• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

why they dont bring back Misty

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 10, 2015
Misty has the best personality of all pokegirls, best chemistry with Ash, she is also has very attractive look. Really fun to watch. Misty has her loyal fanbase and even after 8 years of exile she is surely missed by several fans worldwide.
In fact It was Misty Ash and Brock this trio make the pokemon famous in the first place.some people say that togepi ruined her. well togepi is gone now.some say that she has gotten stale after 3 seasons. If that the case then that also applies for Ash and Brock who was there for almost every season.And finally some say that she is alright in the cerulean gym but why is it alright ? why she should be in the gym for ever.why ash is in the anime after loosing tournament year after year. why does not he settle in pallet. why brock was in the anime for many years ?
why did not he get back to pewter gym.Misty surely is more interesting to watch than brock.
finally she and ash are best together. I have never seen that amount of chemistry in anyother couple in anime.The have the personality that suits each other.
I like Mistys high temper and she is like a boss to ash.she may pretend that she is rude to ash but she really loves her thats what made this couple so fun to watch.Ash also loves her deep down even though he does not want to admit it. Team Rocket, Rudy, Tracey, Danny all of them said that they are a couple.
And after several years of exile It will be really fresh to see them together but what could be the reason that authors dont bring back Misty why they really hate her ??????

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Misty has the best personality of all pokegirls, best chemistry with Ash, she is also has very attractive look. Really fun to watch. Misty has her loyal fanbase and even after 8 years of exile she is surely missed by several fans worldwide.

Have to agree with you there, and she's also the one female anime character you're more than guaranteed to find being cosplayed at an Anime convention.

In fact It was Misty Ash and Brock this trio make the pokemon famous in the first place.some people say that togepi ruined her. well togepi is gone now.some say that she has gotten stale after 3 seasons. If that the case then that also applies for Ash and Brock who was there for almost every season.And finally some say that she is alright in the cerulean gym but why is it alright ? why she should be in the gym for ever.why ash is in the anime after loosing tournament year after year. why does not he settle in pallet. why brock was in the anime for many years ?
why did not he get back to pewter gym.Misty surely is more interesting to watch than brock.

Yeah, and even then, Togepi didn't really "ruin" her anyways (trust me, had her character actually been ruined by that egg Pokémon, it would have been extremely obvious. Think how Samus Aran was treated in Other M.). And while Ash at least has promotion of the games and stardom as an excuse, the same can't be said for Brock, who BTW, unlike Misty who at least got focus on her Water Pokémon Master goal in Johto, Brock barely got ANY focus at all on the breeder goal of his, and this was DESPITE the games introducing the breeding mechanic by that time. Honestly, they should have at least had her leave to pursue her own goals, at least that way we get assurance that she is still interested in her goal. Either that or explicitly change her goals willingly like Brock and Gary did.

And funny you should mention the point about Brock having to go to Pewter Gym regarding how Misty being forced into a Gym was not a good move, because considering the huge mess Pewter Gym was subjected to in the Hoso special, heck, AG even, which made even Cerulean Gym under the Sensational Sisters seem like it was it was absolutely stellar-run by comparison, Brock really should have stopped travelling with Ash specifically because he realizes he's the only one who can actually run the gym decently, and in fact far more deserves it than Misty did.

finally she and ash are best together. I have never seen that amount of chemistry in anyother couple in anime.The have the personality that suits each other.
I like Mistys high temper and she is like a boss to ash.she may pretend that she is rude to ash but she really loves her thats what made this couple so fun to watch.Ash also loves her deep down even though he does not want to admit it. Team Rocket, Rudy, Tracey, Danny all of them said that they are a couple.

Well, I'm not a Pokeshipper (nothing against it, I just don't ship couples who haven't been shown to love at first sight. Thank Disney as well as Romeo and Juliet for that). Still, I do like her for her kind qualities, not to mention she isn't a Hina stereotype, unlike her replacements (mainly May and Dawn).

And after several years of exile It will be really fresh to see them together but what could be the reason that authors dont bring back Misty why they really hate her ??????

Don't know why they aren't bringing her back or even using the World Conference as a perfect excuse to actually give her closure at the very least, but I can tell you that Takeshi Shudo recognized that Misty being removed before her time had come was an extremely stupid decision based on his blog entries. And Mayumi Iizuka thinks that Misty not getting any appearances now is also a big mistake as well.

Years
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
I'm not quite sure why they don't bring her back, and not just in a vision like they did at the end of BW. I'm not Misty's biggest fan, like I won't go around on forums telling people how she should be back on the main cast, but I still think she was really enjoyable and should've gotten some sort of closure for her goal. I still think Dawn had better on screen chemistry with Ash, but to each their own.

Waiting for DBZ Fan a certain someone to write an eight page essay response to the OP

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'm not quite sure why they don't bring her back, and not just in a vision like they did at the end of BW. I'm not Misty's biggest fan, like I won't go around on forums telling people how she should be back on the main cast, but I still think she was really enjoyable and should've gotten some sort of closure for her goal. I still think Dawn had better on screen chemistry with Ash, but to each their own.

Waiting for DBZ Fan a certain someone to write an eight page essay response to the OP

Yeah, pretty much agreed (well, save for the bit about bringing Misty back onto the main cast). Honestly, considering their status of basically a cynical money-grabbing advertisement of the games, and B2W2 having the World Conference that included all the Gym Leaders up to that point, that would have acted as the perfect way to temporarily bring Misty back and at the very least give her actual closure, thus actually fixing a mistake the writers made when they removed her carelessly. Instead, they utterly blew it by skipping it, and not only that, but they brought Dawn back despite her having absolutely no business in Unova (at least May had the transregional ribbon as an excuse for her appearance in Sinnoh). I mean, does Ash put his journey on hold to visit friends in the middle of a region?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
They haven't brought back Misty because her time has passed; she's had plenty of screen time. Either the writers got rid of her or else people would have complained that she is getting stale, much like some people thought of Brock and currently think of Ash. Besides, the romance that fans wanted to happen between Misty and Ash isn't going to happen, which was stated in the blogs that weedle mentioned.

Does she absolutely need to return? No. You could argue that she didn't leave the show on a good note, although it was reasonable and did have an explanation, but does it really after at this point? She left the show over ten years ago and the anime is still doing fine without her, whether you prefer it or not. We've had characters derived from her who play the same role, so, in a sense, it's like she never even left.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
They haven't brought back Misty because her time has passed; she's had plenty of screen time. Either the writers got rid of her or else people would have complained that she is getting stale, much like some people thought of Brock and currently think of Ash. Besides, the romance that fans wanted to happen between Misty and Ash isn't going to happen, which was stated in the blogs that weedle mentioned.

Does she absolutely need to return? No. You could argue that she didn't leave the show on a good note, although it was reasonable and did have an explanation, but does it really after at this point? She left the show over ten years ago and the anime is still doing fine without her, whether you prefer it or not. We've had characters derived from her who play the same role, so, in a sense, it's like she never even left.

Actually, Misty's time hadn't passed at all. Takeshi Shudo even stated in his blogs that they actually removed before her time had come and was motivated largely by a quick short-term ratings grab, which, BTW, is actually killing the show (so no, the show most certainly isn't doing fine without her, not if the decline of ratings are anything to go by). Misty was even intended to be a permanent lead according to Shudo's blogs as well. And no, there are no girls who play the same role as Misty, probably the closest to a girl actually derived from her who play the same role is Iris.

And another thing, they really shouldn't have stuck her at a gym where she not only doesn't even want to be there, but has an actual goal that she fully intends to pursue. At least May, Dawn, Cilan and Iris are still pursuing their goals when they left, and even Tracey and possibly May managed to complete their goals, and even Brock and Gary at least changed their goals explicitly by the time they left and of their own free will.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Nono. It's not that they hate her. See some people found Misty annoying with her "bad attitude" towards Ash. Since American and Japanese OP's for Pokemon are different I doubt you have seen the OP for Diamond and Pearl. Where Misty made an opening cameo. Proving to many they have not forgotten about them. The Anime seems to have a trend on bringing back old female characters, if you haven't noticed. In Advanced Genearion they brought back Misty for 2 episodes. In Diamond and Pearl, May returned for the Grand Festival. And in Adventures in Unova, Dawn returned for quite a while. It's not that they hate Misty, they just wanted to start a new with pother pairs to see how the audience react and such. They kept Brock because..well he's Brock. You can't get rid of him :3

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Nono. It's not that they hate her. See some people found Misty annoying with her "bad attitude" towards Ash. Since American and Japanese OP's for Pokemon are different I doubt you have seen the OP for Diamond and Pearl. Where Misty made an opening cameo. Proving to many they have not forgotten about them. The Anime seems to have a trend on bringing back old female characters, if you haven't noticed. In Advanced Genearion they brought back Misty for 2 episodes. In Diamond and Pearl, May returned for the Grand Festival. And in Adventures in Unova, Dawn returned for quite a while. It's not that they hate Misty, they just wanted to start a new with pother pairs to see how the audience react and such. They kept Brock because..well he's Brock. You can't get rid of him :3

Two episodes and three episodes, actually. Don't forget she appeared for three episodes in the beginning of Battle Frontier.

And they actually did get rid of Brock after DP.

And either way, they could have given her actual closure in BW, especially considering B2W2's World Conference arc which they just stupidly skipped.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
Two episodes and three episodes, actually. Don't forget she appeared for three episodes in the beginning of Battle Frontier.

And they actually did get rid of Brock after DP.

And either way, they could have given her actual closure in BW, especially considering B2W2's World Conference arc which they just stupidly skipped.

Yes I know they got rid of Brock. BUT He was the one to stay the most. More than any of Ash's previous Female companions and the BW companions. Well, I sort of expected that to happen with the "World Conference". I somewhat knew that this "World" part would be irrelevant. Honestly, i doubt Misty needs closure, since none of Ash's other companions got any.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Yes I know they got rid of Brock. BUT He was the one to stay the most. More than any of Ash's previous Female companions and the BW companions. Well, I sort of expected that to happen with the "World Conference". I somewhat knew that this "World" part would be irrelevant. Honestly, i doubt Misty needs closure, since none of Ash's other companions got any.

At least May, Dawn, Iris, and Cilan actually were allowed to pursue their dreams, that Tracey and Max actually complete their dreams when they left, and Brock and Gary actually changed their goals (which is the closest thing to actual closure as one can get in this series), Misty didn't get either option. When I say get closure, I mean that Misty actually willingly becomes a Gym Leader and totally forsakes her goal of her own free will without any coercion from her sisters (in other words, she can't simply stay at a gym position that she doesn't even like just because her sisters are unreliable), or she actually continues her Water Pokémon Master goal, even if it is by herself and not with Ash.

Years
  • Seen Nov 4, 2017
She's not forced to do anything though. She can stop being the Gym Leader. She could just resign. Wouldn't the pokemon League just hire a new person to be head of the Gym? Just like they did to Viridians Gym? Misty really never had a "goal" she was just there "for the bike". It seems like she wants to be Gym Leader.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
She's not forced to do anything though. She can stop being the Gym Leader. She could just resign. Wouldn't the pokemon League just hire a new person to be head of the Gym? Just like they did to Viridians Gym? Misty really never had a "goal" she was just there "for the bike". It seems like she wants to be Gym Leader.

She actually had a goal. Remember her wanting to be a Water Pokémon Master, which was hinted at as early as Kanto and actually focused on in Johto? That WAS her goal. Heck, she even participated in the Whirl Cup. And considering that leaving the gym meant letting her sisters run things, no, she can't leave. At least with Giovanni, he abdicated the position and left no one else to run things by that point. In fact, considering what happened when her sisters nearly left the gym unattended (namely, it nearly got shut down), she can't afford to do that. So, yes, she actually was forced, and she definitely wasn't happy about being made Gym Leader in GCYL at all.

And if she wanted to be the Gym Leader, she wouldn't have even regrouped with Ash at all, even temporarily, and she most certainly wouldn't have delayed returning as long as she possibly could in the three episode arc in Battle Frontier. Think of it this way. Had she actually liked being Gym Leader, she'd behave exactly like Jason Fox from FoxTrot, heck, like Jack Marley from the Simpsons when Mr. Burns forced him to retire (insisting he actually likes his job and doesn't want to retire), even forsake her friends in the process. Heck, think of how May ditched her own friends at the end of AG (and even the people who watched the finale noted how rushed May's departure was). Heck, had Misty wanted to be Gym Leader, she would have just taken over after the events of The Misty Mermaid, not continue her journey.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018
Misty was truly unique character and one of best things to happen to pokemon in my honest opinion. She was girl with lot of emotion, fire, passion and charisma. Had interesting pokemon, unique dreams of becoming water pokemon master reaching for big positions such as E4 members(E4 is marked as type masters in games, which Misty wishes to become) even viewing Lorelei as her idol.,
Contains big determination, persistence and love for water pokemon and battles being tough, strong girl which isnt damsel in distress and knows how to take care of herself. Best of all?

Misty never became flanderized and boring piece of moving scenery. With maturity and character development she went through in late Johto and Hoenn bringing new fresh light to her characterization. Without losing her bubbly, moody, optimistic, emotional, smartass and hotheaded nature haing many great moments with Ash and Brock with amouint of emotion she expressed when haing to leave them speaking volumes of how much they measnt to her. Sakura, hotheaded trainer Egan, gym leader Dorian, later Daisy getting on her nerves in chronicles, Tracey with who she had many embarassing and cmic moments, casey or colonel Hanson making her all fired up and furious while teasing Ash and Brock coming up with jokes and being irritated with some of their actions throwing tantrum at Psyduck or her sisters.

Getting over complex of feeling inferior to sisters, overcame Gyarados fear, coming to accept Psyduck for who he is despite having handicap establishing this closer bond with pokemon. Improved as water trainer winning Seaking contest, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup, won Alto Mare race and got acknowledged for having potential by several trainers out there.

I watched all series with May, Dawn, Iris etc being good characters and everything. But none managed to live up to my expectations like Misty did being complete character.

One of main reasons why i feel Misty deserves to return as main was because she was never given justice as character or being developed as much as she could have been with many things being left unanswered in her story being veiled with mystery(like goal, potential to do more with her pokemon team,to expand more on back story(like what happened with parents who according to Takeshi Shudo blogs abandoned their daughters resulting in pretty tragic childhood for Misty developing lot of pent up aggresion and sadness of rnever feeling like she has family or got parental love and care like many other kids do confining herself to Sakura over Ash and Brock being her family ,from where fear from bugs originates),developing her more as trainer.

To add she brought some sort of spice to group chemistry and enjoyable character interaction when she appeared in Hoenn and i miss her great and complex personality being interested in seeing her interact with new characters establishing some great chemistry with others learning things from her along with new things being done about said character.

Its unfortunate how writers are ignoring Misty character like she never existed. Played big role in Ash development as person and trainer. All that impact she left on pokemon storyline and her own unfinished story, unfulfilled dreams of becoming top water trainer in world(water pokemon master) living up to her idol Lorelei/Prima from E4 for which Whirl Cup and cases of Clemont, Cilan, Wallace, Koga etc proving how in order to reach such kind of power level and strength traveling and winning competitions is mandatory to reach new height as trainer. Unsolved issues and conflicts about her future and sisters taking advantage of her staying at gym mainly because of their incompetence, lack of authority in using her pokemon to full potential like Psyduck and of course her love feelings for Ash. Which obviously existed being left to linger in air.

So why writers dont bring Misty back? Its not even so much up to writers but those at higher positions of pokemon company which deliver directives and decisions in what way pokemon anime should go. How to synchronize marketing and new products Nintendo and Gamefreak creates with show storyline, main protagonists and style of writing.
Even if writers do have desire to bring Misty back their hands are tied by this names and those who influence way pokemon anime will be written the most:
Chief pokemon series director Yuyama Kunihiko, pokemon anime director Tetsuo Yajima(took over this position when XY series started), to some degree head writer for pokemon anime Atsuhiro Tomioka.
And Gamefreak with its directors and game developers such as Juinichi Masuda. Who meets with pokemon show directors and main writers telling them what to do.
Now obviously using older character like Misty isnt problem and doesnt clash with game promotion. Because just like Ash, TR, Brock existing in pokemon anime as main character until end of BW despite not being anymore in games prove how older characters can advertize new products from games. By capturing new pokemon and evolving older ones when new evoloution is announced. In participating in various tournaments and features games comes up with having her stiory and dreams incorporated within it so that both their skills as trainer, goals and main plot could be advanced. Or posessing required expertise, pokemon or knowledge about something through which their stories could be tied into current plot and help promote it.

Even more so with anime exclusive dreams like Misty has of becoming water master. Because they are more flexible not depending on game quests like girl coordinators such as May and Dawn do(since any region which dont have them represents isue in how to move their story forward)., But with Misty such issue is alieviated by fact of anime dreams coming from writers creativity with when and where steps, tasks and tournaments through which her career could be advanced and pushed forward depending on series organizers imagination and set up locations in anime where certain tournament, capture of pokemon or meeting other powerful pokemon experts from who Misty could learn and discover secrets of type of pokemon she trains could be placed. Doing build up on Whirl Cup, what sea priest Maya told and Misty desire to reach E4 level of strength becoming recognized and honored water specialist in world.

However while they could use Misty , reason why writers dont bring her back and use new girls instead steams from indiscriminating and disrespectful interview from 2008 on pokebeach.

Conducted between owner of that site WPM and pokemon anime director at that time Masamitsu Hidaka. Revealing how one of main reasons why they replace constantly girls in pokemon is to give younger male fans new piece of female fanservice, "eye candy" to try out new designs and clothes Ken Sugimori comes up with.
Treating pokemon girls like expendable fill up tokens existing only for one generation and than fading forever in oblivion like they never mattered and had purpose inn pokemon universe(aka show).

Today pokemon anime is just marketing ploy with pokemon company becoming greedy, egocentric and callous not caring anymore about consistent story which builds on itself, mreaningful friendship and relationship which stays relevant and impacting on plot over time and anyone goal and aspirations beside Ash since whoever joins him ends up discarded like trash with unfinished dreams and open story like he/she never existed or mattered).

Not realizing how key to popularity, reputation and better quality lies in having stable cast. Strong on going story which builds on itself and carries over elements, struggles and plots started in previous series into next generation. Pay attention to strong bonds and moral values with Ash not losing contact with his older friends and those who helped him on his journey.

Keep older important characters updated, let people know how much their adventures, development and new experiences they had left effect on them advancing their unfinished stories and dreams.
With anime having continuity, built bridges in connecting previous generations with new ones and live up to message of pokemon being supposed to be treated as entity which builds oin itself paying attention to previous characters and events making pokeworld feel more closer and connected.

They want higher ratings and more people watching this show? But they overlook how they already have resources and material to achieve this. In form of bringing back super popular older well liked characters doing sequel going in new, meaningful adventures.
With Misty being heavily popular with so many people wanting her back. Enjoy in her strong, multilayered personality, see new pokemon and adventures made in character going forward. Restoring on friendship with Ash, impacting pokemon plot and get continuation of her goals, desires and story which never received closure leaving room to do much more.

I think that if people enjoyed more in Misty, her depth of personality, humor and upbeat atmosphere she brought to anime its reasonable if they miss her wanting her back. Because new characters arent Misty. They dont have same personality, same pokemon, same traits, goals and emotion, appeal and charm behind themselves.

Not to mention is it really reasonable and fair that writers never return Misty in person again? Acknowledge on started and unfinished work they did about one of their characters? Remember Misty fans and all those people for who this character defined their childhood and give young viewers chance to learn about first pokemon girl, what was her role and influence on pokemon series, emphasize on strong bond and friendship between her and Ash which seemed unbreakable, show them her flaws, qualities and endearing imperrfections which make her more human like? Advancing her story, dreams of becoming top water trainer in world, be in some prominent role and action having some future in pokemon anime again?

No character which played important role in pokemon anime should be ignroed never returning in flesh again. Sure you may say how "its not needed". But by throwing in such card, we can than say how nothing ultimately matters and isnt neeeded with sense of direction , development, storyline being irrelevant. With pokemon anime just being one big farce where nothing matters except fulfiling quota of how many pokemon sprites from games will be showed on TV screen.

Which is imo not good way in writing for some show. Because regardless of anime being based on games or not, this isnt good writing if continuity, character deveopment, created plots about someone and relationship between main protagponist and side characters will be forgotten and left burried in past.

Im not advocating for overdose, but i also do not support zero of it either. With Misty being important main character from past which didnt returned in person for 9 years and counting.

If people want they deserve to see her again, i dont think they are selfish because of this.

Misty goal was actually to become water pokemon master. She idolized Lorelei from E4 dreaming to become equally powerful and recogniozed water expert one day herself(possibly becoming E4 herself with game counterpart worshipping this elite member too). Dreamed of meeting legendary water pokemon coming to understand how to reach to their feelings and discoiver their secrets.

Her return to gym was more plexus of circumstances in sisters being unreliable and gym being in risk of getting closed. Thats why she returned later in chronicles through episodes like "Blue Badge of Courage", but even more so "A Date with Delcatty!" being upset and saddened over Daisy and rest of older sisters not taking their gym chores with responsibility not having anyone to rely on . Stating how main reason she stayed was because of not having choice and someone to rely on, rather than finding gym to be her life calling. This can be noticed through dialogue "my sisters are useless, so ill have to stay here doing my best for time being" or shaking head in disappointment feeling let down. Followed with her last cameo when being frustrated over Daisy rushing her home not being able to leave for even short period of time, sharing with Max how she wished she could count on her older sisters and have someone to fill in for her in case of wanting to travel and advance her dreams.

I think what weedle_mchairybug wanted to say is how unlike most replaced companions Misty plots and dreams never got conclusion not coming to realization how to achieve this goals. With writers leaving everything hanging in air regarding her future and whole situation with Cerulean gym . Without being resolved if she will leave gym or not and cleared up in what direction her story and dreams of becoming water master will go having things incomplete and unanswered.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I can obviously only speculate as to what the reasoning is but I think it's clear that, whatever it is, the people behind the anime franchise simply don't see a pressing need to bring her back. I get that Kasumi didn't have much in the way a decisive departure that would send her off with the sense that she accomplished something, but if the writers seriously thought that she needed more closure than she got then it's not hard to imagine that they would have done so in the decade that she's been gone. They brought Shigeru and Rumika back a few times, neither of whom were tied to the Diamond & Pearl games, not to mention the return of some old Pokémon (ex. Lizardon), so it's not like they couldn't at least have her back in a recurring role if they really wanted to.

Who really knows? Maybe she'll show up again, maybe she won't. But in the meantime, it's not like Kasumi wasn't around for a while. There are almost 300 episodes where she's a main character. I would suggest just enjoying those instead of waiting around for a return to the franchise that may never come and letting yourself get frustrated because she's gone.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I'm too lazy to read everything here, sorry, but as far as I recall she didn't even do much in Johto? They weren't doing much with her to the fact that she was getting more development in the special episodes (aka Chronicles in the dub) than she got in all of Johto. So to be honest, even though she didn't get a nice goodbye (which might be because of lack of things for her in Johto or smth) I think she left before it became too long as she became stale. After all, Brock got pretty stale by DP as I did notice someone mentioned before.

idk how much this is really relevant but I think it's good that she didn't become stale like many believe Brock did and that sticking with Ash wasn't going to help her with her dream (however, leaving Ash did the opposite if the special episodes say anything).

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I'm too lazy to read everything here, sorry, but as far as I recall she didn't even do much in Johto? They weren't doing much with her to the fact that she was getting more development in the special episodes (aka Chronicles in the dub) than she got in all of Johto. So to be honest, even though she didn't get a nice goodbye (which might be because of lack of things for her in Johto or smth) I think she left before it became too long as she became stale. After all, Brock got pretty stale by DP as I did notice someone mentioned before.

idk how much this is really relevant but I think it's good that she didn't become stale like many believe Brock did and that sticking with Ash wasn't going to help her with her dream (however, leaving Ash did the opposite if the special episodes say anything).

Actually, Misty had done plenty in Johto. DBZ Fan can explain it far better than I ever can, and I've watched Johto, at least the episodes on the Cartoon Network marathon leading up to DP, and thus can confirm she had indeed done quite a bit.

Besides, at least she actually had a goal in Johto she was actively working towards, anyways. Brock's breeder goal was a joke. I think the closest he's gotten to actually doing the goal was the episode where he gave Vulpix back to Suzy. Other than that, I can't recall even one instance of Brock actually doing anything even relatable to Breeding, and this was despite Pokémon Gold Silver and Crystal actually introducing the breeding mechanic.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
I suppose it's a matter of perspective then as I know several people who say that she didn't do much in Johto (I'm holding off on having my own opinion until I rewatch it because it's been waaay too long for me to even have one). But regardless, Misty wouldn't really do contests and they would have certainly wanted to showcase those somehow. So there's that I guess.

And lmao yeah idk Breeding was a strange thing in the anime. Maybe that's why they just went 'ok let's make him a doctor instead' in the end because ?????

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Jan 3, 2018

I know you dont like reading big posts but in reply down below ill try to explain some things about Misty, how unfairly she is marked as boring character in Johto and how traveling to new, exotic regions could be of great help for Misty development and making sense in advancing her story.

You should never take what other people say about some character "becoming boring" as true, but watching it for yourself and see if it appealed to you or not. Because each person has different taste and criteria of what can be considered boring or enjoyable. There is no right or wrong thing in here with people being very subjectrive in this things trying to sometime pass their own opinion as "fact".

Something they shouldn't, but still do.

For example some people think Misty was stale in Johto. Other people think she didn't lost her shtick and appeal as character there suffering from lack of focus in end of 3rd and 4th season but still keeping her entertaining qualities while developing some new fun and exciting quirks because of maturing.
What i can tell you is how Misty battled more than she did in Kanto and Orange Islands combined in Johto, she had whole story arc dedicated to her in form of Whirl Islands catching Corsola, entering Whirl Cup and battling TR to help free Lugia and its baby, she had several character development and episodes focusing on herself. Such as getting over complex of feeling inferior to Daisy and others proving herself to other trainers like Harrison, Trinity, Marcellus etc. Helped other characters who had similar issues with older siblings like she did with Sakura forming strong friendship. Gave us insight in her past and revealed her fears of not standing Garados aleways being uncomfortable with its presence. Revealed why she adores water pokemon.

Learned more about water pokemon and how to establish stronger bond with them(like Wilhlmina Marill she saved from falling tree, trying to take care of mischievous Wooper in kindergarten, helped her Poliwhirl to stand up for himself and get over issue of insecurity building on close bond ful of understanding and support when beng bullied by others like Andreas Poliwrath from Seaking contest.

Became more mature, selfcritic and respectable of different opinions. This was especially noticeable in episode "Some Like it Hot" for example where after heated arguing and irreverence she had with hotheaded fire trainer Egan she came to understand his preference for fire pokemon lster starting to bond becoming friends. With Misty through wisdom and talk about why she likes water pokemon so much helped him to develop strategy in catching and defearing Macargo.

Developed independence stopping to rely on Ash and Brock help as much. This can be noticed in her increase of initiative to take care of things on her own becoming more focused on goal of becoming best water trainer while becoming more confident in her abilities taking charge in battling Jessie, James and Meowth by herself. Trying to stop TR Arbok mecha when Togepi and Pikachu were kidnapped on her own. Took initiative to break hypnosus Ninetales and Lakoko imposed on Brock wanting to save him, encouraged Ash to save Brock from Team Rocket when he was beaten by TR and sick etc .

Perhaps best evidence to show how much traveling with Ash helped Misty to become stronger trainer and more sure in herself happened in "Cerulean Blues" when having to face childhood trauma Gyarados , resolve whole problem with Cerulean gym and make amends with her fears. Developing higher sense of courage and determination there. Doing unselfish and devoted act in risking her life, taking poison sting and harsh beating from three Tentacruel almost ending killed if it wasnt for Gyarados to save her, helping her realize how she developed wrong opinion of this pokemon.

We get to see her play role in various subplots helping Ash fight TR, other villains, try to resolve mysteries like who is Gligarman, mystery of arachnid thief, pleading hwrself to dr. Foster assistant making Brock grab Misty ear(this didnt hapopened very often, it was episode "Fossil Fools" or "Corsola Caper" for example). When Misty went too far in fangirly mode or with her passio toward water pokemon, being hilarious to see Brock for change grabbing her by ear telling her to chill down.

Many people which call Misty boring and terrible character in Johto never even bothered to watch this saga to form their own opinion taking like sheep someone word as "evidence", or never watched whole Johto.

Now regarding Misty dreams and why traveling is of greater help than current situation:
In reality traveling with Ash would be of more help to Misty dreams than staying at gym ever could provide.
Since by traveling Misty could expand horizons being possible to meet stronger trainers or other water trainers which dont come to gym,learn new things about water pokemon much more by observing them in natural habitat than she could ever at gym as well entering tournaments to help her to improve skill gathering at one place higher concentration of high level, skilled trainers and allowing to show your abilities and how adaptable as trainer you are to wider group of people on global basis. Something Whirl Cup as directly tied to Misty dream of becoming master of water pokemon and sea priestess Maya emphasized on.

Not being possible to enter competitions and tasks which push you forward in achieving this title, catch various new water pokemon unattainable in Kanto region as Unova perefectly showed when Clair had to travell all way from Johto to Decolora islands to get Druddigon due to distance preventing pokemon migration.

By staying at gym Misty cant unlock full potential of water pokemon usiung them in most efficient manner such as mega evolution. Most importantly at gym Misty cannot become powerful, creative and honored as water trainer like E4 members are who are top mono type trainers in world. With every gym leader who became stronger leaving gym to travel. Meet stronger trainers than he/she ever faced at gym, battling in prestigue events where all kind of diverse and creative strategies he can encounter, develop its own battling style and facing all kind of unexpected situations and wild unknown pokemon having to improvise and think outside the box sharpening your skills, speed of reaction and originality in resolving problems.

I talked about this in thread i made about Misty water pokemon master dream in here few weeks ago.

Reason why Misty goals werent explored enough in Original series had nothing to do with Ash who doesnt hold anyone back from improving and becoming stronger.

But in Misty being writers first female they wrote for being in pokemon when they still werent sure what they want from show and following different formula where more attention was put on friendship, message of three friends exploring world of pokemon developing on relationship between themselves and experiencing all kind of dangers and adventures between themseles.

In OS priority was development of humans, their personalities, motives, fears and giving viewers insight in their past, hidden thoughts and desires going through emotional growth.

With pokemon training, focus on pokemon creatures, exploration of someone goals and career as trainer not being much represented. Even Ash in Kanto, Orange and Johto very rarely trained, evolved his pokemon snd almost nothing about his master dream was unveiled back in those days.

Its not that Misty goals couldnt be advanced, she was simply in pokemon at time when different standards were followed developing and maturing in personality, her feelings for Ash and Brock and finding strength to forgive her sisters for all degradation she had to put up with in past. But that growth wasnt backed with development of her dreams and story plots.

But if Master Quest was something to go by and abit earlier than that once pokemon formula started to change after mr. Shudo stepped out from position of head writer in middle of Johto with Atsuhiro Tomioka and other writers taking over with Misty catching Corsola, evolving Poliwhirl, entering Whirl Cup which shed light on what title of watere master entails and how water masters were titled "Alpha oMega" of water pokemon, confronting nurse Joy which hated water pokemon being abrasive and adamant in defending specie she loves so much, battling several trainers like Sakura, Delaney with Poliwrath, Coastline gym leader Dorian etc.

Proved how they know and have ideas what to do with Misty career of water trainer.
So in case of coming back or staying Misty not being suitable for contests was hardly impediment in exploring and building on her career of becoming water master.

There existed ton of new water pokemon Misty could caught and develop better understanding of them. Such as Milotic, Swanna, Finneon, Tirtouga or Sealeo for example.

Writers could break new grounds with what they established about title of water master with lore introduced in Whirl Islands, Creating new water tournaments, have Misty meet water sages which learned how to use this type to full potential, participate in all kind of special tasks bringing her closer in achieving dreams(like underwater battles, races). Big tournaments hosted by prestigue trainers like Wallace gathering creme among water specialists.

World tournament writers shamelessly skipped over for most part in BW.

Having Misty and others who pursue water master title having to work on catching pokemon with specific features to have adequate team for every challenge. Developing team which can be good on ground, steel surface, under the water or in air sounds like pretty interesting recipe for unique, viable adventure.

Have Misty involved in arc dealing with legendary water pokemon like Kyogre in clash between Team Aqua and Team Magma, Suicune, Manaphy or Kyurem; establishing close bond full of understanding, support and respect. Reading its feelings and understanding better their vital role in eco system. Which is expected from any water pokemon master.

See Misty battling evaluators and special tasks testing her resourcefulness, bond with pokemon, knowledge and creativity when making strategies in trying to become first female E4 member of water pokemon in history. Since E4 members are best mono trainers, whuch Misty wants to become idolizing E4 Lorelei.

Meet strange species like Surskit which is half bug or Binnacle facing struggling between her aversion toward bug types and pokemon she finds unattractive/scary and passion, devotedness toward water pokemon having to find strength in overcoming her prejudices.
Etc, etc.

Final thoughts:
Logically if Misty developed more than Brock had in OS. If she had more battle oriented dreams requiring entering tournaments and be in action. If writers started giving more attention and love for her goals, development and focus in second half of Johto and later chronicles Hoenn cameos recovering from fading in background during transition period when Takeshi Shudo left his position of writer in charge with writers until 5th season not being sure where they want to go with their characters and pokemon anime.

Brimming with flirty escapades and tomboyish attitiude toward Ash, Brock, various other characters like girl magician which turned Ash in Pikachu, Britanny, Daisy, colonel Hanson, Tracey etc. Delivering lot of action, tension, clash and comedy.
Serves as pretty strong indication how she would be anything but stale with all that potential and all kind of interesting plots and ides new generations introduced existing to develop Misty character forward.

And still does:
- with whole concept of mega evolution having Misty go on quest to collect mega and key stone evolving Gyarados or some other water type like Slowbro.

-Meeting first pure E4 member of water pokemon in history labelerd as water master in games(E4 Siebold)who could teach her how to become stronger water trainer achieving perfect synchronization with her pokemon. Which she still lacks if her problem with Psyduck is something to go by for example.

-Have Misty enter Battle Chateau or big water tournaments gathering water experts from all parts of world in developing more complex battle style and be recognized for her strategy in using water specie pushing her closer in becoming water master. Etc.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I suppose it's a matter of perspective then as I know several people who say that she didn't do much in Johto (I'm holding off on having my own opinion until I rewatch it because it's been waaay too long for me to even have one). But regardless, Misty wouldn't really do contests and they would have certainly wanted to showcase those somehow. So there's that I guess.

And lmao yeah idk Breeding was a strange thing in the anime. Maybe that's why they just went 'ok let's make him a doctor instead' in the end because ?????

If there's a Johto marathon airing anytime soon, assuming you aren't on boycott for whatever reason, I strongly suggest you sit down and watch it.

And you do have a point regarding Misty and Pokémon Contests (though to be fair, Princess vs. Princess did have Misty participating in something similar to a Pokémon Contest, even explicitly referring to it as such, so it's not like she can't do it), though then again, who said they needed to showcase Pokémon Contests as a goal? They could easily just showcase them like they did the Secret Bases in AG, being one or two episodes at most, especially when Pokémon Contests don't even lead to the endgame credits in the games. Not to mention if Misty manages to catch a Feebas, they'd need for her to do at least one contest in order to showcase it evolving into a Milotic anyways, considering that pretty much the only real use in Contests is to evolve Feebas anyways.

EDIT: Also, yeah, agreed with DBZ Fan there. Might as well point out that when I think of "doing something," assuming I'm not narrowly defining it to having relation to something specific like a job or a goal or something, I generally mean anything that is a verb, and she did plenty that related to her goal at least, not to mention stuff that aided in her development as well. Heck, even if we don't watch the episodes, we can at least read the summaries and judge for ourselves.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
I suppose it's a matter of perspective then as I know several people who say that she didn't do much in Johto (I'm holding off on having my own opinion until I rewatch it because it's been waaay too long for me to even have one).
Speaking only for myself here, Kasumi's major problem insofar as what she's done in the show can be summed up with her exit at the end of the OS. It's a great episode but the way she just leaves with no build up, no final statement on everything she's accomplished on her journey to become a Water Pokémon Master demonstrates how little the writers seemed to really care about it.

The issue with Kasumi's activity (or lack thereof) to me isn't so much that she didn't get focus episodes to shine but that outside of perhaps the Whirl Cup few of them really seemed to mean anything, and the ones not directly related to capturing or evolving Pokémon just blended in with the rest of Jouto's filler episodes. When I compare it to someone like Haruka who had the Pokémon Contests and ribbons to collect and measure her progress against, rivals to bounce off of, and an actual endgame in the Grand Festival, whose final exit from the show was foreshadowed a few episodes in advance in a more believable way, and who had one final Contest battle with Satoshi as a way of ending her tenure in AG, Kasumi doesn't come across that impressively.

That's why the fact that Haruka ultimately replaced Kasumi doesn't really bother me. I'd rather watch the Contests and see her collect the ribbons, which I really think went a long way towards improving the franchise after what I felt was a very tedious Jouto saga, then the occasional episode where Kasumi does something that's more than likely not going to be referenced in the future.

I don't think I'd be wrong in getting the impression that perhaps the Kasumi fans here don't really care about stuff like that to the extent, and (assuming I'm correct) that's fine. We all watch this franchise for different reasons and it's entirely possible to still enjoy Kasumi, what she brought to the anime, the way she bounced off Satoshi and Takeshi, etc. And if that's how one looks at it, then Kasumi's episodes and what she accomplished in them will probably stand out far more.

Back