• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Missingno.

Years
I only ever used it to get 99 rare candies. Kind of wish I used it for master balls to go around catching everything. One of my greatest regrets in playing this game was not ever catching all 150 Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 13, 2014
One of the most famously known glitches in gaming, Missingno. is a "Pokemon" encountered primarily on the coast of Cinnabar Islands after talking to the Old Man and allowing him to demonstrate capturing a Weedle. Besides its odd shape and cry, it also brought upon other side affects, multiplying 6th item in your bag and scrambling your hall of fame data. If you want to read more about this intriguing "Pokemon" (i.e. why this occurs, etc.), you can have a look at Bulbapedia: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Missingno.

What is your opinion on Missingno., and the possible side effects it brings? Were you surprised the first time you heard about this glitch Pokemon?

When my sisters first saw Missingno, they screamed and fled in terror at its ugly girth. Lol

Yeah I used to do this cheat all the time.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 10, 2014
I don't understand why everyone is/was so terrified of using it. x3 As soon as my friend told me about it, I used it straight away to get rare candies so I could level up my pokemon. I'd already beaten the Elite Four by time I started using the glitch, so I didn't really use the rare candies to make an overpowered team, just to evolve pokes and complete the pokedex a little quicker. C:

I also caught Missingno. once (didn't he also appear with a different name? I caught that too) I battled with it a bit, but it wasn't too interesting.

However, I feel this all this abusing Missingno, and the knowledge of glitches did ruin the game for me. I tried to replay it a few times, but it didn't feel 'right' somehow. Like it was corrupt. Or maybe it's just because of all the ghost stories/ creepy pasta surrounding Missingno. xD

Years
My cousin and I would catch as many Missingno's as possible. It was probably the best pokemon ever and I wish they were in the new games. XD

Skylar97

Hack enjoyer
Years
I liked using the old man trick to encounter missingno but I usually encountered
RBGlitchName00.png
. while it has the same effects as missingno, it also did other things such as try to evolve to kangaskong every time it received a level. I also loved encountering the level 168 pokemon that would frequent the area or better yet, Go to safarizone and then do the trick so i could encounter the safari zone pokemon without paying.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Apr 29, 2023
I've never obtained Missingno. in the original RBY, I did the nidoking level 1 glitch a lot in Yellow however. If the pokemons level one and you give it just enough xp to level up once it will go straight to 100.

Mega Venusaur

Muncher
Years
I have always thought that it is not a glitch, and it is infact a feature created by Game Freak to interest the players, enticing them to play more. However, that is probably unlikely seeing as they wouldn't want to have deliberate errors in a game.

Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2015
Missingno was my first favorite Pokemon. Does anyone remember the old Team Rockets Rockin forums? We used to do "glitch hunting", and one of its members went on to make glitchcity.info .

Guest123_x1

I first heard about Missingno. through a Pokémon magazine, that asked the publisher about what it meant. It warned not to catch it as it would ruin your saved game. Then, sometime afterward, I got another magazine, this time with game cheats, including for Pokémon Red/Blue, which included how to clone items. It, too, warned not to catch Missingno. or any other glitch Pokémon that the player would encounter.
Once I found out about the item cloning trick, I exploited said glitch frequently, to clone Elixirs, PP Ups, Master Balls, Full Restores, and even Nuggets. Of course, I also knew to run from battles with Missingno. and 'M upon each encounter, although I noticed that my Hall of Fame would be permanently damaged each time.
When I was getting my team on Blue close to level 100, I would occasionally even battle the level 147 Golducks and faint them for the EXP.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 20, 2020
Here's something I noticed that wasn't mentioned here, but what is pretty well-documented elsewhere. MissingNO. exists in 39 locations in the index file between different Pokemon, making the total amount of Pokemon 190 or the value that the developers would like to have had. However, it was removed- the question is what 39 Pokemon would've taken its spots?

Also after the index of the 190th Pokemon, it's just random data grabbed from the game, so naming the 39 missing numbers was intentional.

Raging Umbreon

Pkmn Trainer
Years
I think I was 8 or 9 when I was at school one day and one of my friends at school playing pokemon blue showed me the missingno glitch. I remember getting super excited and I coudn't wait to try it. All those Rare candies and master balls made playing pokemon blue version alot more fun.

Back