• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon AshGray Version (Beta 4.5 Released!!)

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
You do know that you can catch a level 5 Caterpie somewhere between the entrance of Viridian Forest and the battle with Team Rocket, right?
Also, near Bill's Lighthouse, there's a little bit of beach with direct contact to the sea, just so you can catch the Krabby

I'm well aware of my ability to catch caterpie before the battle with team rocket, BUT being such an important anime event, as well as having a further episode dedicated to that one event (bye bye butterfree) i assumed we would be put in an event to catch one. Same with Krabby as that was the reason ash & co went into the lighthouse. To find some way to contact professor oak.

TRXO

PokeGames master
Years
Yes, I was rocked by that countering staryu too! That was the most painful gym ever! Especially since, unlike the original Fire Red, all I had to help me train was a bunch of weak Ekans and Rattata. In the end Pikachu being absent definitely hurt my chances. QUOTE]

The best strategy I could find for that was leveling up Butterfree and using his Stun Spore to paralyze the other pokemon. That is the best strategy for Pewter gym too in case your Pikachu doesn't know Thunderwave or is not fast enough to use it before Brock's pokemon defeat it.

Years
  • Seen Feb 7, 2011
in my opinon the game is pretty good especially considering its the best remake of the anime that anyone has ever made. all the other remakes out there kinda stink so i for one am very impressed. Good work Metapod ^^

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Yes, I was rocked by that countering staryu too! That was the most painful gym ever! Especially since, unlike the original Fire Red, all I had to help me train was a bunch of weak Ekans and Rattata. In the end Pikachu being absent definitely hurt my chances.
Oh, I wasn't hurt by it. I just noticed that it used it once (which failed), while Misty's Staryu in the anime has never used it (just Tackle, Water Gun, and Swift). The Cerulean Gym was no problem for me with Pidgeotto's Sand Attack and Butterfree's Sleep Powder.

Anyway, any answers to my previos questions?

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I'm sorry but this hack in my opinion is somewhat graphically unappealing and very strewn about. First of all your maps, I mean come on those are simply horrid. The first route is just grass strewn everywhere with a few paths and its just blehh.... I could not see terrain like that at all ever.

As soon as I got in game I was just turned off.

While your scripting seems to be pretty good I really would stress the importance of graphics.

Although it seems enough of PC has fallen in love with this... I myself find this to be sub-par...

Sorry to sound so rude but this hack in my opinion is horrid.

I'm not a mapper, and all the routes are simply based on the anime and I did the best I could. That being said, myself personally, I don't think that routes make or break a hack, and neither do graphics. Most of the graphics haven't been changed, and the ones that have are, imo, at least decent enough to tolerate. The focus of the hack is to recreate the events of the anime. My main area of skill is scripting, and since I have no team members for anything else, I'm left to carry that burden as well. I tried to start a team, but no one was interested. So the hack is what it is - my best attempt at an anime hack, replicating the events of the anime with as perfect accuracy as possible, with all the skills I have at my disposal.

I'm currently stuck at Sabrina. Unless I do some massive level grinding to get Pikachu from L26 to L41 or so, so that I can outspeed Kadabra and Thunder Wave it, it's impossible for me to win (unless I could somehow get 3 critical hits in a row with Pikachu's and Pidgeotto's Quick Attacks with help from my Revive). Is there anything I'm missing to get Haunter to come back and get Kadabra to incapacitate itself laughing?

You have to beat her. Paralysis is probably the best way to go.

Back at Maiden's Peak, is there some way to identify Gastly?

Talk to the statue and go talk to the old woman/the man at the house (I forget which one triggers it, I think the old woman, as she gives you a Spell Tag) and then talk to the statue again.

By the way, you do know that Ash's Butterfree is almost certainly a boy (seeing as it went after a pink Butterfree), right? Oh, and "seven" in Spanish is "siete," not "sieta." Since when does Misty's Staryu know Counter, and shouldn't Jessie's Ekans/Arbok know Dig?

Misty's Staryu does know Counter. It uses it in that episode:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Misty's_Staryu

At first, I started my game as a girl to see what would happen, and I like how you used the "Ashley" disguise, but the pajama sprite is still Ash, and you turn back into Ash when you get dressed after getting Pikachu. Also, the female battle sprite has color issues.

I don't want anyone to choose the girl. It's called AshGray for a reason. :)

Any thoughts on forcing us to release Butterfree? I saved, released it to see the scene (the other Butterfree should be pink), and reloaded the save so I could keep it. By the way, that jerk with the Raticate messed up Butterfree's moveset. Unless the Move Relearner is in the current version, I've lost Butterfree's Sleep Powder.

I don't want to force you to release Butterfree, because it was a choice that Ash made. I don't think it's necessary to force you to release it if you don't want to. And I couldn't make the trade work (at least with the trade animation happening) and return your Butterfree to you. I would have to use the Storage system and give you a Raticate without a trade actually happening.

Do you think you could give us access to some Everstones, as I've gotten tired of canceling the evolutions every time Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle gain a level? Yes, Charmander is supposed to evolve, but there's no point in doing that before the hack gets expanded to "Charizard Chills."

Since Squirtle and Charmander never make active decisions not to evolve, I don't think I'm going to give Everstones for them. Bulbasaur receives one in the Mysterious Garden.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2017
In Viridian Forest, where do you encounter the Beedrill? Cause I'm looking everywhere.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 16, 2013
Pardon me for the strange question but I noticed you have the Legend of Dratini episode and was wondering if the stuff it was banned for is still there There may be a kid playing this so I kinda need to know. Thanks!

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
You have to beat her. Paralysis is probably the best way to go.

OK, but it's going to take quite a while to raise Pikachu from L26 to L41 or so on the available Pokémon, as I still have to outspeed it once to Thunder Wave it. Could we at least have access to a Quick Claw?

Misty's Staryu does know Counter. It uses it in that episode:

I'm pretty sure that was just a generic battle command, not the actual attack "Counter," as a Staryu can't learn Counter, and all it did in that case was attempt to use a regular Tackle. If you're going to be that strict, at least make Brock's Onix and Jessie's Ekans/Arbok know Dig, as they used it constantly (although the command was usually something like "go underground.")

I don't want anyone to choose the girl. It's called AshGray for a reason. :)

Then you should probably keep us from picking her.

Since Squirtle and Charmander never make active decisions not to evolve, I don't think I'm going to give Everstones for them. Bulbasaur receives one in the Mysterious Garden.
I meant make Everstones available in an early PokéMart or let us find a few in Mount Moon or something like that.

Here's a few other suggestions I forgot to mention earlier: Shouldn't Samurai apologize after you beat Beedrill and save Metapod? There's only 5 Squirtle in the Squirtle Squad, not 6. I'd like to see a battle against Meowth after the initial Team Rocket double battle in the Viridian Forest, as that's one of the few times that he actually tries to battle.

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
  • Seen Jul 20, 2022
Well if you want someone to insert some new tiles and refine maps then I could help a bit aside from the time I spend at school / on my hack I would be glad to help you out with graphics a little, and yes I forgot to mention your scripting is quite nice.

Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2010
I cant wait till the latest beta!!!!im up till the episode who gets to keep togepi and im stuck there:( what to do to the jigglypuff???

Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2010
Really cool idea, really well executed. Looking forward to the completed game loved the old animes.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2010
Hey, I have just started playing this hack, and I'm wondering couple things. How do I actually get past route 1?
And I've found that if you faint on route 1, you go back to mom, and you can't get back onto the route because the Spearow's block the way. I love this hack so far, I'm just wondering how to actually progress. Haha.

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Hey, I have just started playing this hack, and I'm wondering couple things. How do I actually get past route 1?
And I've found that if you faint on route 1, you go back to mom, and you can't get back onto the route because the Spearow's block the way. I love this hack so far, I'm just wondering how to actually progress. Haha.
Just like Ash did, you need to ride into the water.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I'm not a mapper, and all the routes are simply based on the anime and I did the best I could. That being said, myself personally, I don't think that routes make or break a hack, and neither do graphics. Most of the graphics haven't been changed, and the ones that have are, imo, at least decent enough to tolerate. The focus of the hack is to recreate the events of the anime. My main area of skill is scripting, and since I have no team members for anything else, I'm left to carry that burden as well. I tried to start a team, but no one was interested. So the hack is what it is - my best attempt at an anime hack, replicating the events of the anime with as perfect accuracy as possible, with all the skills I have at my disposal.
Really, no one was interested? I could help, if you need it. Anyway, I agree with Teh Panda, the mapping really does need work. :3

Years
  • Seen Jul 24, 2011
Hmm, that wasn't as bad as I thought. My Pikachu is faster than Sabrina's Kadabra at only L32 (and maybe even earlier, as I didn't try the gym battle at every level I gained). Pikachu still gets creamed due to the backlash paralysis caused by Kadabra's Synchronize ability, but Pidgeotto, Squirtle, Charmander, and Butterfree are perfectly capable of teaming up against Kadabra when it's paralyzed, especially when I start by using Charmander's Smokescreen.

Back