow remake, too. I'm ready to see a modern Gen 1.
Speaking about alternates if they do bring back Gen I/Gen III style Kanto then we'll see Kanto in all the different alternate world established thus far. I wonder about the mascots...if they do make only Yellow how will they make Pikachu special like how they made Groudon and Kyogre (and Rayquaza) special? Allow it to evolve and have Mega Raichu which is Yellow thus still fitting the game's name? Maybe special Pikachu that is the only intermediate evolution that can Mega evolve? Or maybe a Pichu will be the starter instead with it gradually evolving. Perhaps they could make it so that Pikachu learns a special move at Lv. 100 that it can't learn as a Raichu to make people keep it as a Pikachu longer. Personally I wouldn't mind them acknowlodging Pikachu's pre evolution and evolution. At least have Pichu...

Btw the reason I put DP remakes first is because of the thus far patter/coincidence of the games getting remade every 2 extra years added to the time of the remakes prior with their originals like FrLg had 8 between theirs, and HgSs had 10, and OrAs had 12. So it stands to reason that DP may be 14 (it can't be 8 as this is their 8th, and it very likely won't be 10 as 2016 will be that and we'll likely get Gen VII or Z by then) so 2020 seems like a reasonable time. It's really hard to place another Kanto remake into a time where it'll make sense to have it take place without something else coming before it.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 28, 2016
With how outdated FR/LG are in terms of mechanics (lacking many things such as the Physical/Special split, Fairy Types, a Day/Night cycle, etc...), I think a game returning to Kanto is inevitable. That being said, I'm honestly not sure whether or not I'd want a re-remake or a new game completely that takes place in the Kanto region X amount of years before/after the events of RBY/FRLG.

I think we can all admit that, regardless of how much we liked the Kanto games, that Kanto is pretty lacking as a region when compared to some of the newer ones. And even by Pokemon standards, the plot isn't that good. Obviously, most of the problems with Kanto when compared to other regions come from the fact that it was the first ever region and Game Freak were most likely limited in what they could do by the Gameboy's limitations, but regardless of that, Game Freak will have to make some large changes to Kanto, the plot, and the Pokemon distribution in order to prevent the hypothetical remakes from seeming boring to newer fans of the series to the point where it'll seem like a different game entirely. For this reason I feel that, instead of giving us RBY remakes, they should make a new game that takes place in the Kanto region a certain amount of years after the events of RBY (or have it take place at the same time as the originals but in a different timeline like ORAS).

I don't know about you guys, but I really enjoyed Gen 2 / Gen 4 Kanto and (kinda) liked B2/W2 Unova; being able to see how the region had changed was something that I found really interesting and to this day I hope that Game Freak will do something similar with another region. The one complaint that I did have about this though was that after a certain point, the region just felt the same as it was in the previous game due to a rather small time difference (only a few years). So I feel like a sequel/alternate timeline game taking place in Kanto definitely has potential. Hopefully if such games are made, Game Freak does make Kanto more interesting (perhaps the routes near Fuchsia City could be more like the southern part of Sinnoh's route 212, the routes near Lavender Town could have a darker tileset with dead trees or something, the Sevii Islands could have more content in general) as well as add in more postgame content since the Sevii Islands weren't really that great imo.

I'd be fine with a remake (perhaps a remake of Yellow instead of one of R/B/FR/LG?) or a new game taking place in Kanto, but I'd honestly prefer the latter.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
Years

My point exactly! At least someone else gets it, the last few people I had this discussion with crossed their arms, puffed their cheeks out, and had a tantrum. They didn't even offer a proper argument, they just said we don't need another Kanto remake, because "Kanto was boring". Then went on to say Diamond/Pearl/Platinum need a 3DS remake.

Hello? D/P/PT are all current gen. Granted they aren't in 3D, but neither is HG/SS! FR/LG, like you said, are the only Pokemon games that aren't current. So thank you for actually agreeing with me, and giving me a decent discussion on the topic :D .

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
I wonder about the mascots...if they do make only Yellow how will they make Pikachu special like how they made Groudon and Kyogre (and Rayquaza) special? Allow it to evolve and have Mega Raichu which is Yellow thus still fitting the game's name? Maybe special Pikachu that is the only intermediate evolution that can Mega evolve? Or maybe a Pichu will be the starter instead with it gradually evolving. Perhaps they could make it so that Pikachu learns a special move at Lv. 100 that it can't learn as a Raichu to make people keep it as a Pikachu longer. Personally I wouldn't mind them acknowlodging Pikachu's pre evolution and evolution. At least have Pichu...

I wouldn't want to start with a Pichu; it's stats are terrible, even by Baby standards. Imagine just how much more of a nightmare Brock would be.

And, I also don't want Pikachu to get a Mega Evolution. It already obsoletes Raichu enough with the Light Ball. Instead, let Raichu have the Mega (either Electric/Fairy or Electric/Fighting).

Here are some ways Pikachu could stand out:

- Guaranteed Light Ball
- Learns Volt Tackle at L50 (instead of Thunder)
- Can learn Surf and Fly straight from the HMs
- Will always follow you (like in the originals)

Btw the reason I put DP remakes first is because of the thus far patter/coincidence of the games getting remade every 2 extra years added to the time of the remakes prior with their originals like FrLg had 8 between theirs, and HgSs had 10, and OrAs had 12. So it stands to reason that DP may be 14 (it can't be 8 as this is their 8th, and it very likely won't be 10 as 2016 will be that and we'll likely get Gen VII or Z by then) so 2020 seems like a reasonable time. It's really hard to place another Kanto remake into a time where it'll make sense to have it take place without something else coming before it.

But, FRLG are OLDER than Diamond and Pearl! They're the last Generation to not be on a modern handheld, so it wouldn't be fair to skip them over for a Gen that is on one. People who want to replay Gen 4 can just find a copy of Platinum and stick it into their 3DS. Those who want to replay Gen 1 aren't so lucky.

Based on the pattern you pointed out, the Gen 1 remakes would come out in 2018, which happens to be the 20th anniversary of Yellow's release in Japan (9/12/1998) and Red & Blue's release in North America (9/28/1998). That would be a good time to do it.

With how outdated FR/LG are in terms of mechanics (lacking many things such as the Physical/Special split, Fairy Types, a Day/Night cycle, etc...), I think a game returning to Kanto is inevitable. That being said, I'm honestly not sure whether or not I'd want a re-remake or a new game completely that takes place in the Kanto region X amount of years before/after the events of RBY/FRLG.

I think we can all admit that, regardless of how much we liked the Kanto games, that Kanto is pretty lacking as a region when compared to some of the newer ones. And even by Pokemon standards, the plot isn't that good. Obviously, most of the problems with Kanto when compared to other regions come from the fact that it was the first ever region and Game Freak were most likely limited in what they could do by the Gameboy's limitations, but regardless of that, Game Freak will have to make some large changes to Kanto, the plot, and the Pokemon distribution in order to prevent the hypothetical remakes from seeming boring to newer fans of the series to the point where it'll seem like a different game entirely. For this reason I feel that, instead of giving us RBY remakes, they should make a new game that takes place in the Kanto region a certain amount of years after the events of RBY (or have it take place at the same time as the originals but in a different timeline like ORAS).

I don't know about you guys, but I really enjoyed Gen 2 / Gen 4 Kanto and (kinda) liked B2/W2 Unova; being able to see how the region had changed was something that I found really interesting and to this day I hope that Game Freak will do something similar with another region. The one complaint that I did have about this though was that after a certain point, the region just felt the same as it was in the previous game due to a rather small time difference (only a few years). So I feel like a sequel/alternate timeline game taking place in Kanto definitely has potential. Hopefully if such games are made, Game Freak does make Kanto more interesting (perhaps the routes near Fuchsia City could be more like the southern part of Sinnoh's route 212, the routes near Lavender Town could have a darker tileset with dead trees or something, the Sevii Islands could have more content in general) as well as add in more postgame content since the Sevii Islands weren't really that great imo.

I'd be fine with a remake (perhaps a remake of Yellow instead of one of R/B/FR/LG?) or a new game taking place in Kanto, but I'd honestly prefer the latter.

As I've said before, a problem with a sequel is that there isn't anything for it to be a sequel to. Neither RBY or FRLG exist on the current timeline, and GF isn't going to create any more games for a dead timeline. You need to have a BW before you can have a B2W2.

There's nothing stopping them from deepening the storyline and making Kanto more interesting in a remake. Look at what HGSS and ORAS did for their respective games. A remake would be part of a new timeline and on a new handheld, so they wouldn't (and shouldn't) be obligated to make an exact clone of the originals.

My point exactly! At least someone else gets it, the last few people I had this discussion with crossed their arms, puffed their cheeks out, and had a tantrum. They didn't even offer a proper argument, they just said we don't need another Kanto remake, because "Kanto was boring". Then went on to say Diamond/Pearl/Platinum need a 3DS remake.

Hello? D/P/PT are all current gen. Granted they aren't in 3D, but neither is HG/SS! FR/LG, like you said, are the only Pokemon games that aren't current. So thank you for actually agreeing with me, and giving me a decent discussion on the topic :D .

Thank you! FRLG may be remakes, themselves, but they are OLD games that were made for a completely obsolete handheld. Why should Gen 1 be left to languish in the GBA era?

If you don't like Kanto, well, nobody would be forcing you to buy the game. I can't stand Hoenn, myself, but that didn't mean that Gen 3 wasn't in need of remakes. My personal preferences on whether or not a Generation "sucks" don't mean squat.

Years
Well Gen 3 also includes FrLg (and Emerald), just saying. While Kanto is next to Unova as my least favorite regions (with Hoenn as my fav) I would like to see what they do with it's story line after seeing what they did with RS.

Btw saying FrLg were made for an obsolete console makes it sound like the GBA was already obsolete when the games themselves came out...

2018 won't be a bad time actually. I guess they could start Gen VII on 2016, have the third version/sequels on 2017 or 2019, have Yellow on 2018, have a break and have DP remakes. Or maybe Yellow will be like FrLg were to Emerald in Japan, those three were released in 2004 there. Maybe they could be release a couple of months after the start of Gen VIII which maybe 2018 (btw I just figured how you got this from my pattern...2004 plus 14. Then DP remakes by 2022? and HgSs remakes by 2028?), and have a third version in 2019, and by 2020 DP remakes. Of course if they do that then next will come HgSs remakes as they will eventually have as much issues as the main Kanto games do now...and then we Hoenn fans will want Delta Emerald (I will be way too old though at this rate)...and so on...

You know if they go ahead and remake Yellow they should throw in Johto and Hoenn...at least Johto to push keep the tide of another HgSs away for the time being. Since the Yellow was based on the anime they could take cues and add anime stuff to Johto. Essential a Yellow remake will become a tribute to the Original saga of the anime. Also that'll make Sinnoh the most outdated region design wise (well actually it is already as DPP were before HgSs and those had Kanto in them, and now Hoenn which was the former oldest has been remade).

Back