• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: Pokémon Fire Red Hacked Engine

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Just wanted to mention a problem I'm having with the timer special - special 0x46, etc.

It works without problem until I step inside a Pokemon Center. Afterward, the timer is instantly reset to 0. This seems to happen in any Pokemon Center and no other areas as far as I can tell, so I would assume it would have something to do with either the sethealingplace command, the setting of variables 405a 405b or 405c, or special 0x182.

When I remove the 05 On entering map/on menu close Script Type, the timer no longer resets, but it does freeze at whatever amount it was at before you entered the Center.

Anyone know why this might be happening?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
I applied the hex edits detailed in the quoted post, but I am still having difficulties with loading extra OW palettes into sprite palette slots 6, 7, and 8. When I enter and exit a menu (Bag, Pokedex, Options, etc.), the default palettes (the ones used for mist sprites) are rewritten to these slots, causing any OWs that used the extra palettes to be discolored.

The palettes that I want used are used when entering the map (i.e. warping), but reset when entering and exiting any menu (when palettes are loaded). Does anyone have a solution?

EDIT: I found a temporary workaround, but I would really love to see an actual fix for this.

The temporary workaround is to edit the palette table at 0x1A2400. The mist-NPC palettes have indices 5, 6, 7, and 8; change those to some arbitrary but unlikely-to-be-used numbers (I used 83, 84, 85, and 86 -- the numbers of their mist-free counterparts + 80). So long as no palettes have indices 5-8, this glitch will not occur.

However, this change probably will break something. It also leaves those palette indices forever unusable. Which is why I'm hoping for an actual fix.

EDIT2: It did break something. The bug still occurs when exiting the Pokemon menu after having viewed a Pokemon's stats. Argh!

EDIT3: Or when opening the Pokemon menu at all. "Invalidating" palette indices 5, 6, 7, and 8 prevents the OW mist/reflection palettes from being loaded there when returning from a menu screen to the OW, but it does not reload the extra OW palettes that one chooses to write to those slots. Ergo if a menu screen uses those palettes (Bag doesn't, Pokemon does), they will replace the extra OW palettes upon opening the menu, causing any OW that depended on that palette slot to use the menu's palettes.

Last edited:

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Has anyone else had a problem with the fainting events? I'm using the Firered Base provided, and when my Pokemon faint, they're not sent to the players house, but instead map 0.0. I've put in the same scripts as the players room, but no avail. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to work on this a whole bunch, just for it to end up not working...

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
Has anyone else had a problem with the fainting events? I'm using the Firered Base provided, and when my Pokemon faint, they're not sent to the players house, but instead map 0.0. I've put in the same scripts as the players room, but no avail. What am I doing wrong? I don't want to work on this a whole bunch, just for it to end up not working...

JPAN stated at the bottom of the guide that he has changed how the sethealingplace command works. You can choose where you 'respawn' based on the variables 0x405A, 0x405B and 0x405C. Read that section of the document to see how it has changed :)

Years
I don't completely understand how I would go about creating new behaviour bytes using this. I've read the manual and all it seems to really tell me is that the new table for behaviour bytes is at 0x1a3000. Would I write a script and then write the pointer at that address? Or what? I'm really confused. :/

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
Okay guys im getting an problem whenever i patch this to an clean fire red rom when ever i start a new game with this the outdoors are messed up and the scripts are all deleted(its telling so or so that they will be deleted) but the maps are just messed up...is this ahppening to everyone or am i patching it to an wrong rom maybe:\

Years
If you do not want this to happen, use the Tool Applier instead. The patch does this--read the manual, or the first post (one of them mentions this).

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
Quick question: I'm not an expert in this, so I'm wondering if this hacked engine will allow more person events in one place? I have a huge boulder and breakable rock maze but they won't all load. Will they load in this engine?

Years
Quick question: I'm not an expert in this, so I'm wondering if this hacked engine will allow more person events in one place? I have a huge boulder and breakable rock maze but they won't all load. Will they load in this engine?

As far as I know, there is no finite amount of Person Events allowed in a normal FireRed ROM. Are you sure these rocks don't share Person Event Numbers/Person IDs, or that there is not a level script which hides certain person events?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
Years
No, it's happened to me before. Some events load when I take a few steps in a certain direction, others only load after moving an event or breaking a rock. This only happens to me when a lot of person events are in one place.

~Anbuja

Let's Keep It Simple
Years
If you do not want this to happen, use the Tool Applier instead. The patch does this--read the manual, or the first post (one of them mentions this).
Well i might read that up too.
but i really don;t mind it erasing all scripts just the maps i wanted to know if i patch it and make new mapss if they still would apear glitched up or not.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I don't completely understand how I would go about creating new behaviour bytes using this. I've read the manual and all it seems to really tell me is that the new table for behaviour bytes is at 0x1a3000. Would I write a script and then write the pointer at that address? Or what? I'm really confused. :/

The table starts at 0x1a3000, but if you put the pointer for your script there it will give an action to the first behavior byte (00). I applied my scripts to the last behavior bytes when I did it, so if you wanted to give behavior byte FF an action through a script, you would place the pointer at 0x1a33fc.

That's why there's some pointers already there - at 0x1a3204 is the pointer to the bookshelf script - behavior byte 81 - which is the 81st pointer of the table.

Years
I overwrote FF. It's meant to be a walk-on script, but doesn't seem to be working. The script itself works, though, as when I test it when it's applied to a green S tile it works. And yes, I made a proper pointer.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I overwrote FF. It's meant to be a walk-on script, but doesn't seem to be working. The script itself works, though, as when I test it when it's applied to a green S tile it works. And yes, I made a proper pointer.

I think they only work when you press A to talk to the tile, like the TV and bookshelf scripts.

clacla$$$

Back in business ~
Years
Umm, I don't know if anyone gets this but whenever I try to add specials with the Hack Applier it says they are occupied. Can someone explain this?

Years
  • Seen Oct 9, 2019
Well i might read that up too.
but i really don;t mind it erasing all scripts just the maps i wanted to know if i patch it and make new mapss if they still would apear glitched up or not.
New maps will not be glitched. In fact, you can fix Pallet Town.

The patch accidentally deletes the warps in Pallet Town. The game glitches when you try to go there, because there are no warps to go to. Re-add the Pallet Town warps using AdvanceMap, and the map will work again.

EdensElite

No0b, but getting there.
Years
  • Age 28
  • UK
  • Seen Jul 4, 2014
The patch stops all wild pokemon appearing, how do I re-activate this.

Back