• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starters!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
The_three_Unova_starters.JPG

An obvious question that's asked time and time again - which is your favourite Unova starter and which one do you start the games with most often?

Years
I think I tend to go with Oshawott? But I don't really have a favorite, as I like them all about the same so I tend to switch it up each time I play, or even not use a starter all together. I think my favorite for a line is probably the Snivy line, but individually is probably Dewott.

Years
Their final lines are a little disappointing on the whole, but TEPIG FOREVER YO.

Look at dat snout. And forget the anime's portrayal, doesn't do him justice. :P

I agree with flight though, the starters in general were quite lackluster in terms of typing and movesets. It makes them not-so-enjoyable to use, compared to other starters. They're not bad, they're just not fantastic.

Years
250px-501Oshawott.png

Oshawott is love, Oshawott is life.

I always pick this blue cutie as my partner whenever I play a Unova game, because it's my Poke-mascot and literally the best of the three since it's the only one with stats that aren't in the wrong places.

Also, I love the Water-type starters a lot so no brainer.

Years
Snivy is my favourite, when I first started playing Black & white I choose Snivy because it's final evolution looked gorgeous. I tend to get attached to the Pokemon I use in Play-throughs, I spent a lot time in my first play-through that is the main reason I like Snivy the most. Oshawott is adorable and grew on me when I played with it the second time, It's final evolution is lovely. This is why Oshawott deserves the second place, meaning the third place goes to Tepig. I never used Tepig the reason why is that I only like it's first evolution... His second and final evolution are wasted on me for few reason. 1. I tend to dislike a lot of the fighting-type pokemon. 2. I just don't like how they are designed. 3. This is the third time they made a Fire/Fighting Starter. It is a matter of taste, I get why they are appealing to others. Tepig evolution line looks buff and has a high attack. If I were to use Tepig in a play-through I think I wouldn't evolve it. Tepig it-self looks super-cute ^-^

Years
Oshawott was cute! And very reliable as a Samurott so he was my starter in White.. was as useful as I figured and I loved having one on my team. Later on I formed an attachment towards the Snivy line though and it's been my favorite since despite the meh stats and movepool. :( Used it in Black 2. Contrary Serperior isn't too bad but still very frail and difficult to use haha.

Never been too fond of Tepig's line. Tried to adjust, never worked.

Years
All of the first forms are kind of "whatever" to me. I ended up picking Tepig when I was playing before, mostly because its evolved forms seemed the most awesome to me at the time (plus I think I felt like maybe having a fire type would have been best, I don't remember). Big hulking fire-boar? Okay that's just cool, I'll take one please!

But going by evolved forms as well, it's definitely a toss-up between Tepig and Snivy as to which is my favorite. I can't decide between those two - although I have been starting to like the Snivy line a little more lately for whatever reason. Cool snake thing versus awesome fire pig, hmm. Hard choice.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Usually I'm going with Oshawott most of the time. It's cute, and it has a huge range of movepool that makes it stronger, as well.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2015
So far, to play and to watch, the fifth gen has been my favorite! In the anime, the story line is so great! i love Cilan and Trip.
i know i'll get a lot of hate for this but i think cilan and iris are Ash's best traveling buddies yet! The starters are also my favorite. It is the only generation where i truly can't decide. I played with Oshawott and then replayed it with Snivy. In the other generations i always picked my starer right away and never regretted it. (charmander, totodile, mudkip, chimchar, froakie) I think snivy evolving into superior really made me want a snivy in the game. FAVORITE GENERATION!!

Huseyin

Not positive, not negative
Years
I really like snivy's design and its line . it is my favorite unova starter although I am unsure why i chose oshawott in black and white 2

MissDreavus

Cait Sith
Years
I most commonly go for Snivy, and it's always been my White 2 choice (once I planned to pick Tepig but ended up with Snivy again), because Serperior has always been super reliable, with a great design. However, in White, I went for Oshawott, and had Raina the Samurott take me far. I'd be willing to pick Oshawott more often, and one of these days I'll probably get around to choosing Tepig. :P

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Apr 28, 2015
I have to say that when I originally saw the starters I thought they were going to be a huge disappointment, especially when I learned what the final typing of Tepig would be. However, I love these guys now and even though I usually start with the fire type, Oshawott's whole evolution line has stolen my heart and become one of my favorite Pokemon overall! :3

Years
Contrary to many, I never disliked the Unova starters as a whole. But in thinking about it, nowadays I like Serperior most as a Pokémon on its own and design-wise, it's relatively bulky and can learn a lot of support moves. Even if I haven't used Snivy quite as many times as Oshawott or Tepig, I still really like its evolution line but really I don't mind any of them.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
This is rough choice for me.
Oshawott because how adorable and cute this little otter samurai thing is and you never let it go and Dewott is interesting too. Snivy on the other hand, because of it's evolution lines and it's elegantly design and even in final form is twice as regal and elegant.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 4, 2016
Although I usually pick Oshawott, I prefer Snivy overall. I think it's much more interesting and fun to use.
As for Tepig... I'll say we just aren't meant for each other and leave it at that.

Back