• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen I honestly think that Gen 1 is horrible

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Personally I liked the Johto Pokédex, since it grouped everything by evolution, not by number.

GSC didn't really have a regional Pokédex, but they limited which Pokémon you could get before the credits, which had a similar effect. It wasn't a regional Dex because it was a Pokédex for both Johto and Kanto.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
It is technically a Regional Dex though as it's not a direct continuation of the National Dex; even though it includes the older Pokemon it's still grouped so that the Johto Pokemon come first. Thus, it's a Regional Dex of sorts, placing emphasis on the Pokemon located in Johto. I did say "technically" there, meaning it could be considered a Regional Dex.

But, it isn't. With the exception of the Johto starters coming first, all it does is organize the 251 Pokémon in a way that better makes sense (like putting early bugs together, or later pre/evolutions with the rest of their families), regardless of which region they're found in. And, more importantly, you can freely switch between the New and Old Pokédexes without having to unlock anything, and the New Pokédex doesn't prevent you from being able to see or catch certain Pokémon.

The term "Regional Pokédex" literally did not exist until Ruby and Sapphire (when the franchise stopped being about "Gotta' Catch 'Em All"), so it should only be used in the context of Gens 3 and later.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 5, 2023
i hate it when people think its about "today's" standards...It has absolutely NOTHING to do with today's time....keep in mind, Gold/Silver/Crystal came out not too long after RGBY, and people still love those games.

yes, it started it all, it still deserves flak. I've seen better sprites from games that are 20 years older.

To be honest Gold/Silver/Crystal came out in the age of 3d gaming, lara croft was already a big thing and final fantasy was popular as hell. the graphics were not particularly great for their time either. Though pretty much every pokemon game in existence is behind other games of their time tech-wise cause they've always been limited by the hardware of handheld consoles. Ah well.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2018
To be honest Gold/Silver/Crystal came out in the age of 3d gaming, lara croft was already a big thing and final fantasy was popular as hell. the graphics were not particularly great for their time either. Though pretty much every pokemon game in existence is behind other games of their time tech-wise cause they've always been limited by the hardware of handheld consoles. Ah well.

You can't really compare handheld games to console games, because it's apples to oranges. Plus, Pokémon was always aimed at a different audience than Final Fantasy/Lara Croft/etc.

Years
At the time it was in, it was great, but it's severely out of date with everything and eventually you get tired of being wrapped 10 freaking times in a row.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
To be honest Gold/Silver/Crystal came out in the age of 3d gaming, lara croft was already a big thing and final fantasy was popular as hell.
it began in the very early beginning 3d gaming, still it matters nothing at all to handheld gaming being a completely different league.
the graphics were not particularly great for their time either.
Actually for their time,t hey looked great, in hindsight they don't. Pokemon even then, there were complaints about bad sprites.

Though pretty much every pokemon game in existence is behind other games of their time tech-wise cause they've always been limited by the hardware of handheld consoles. Ah well.
this comment is wrong in so many ways.

Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Jun 2, 2018
Graphics were hit-and-miss, though most Pokémon looked decent; you have to feel bad for the Japanese gamers in first gen though until Blue+Yellow ;*) It throws things off that some real offenders were rather common, like Golbat, Geodude, and Machop.

The effects were really cool, especially for attacks like Night Shade, Psychic, and Glare.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Nostalgia vs Atmosphere vs Fantastic music and the sense of being on a real adventure is what does it for me.
I remember playing Pokemon Yellow for the first time; Once you got to Cerulean city and the palette turned to blue, with that fantastic music kickin' in. It's just that great great atmosphere. You just want to stay there for a while, relax a bit from the fighting and talk to the people in the City. It's so much more than a "turn based game", it's a full blown adventure.

The bag and box (pun intended..) space really HURTS though. That's why I prefer Gold + Silver, because they were like an expansion, an update from previous versions. But the atmosphere is not the same in Silver/Gold. It feels a little bit darker, more sorrow and depressive. Gold and silver corrected ALL the flaws, even if Kanto was scaled down and the roads are shorter; there are still many more caves and things to explore in GSC. It's more jampacked with stuff. Also, GSC have other qualities like the clock constantly ticking, with the day/night system. Just strolling around Kanto at the night, exploring stuff is soo... I can't describe it. It just an incredible treat.

RBY is really atmospheric until you're on the way to Fuchsia. Then you get that feeling of "Oh no, I'm about to finish the game!" which feels a little "meh" when you think about how short the game is. Up till the Silph. Co. chaos, the game is absolutely superb, then it starts to fade out.

I also still prefer the pixilated graphics to the ugly blurry 3D graphics of the Pokègames of today. It's simple, stylistic and charming. The map feels drawn with a pencil.

Eight.Bit

May
Years
Don't worry, we'll visit you in your sleep. . .

Spr_1b_042.png
Spr_1b_042.png

I do believe that these games, while they may not be up to today's standards deserve a modicum of respect. If the games sucked as much as you say they do, then they would have fizzled out, no one would have played them and we'd all be on a different forum altogether. Besides, would it not have been best to have put this in the Gen 1 section? Or are you comparing the first generation games to the second generation games specifically. There are just as many people that dislike the second generation as much as the first generation, mind you. . . although they're wrong and it's the third generation that wonked things up but that's besides the point.

The point is those Golbats will find you for insulting them, and when they do I don't think they'll give you any mercy.
OMG I died laughing about the Golbats. xD Made my day.

Eight.Bit

May
Years
I honestly don't think Pokemon Red/Blue's graphics are that bad. I'm playing blue ATM, and I grew up playing stuff like Diamond and Pearl, so I'm pretty young. But I still think the WORST part about this game is the lighting. The gameboy color has no backlit screen and it's probably the WORST THING I've ever dealt with in a pokemon game.
I love how easy it is to catch em all, though. There's only 151 pokemon, and there's no confusing stuff I never cared about, like natures and day/night cycles. It's easy and fun, and there's no getting around that.
Also, I SOMEHOW enjoy playing it more than I did with X. Weird.

Shinygir

YAY! WE'RE DOOMED!
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I personally like the gen 1 flaws and all. i enjoy the glitches and hilarious sprites. but there is one thing i miss most a wished they kept it going and that is arbok's back sprite, for those who don't know he had two squiggly black lines on his back that never was done again. to me it gave arbok more depth instead of all purple.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
i also remember those squiggly lines behind arbox. it doesn't bother me too much. Arbok wasn't a very popular pokemon, doubt the pattern on its back woul make it more .

Back