• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I'm just coding a... uh... something that loads an index of characters, then loads character data from files. In C++. "Character" as in "player character" and not "Unicode character".

Guess I'm really bored. (Then again, trying to make a game might be very good practice.)

Years
I really wish I had the time to code some in PHP, possibly writing some code from scratch if I could. Too bad school and real life are occupying me right now. :S

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
You take your time for what you want to do :) fortunately, most of us really do want to eat, work (earn money), sleep and care for our home and people, otherwise we might never leave our computers. Or maybe I'm just speaking for myself here. I'm nowhere near a technogeek but I'm heavily dependant on technology. Losing my phone or laptop would make me very uncomfortable.

I've thought about learning some kind of basic programming just for the heck of it. I guess I just need to want it more, in order to actually get on my feet and teach myself.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I wake up, get on my computer to check forums/Facebook, get ready, go to work and work on my computer for 8 hours, then come home to my computer at night...kinda bad.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I wake up, get on my computer to check forums/Facebook, get ready, go to work and work on my computer for 8 hours, then come home to my computer at night...kinda bad.
You seem to have a close relationship with your computer. Have you named it? I always name my computers. They are my best freinds 8D hrrm. This one is named PARADISE. Say hello to PARADISE.

... I happened to be listening to Coldplay when I first booted it up years ago :B

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
You seem to have a close relationship with your computer. Have you named it? I always name my computers. They are my best freinds 8D hrrm. This one is named PARADISE. Say hello to PARADISE.

... I happened to be listening to Coldplay when I first booted it up years ago :B

I don't usually because it's a lot of effort and the name never comes up in conversation. These are two different computers though! My new one at work is super heavy and I am not looking forward to carrying it back and forth every day. x___x; But it's an engineering laptop so it's got lots of goodies in it that will make work easier.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I have a laptop, and two different desktop computers at home. I do name them. My naming schema depends on what I like at the time, It has been MLP for a while, so my laptop is named Scoots after Scootaloo, and my main desktop is named Derp1, after Derpy hooves.

Last edited:
Years
All of my computers (including my desktop and my three laptops) each have my name in them, alongside the operating system they run, except for my desktop. My desktop is named Zach-PC, and my three laptops are named zachwinseven-pc, zachwin8-pc, and zachvista-pc. I know, boring.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
lmao Zach that was really boring yes ;p Shining Armor has the right idea!

My older computers have been named AKILLES and MONTEZUMA. All in caps, yes. *gently pats PARADISE*

Years
And in other unrelated tech shenanigans, I somehow got my F4400 printer to print over the "network," despite being a USB printer and a non-network printer. It was listed as a printer from my desktop and I selected it on my laptop and when I went to print from my laptop, it worked.

Years
That's pretty normal if you've set your desktop the share the printer on the network, since the desktop then acts as a print server for that particular printer and as long as it and the printer are on on you can print to the USB printer.

As for PC names:

My desktop has a terribly boring name: djdesktop-pc

I did name my backup PC something fun, though: Opelucid_City

Might start doing that with more of my systems. I do have a few other backup PCs and game consoles that I could rename.

Years
That's pretty normal if you've set your desktop the share the printer on the network, since the desktop then acts as a print server for that particular printer and as long as it and the printer are on on you can print to the USB printer.
That's interesting! I remember trying to set this up though with my parents' printer a few years ago, and it didn't work. I wonder why it would work for my printer, though. Like my printer, theirs is also USB only and a non-networking printer.

Oh, and my server tower is named Cyclone. That's literally the only exception to my naming scheme of computers owned by me. :P

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
I don't really have a consistent naming scheme for my personal PCs. My old Toshiba Satellite was named NTTC, and my sister's Toshiba was NTTC64, and after that idr. idek what NTTC stands for anymore >_>

I do keep up a lot better with naming the different servers I've managed though. Right now PokéSphere is running on Ruby 2.1, the prior server being Ruby 2, and all the servers before that (about 4 or so, idk) were just Ruby. I've had trouble finding other names, though, but then again I haven't ran more than one box at a time to need to. :v

Years
That's interesting! I remember trying to set this up though with my parents' printer a few years ago, and it didn't work. I wonder why it would work for my printer, though. Like my printer, theirs is also USB only and a non-networking printer.

What does your desktop run, though? I know XP didn't really play all that nicely with that feature.

Years
The XP machine may not have been picking up the drivers, then. The machine you're printing from needs the right drivers for the printer as well as the print server needing them.
Hmm, that's a good point there. I guess I neglected to mention above that I had my printer's drivers installed locally as well on the laptop.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
I literally think that if the internet had a day were text was banned, everyone would be able to talk a lot easier to each other using Emoji. But good lord is that painful to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back