• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Sharing the Experience

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
In Pokémon X and Y, we've gotten ourselves a new system of Experience Share. In past generation of games, this was a held item, and it'd pass a bit of experience points to which Pokémon on your team is happening to be holding it. This time, however, they had turned it into key item, and it'd throw equal amount of exp. to each and every member of your party. In turn, it had made training a lot easier for many.

Overall, what are your thoughts on the new Experience Share--do you like, or dislike? If there's anything you would change regarding the item, what would it be and why?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
I am happy that exp share doesn't work like in gen 1, where the game told you how much exp was given to each pokemon (which was a total waste of time), and that it can be turned off and on.
Also, it seems like pokes level up a lot easier, which, along with some other features, makes pokemon XY the best games to build a competitive team relatively fast.
However, during the playthrough I had to leave my team in the box and make another because they were so overleveled that it wasn't funny at all to OHKO everything (this might be because catching pokes gives exp too now).

I wouldn't change anything of the exp share, it's a pretty cool item as it is now.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
It's a good idea but if you're used to grinding it really throws you off. It would be neat if you used it and trainer levels or AI was upped to help compensate.

skyburial

Orca Hype
Years
Awesome for filling up your Dex. I still have the Garchomp that I used in Generation IV for Exp Share training through the Elite 4. I think I went through the Hall of Fame about 50 times just to evolve pokes. The new Exp Share made it so easy for me to wrap up Generations V and VI.

It's horrible for EV's though, holy cow.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
Awesome for filling up your Dex. I still have the Garchomp that I used in Generation IV for Exp Share training through the Elite 4. I think I went through the Hall of Fame about 50 times just to evolve pokes. The new Exp Share made it so easy for me to wrap up Generations V and VI.

It's horrible for EV's though, holy cow.

It's not, if you have enough power items, you can EV train 6 different pokemon (if they need the same EVs of course) in around 12 battles.

Years
It took me a while a while to get adjusted to this and I did wish that it'd have stayed the same, but.. for the most part this makes a bit more sense than how it was before, I'd think. Sure would be nice to have an option to only share experience with a specific Pokemon though if you're not looking to train others.

But new Exp. Share was awesomepossum at training to evolve for data yas. That is something I most certainly loved. :D

Years
I thought it was a cool feature, being able to level up your entire team without any real drawbacks at all. Except the fact that the old Exp. Share was absent, but it was still a nice thing for them to throw in and am glad it will be back in ORAS.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
As for me, I actually liked it; usually, I'd find myself spending huge amount of time and energy under training Pokémon, and this optimizes all of that, requiring minimal effort.

Had this new Experience Share been introduced sooner, I definitely would have loved it. I understand that some players aren't particularly fond of this item, as it makes game-play too easy, but thankfully, there is an option to disable, so we are able to unequip it from ourselves any time we please. Personally, I have never turned it off. Will I ever consider? Perhaps if I'm taking on a challenge which requires me to.

Also, definitely agree with choosing-what-Pokémon-gain-experience idea; that'd make things pretty nifty, I believe!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I posted a somewhat similar thread to this but it appears to be at the point of "no more posting", so yeah...I'll just say what I said there.

In a way, I miss the old Exp. Share and being able to get a whole bunch of XP from one battle. I do NOT miss the difficulty in leveling when Pokémon are under your level. Single worst thing they ever did with the system there.

As for using on all? It makes it a lot easier for players like me trying to get all caught Pokémon that might get used up to the same minimum level. For anyone using an exclusive sextet of Pokémon for everything, it's perhaps too simple.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 15, 2015
Just for the record, the oldest exp. share (gen 1) worked pretty much like the one in this gen.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I've read about how the Exp. Share can cause your Pokemon to become too overleveled, so I switched mine off to give myself more of a challenge.

Nakala Pri

It was a bit annoying, since it didn't really require any dedication to level up. :( And since the after-game material is little, it made the game even shorter, y'know?

But it's not all bad, it's pretty useful for new teams. :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
I liked the new Exp. Share for bringing new Pokemon onto my team or for leveling up several Pokemon at once. It's also great for horde training en masse. It certainly saved time. However, it also tended to make my team quite overleveled, and it was frustrating how I couldn't raise new Pokemon without inadvertently overleveling the rest of my team (unless I dumped everyone else in the PC). I wish we had had both the new and old Exp. Share options, so I could use the Exp. All-style item in some cases and the single-Pokemon Exp. Share in others.

It'll be interesting to see what GF does with this moving forward. I'm not convinced they'll hold onto it, but who knows? It might just be another one of those one-generation gimmicks/ideas that fade (like the level-dependent experience in gen V).

Years
I used the Exp. Share and I didn't mind it, even if I did feel a bit overleveled. However at certain points it is recommended you use it because you can become underleveled in some late portions of the game.

However, because of how much it acts like 1st Gen's Exp. All, it's heavily discouraged to use it in most challenges like Nuzlockes.

Years
I actually really like this new Exp. Share. I have a tendency to pick favorites and typically end up using them a lot and neglecting others in my party. So, this tool actually helps me when I'm in a bind to level and when I have a set focus or game plan.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
Years
I'm going to be "that person" to say that I don't really like it. I kept mine off for the entirety of my playthrough. Being able to have a super strong team without even having to use all my Pokes feels...weird xD I like having to actually use my Pokemon in order for them to get stronger . To each their own though, I'm just glad they made it optional :)

J a s m i n e ©

Girl Trainer Domination
Years
I loved it. It made grinding so much easier. It was especially useful for when you add lowered level Pokémon to your already lvl. 75+ team and you need that Pokémon to level up quickly.

ΩRαS

Creepin' up in Hoenn
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 3, 2015
I'm thankful it isn't like previous generations and is now a Key Item.
In the past I found how to convince friends to part with theirs so that I could share the experience with more than just one of my Pokemon.

The only thing I don't like is that constantly sharing the exp (even from catching a wild Pokemon) your party can become over leveled but can easily be avoided with the option to turn the Exp. Share on and off as you please.

Back