• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen That Level 50 didn't give my Level 65 too much EXP...

Years
In Pokémon Black (2) and White (2), the amount of experience you gain is based on the difference between your level and the opponent's level. So if you're, say, Level 35, and your opponent is Level 40, you'll gain quite a bit more EXP than you would if your opponent was, say, Level 25. And when you're at the same level you gain almost quite as much EXP. How do you like this system?

I really liked it as a whole. It made training new Pokémon much easier, and especially with the Lucky Egg and Audino it became much less of a drag compared to past games. And even so, wild Pokémon tend to be at levels quite a bit higher than you're used to (in fact, some of them in the tall grass come at levels right near the Gym Leaders, for example you can find Level 41 Bouffalant I think on Route 10, which is right at Iris/Drayden's lowest level). So yeah, it's something I found quite helpful in the long run.

How about you? Did you like this new EXP system too or find it a drag? Discuss.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years
This system definitely made my life easier when I was training weaker Pokémon, but it also made me miserable if I had to train them at higher levels. But hey – you gain some, you lose some.

(Luckily, I usually don't shoot for level 100, so this mechanic helped me a bit more than it hurt me.)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
I liked how this system gave you the possibility to level up weaker Pokemon relatively fast, while also making it possible to stay underleveled if you really wanted to. In my last playthrough, which I still haven't finished, I completely forwent grinding, giving me a fairly underleveled team the whole time, which made the battles reasonably challenging.

Tbh. I like this system way more then Gen 6's as that was just designed to make leveling easier in general, so you had to do a lot more in order to not become overleveled.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I liked this overall. It helped with grinding and also had the sort-of rubber-band like fix to overlevelling during regular gameplay, which isn't the case with the Exp Share (which just gives everyone too much exp). As for levelling to 100, this was easily fixed with the likes of Join Avenue in B2W2. After hatching a Pokemon and a round or two in White Hollow/Black Tower, you could just pay a bit of money (made from the winnings!) to boost them up the last few dozen levels!

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I think this was such a great system for the game, to help speed up training any last minute additions to your party, while hindering you from becoming too over-leveled. Really, BW2 had the best system going as far as adjusting the difficulty to suit the player, and it's a real damn shame that they omitted this in Gen VI. It was desperately needed in the Pokémon games.

Although it was stupid that you couldn't access the easy/hard difficulty in BW2 until you beat the game iirc, but I digress.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I have felt that it was a welcoming change; definitely did like it. As others have stated, it has made training newly-captured Pokémon much, much more easy, and the easier things happen to be (well, not too easy), I believe, better it is for us. Wish they had gone through with this sooner.

Years
Seems the general reaction here has been positive. And as I think I said, I can go in decently under-leveled and still gain a nice amount of experience, so when i'm playing through them I don't have to waste too much time grinding (if any at all) until the end of the game. I remember when I did my Red Mono-Color on White, I had stuff like Throh, Pignite, Krokorok, etcetera, and I was under-leveled for most of the way, but I remember my team being around Level 40 when I got to the last Gym, and the first time I really had to grind at all was before the Elite Four. And I guess the beginning of the game where I only had Tepig and needed to use it and solo Cress, but after that I had a lot more to use and things provided a nice challenge all-around.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I really liked this change as well. I never had to grind and levelling up Pokemon was a lot easier. I'm not the type of person to strive for Level 100s anyway so the opposite effect of battling with higher levelled Pokemon against lower levelled Pokemon didn't really affect me.

Years
It was an interesting approach, but it can make grinding easier in situations where you need it, especially against Audino which are found in pretty much everywhere in the region.

Reverting back to the pre-4th Gen EXP mechanics in 6th Gen was a bit disappointing but they changed the Exp. Share (albeit broken) to make up for that.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
It has helped me so freaking much since I started playing. My pokemon in Platinum are like lvl 60 but in white 2 they're almost all lvl hundred. I really like that feature! :D

Nakala Pri

So useful! 8D I got up to level 80 pretty fastish thanks to the newest ultra hyper neutrino exp 5000 external neuronal simulator

AKA UHNE5ENS

Remember the name

Anywaaaaaaaaay, I found it really useful and without it I'd probably have been level 40 while changing the league. :I instead of level 80 AND IS STILL NEEDED HELP XD

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
So i was reading about this EXP gain system thanks to some playthroughs of a Romhack (Liquid Crystal) and fan game Zeta and Omicron and actually wondered why I wasn't getting as much EXP as i used to when training already trained mons, but i was getting tons of it with using new mons because those fan made creations made use of that EXP System to make sure that players do not overlevel the content, which at first i didn't like since I wasn't used at it but then after a few hours of tinkering ways to get around it, I finally realized that it was a welcome system..

Playing a few hours of B(2) and W(2) ((Actual Gen 5 games)) really established as a nice change (as Gen 5 was all about a lot of changes). It was a nice effort to change the dynamic of how people raised their pokemon in their playthroughs of B&W. It really changed the dynamics from Gen 3 and 4 where people would just find those mobs with high exp yields (such as Plusles and Minuns in Hoenn which gave ridiculous amounts of EXP at the time you face them) and some other oddities in Sinnoh (dear lord, the exp jumps in DPPt where hilarious)..

Maybe this mechanic this might make a comebackin Gen 7 (or X2 & Y2) . They also need to fix the horrid EXP Share as well. Gen 1 EXP Share with Gen 5 exp sharing rule? RIOTNERFPLZ. I have to admit, after playing a few hours of AS, i was having some ridiculous EXP jumps (Plusle and Minun mobs)

Years
I have felt that it was a welcoming change; definitely did like it. As others have stated, it has made training newly-captured Pokémon much, much more easy, and the easier things happen to be (well, not too easy), I believe, better it is for us. Wish they had gone through with this sooner.

There are both positives and negatives with this system, as you pointed on a lot. I recall having a newly-hatched Pokemon in Black and it leveled up a lot after a switch-train against a Lv60-something postgame-only encountered Audino. It is annoying when trying to train early though, especially given the Audino only unlock after defeating the first Gym in both games.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
It caught me off guard and I wasn't a fan when I first noticed it, and honestly I'm still a little on the fence about it. I think it was neat and I appreciate what they were trying to do, but I'm glad that they decided to omit that feature in Gen VI.

Shiro

Dad! Or should I say... Big cheese of Hoshido?
Years
I liked aspects of it and disliked other aspects of it? I switched up my team a lot in the game so getting new Pokemon up to the proper level was pretty easy compared to before. But as others have said, training higher level Pokemon was a bit harder than I would have liked... :/

Years
I found the EXP system to be a refreshing change from the usual way. It was awesome to have my lowel level Pokemon gain a bunch of experience from higher level foes. It got more difficult to train as your levels increase but that made sense.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 1, 2020
The new Exp Formula helped raised my low leveled pokemons and evolving them. I give them Lucky Eggs and they should beat evolved pokemons too.

Back