• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen What team did you beat "Red" with?

Years
  • Age 71
  • Seen Oct 9, 2014
If you've fought red as you probably knew when the battle commenced Red is amazingly tough and a worthy foe. The fight, to me is clearly legendary. Hell the fight just to get up there makes for a very gratifying feeling after you finally beat the best in the game arguably, the series. The question is what team helped you beat the best in the world? If you can remember give their approximate levels. Here's mine:

- Alakazam Level: 98-99
- Rhyperior Level: 92
- Feraligatr Level: 95
- Dragonite Level: 93
- Jolteon Level: 91
- Houndoom Level: 89

In this not surprisingly, Alakazam carried the team. Despite that however snorlax made it a close one. As said it was the most gratifying experience for me in any pokemon game. As it was truly a nailbitter. I believe I came out with 2 pokemon left. Dragonite and Alakazam being the two IIRC.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I...don't think I've beaten Red in HGSS. I do remember beating him with my Feraligatr and 5 Golducks which I cloned using the Pokemon Gold cloning glitch. Aaaah, good times. <3

Years
This is what I remember from the team that beat him:
Nidoking Lv. 62 Avalanche, Earthquake, Poison Jab, ?
Bellossom Lv. 62 Leaf Blade, Flash, Sunny Day, SolarBeam
Fearow Lv. 62 Fly, U-Turn, Drill Peck, ?
Gyarados Lv. 62 Waterfall, Ice Fang, Surf, Strength
Ampharos Lv. 62 Thunderbolt, Rock Climb, Rock Smash, Iron Tail
Typhlosion Lv. 62 Blast Burn, Dig, Rock Slide, ?

I used no healing items. Typhlosion was the only survivor, knocking out Charizard and Venusaur.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I've only ever beaten Red with the HG/SS team I've used through my whole journey:
Feraligatr
Ampharos
Heracross
Arcanine
Espeon
Crobat

It was a close call though and I nearly didn't make it. Either way I felt pretty accomplished beating him with such an underleveled team. :)

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
124.gif
162.gif
192.gif
160.gif
197.gif
469.gif

A challenge, to say the least.

Furret and Sunflora didn't offer much but I did managed to use them to take out Snorlax and Blastoise.

Years
I don't have the actual game but my friend used Typhlosion, Umbreon, Dragonite, Honchkrow, Kingdra, and Gyarados. Typhosion was in mid-90s and the others were high 80s.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Don't remember the exact levels but

Feraligatr
Dragonite
Espeon
Noctowl
Ampharos
Machamp

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
- Feraligatr
- Espeon
- Bellossom
- Aerodactyl
- Houndoom
- Ampharos

I'm pretty sure they were in their 60s or 70s at the time but yes my team I still love them so very much :')

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
lol I forget but I looked back for my game and found my team
Espeon
Houndoom
Ampharos
Lanturn
Heracross
Togekiss
it was an easy battle for me like really easy idk why he didn't have level 90 pokemon cause I had level 85-95s

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Red's party is gone stronger than in Gold/Silver/Crystal...

• Feraligatr
  • Mamoswine
  • Machamp
  • Gengar
  • Lugia
  • Ho-Oh

Feraligatr is the only one whose level is above 80 (I think it was 85 or 86) and the rest are below 80 (about 72 or 70, Lugia was 51). Feraligatr's moves are Waterfall, Earthquake, Crunch, and Brick Break while holding Expert Belt. I have done some Battle Frontier grinding to meet these moves and items. He took down Pikachu, Lapras, Charizard and Snorlax so easily. In Venusaur, I used Ho-Oh (I wish I can do this without Legendary but it has a level that can take it down). For Blastoise, I used Gengar because it has Thunder but it died, then I took a long time dealing Blastoise with Feraligatr. I also used some Full Restores in the battle. I'm also trying to look and raise a Pokemon who can defeat all Red's team in just one Pokemon. Just for a single run.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
Typhlosion
Omastar
Hitmontop
Jolteon
Exeggutor
Kingdra

They were all in the lower 80's other than Hitmontop which was I think level 77. Even with a solid team he was a hard challenge except for his Snorlax. 1 Bulk Up and 1 Close Combat, hit a critical hit with Hitmontop and he was done.

Typhlosionn

Blazing Fury
Years
-Typhlosion
-Ampharos
-Politoed
-Pidgeot
-Ho-Oh
-Mewtwo

I beat him very long back, so I don't remember the levels. :P

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Ah, I still remember my team. I defeated him with a very creative team though!

-Feraligatr level 75
-Crobat 73
-Houndoom 71
-Ho-oh 74
-Tyranitar 85 (traded from Diamond, not really fair but yeah...)
-Dragonite +/- 60
-Ampharos +/- 65

The main reason I still remembers all their levels is because of the fact that I've quit the game a short time after the battle. It didn't feel like the most epic Pokémon battle but I enjoyed it.

Years
I beat him for the first time over the summer haha, it was pretty hard going I had to level up a LOT to beat him lol :) I used:

Meganium, Venomoth, Nidoking, Flareon, Zapdos and Suicune.

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to cheat by using legendaries or anything lol, Suicune's one of my fave Pokémon and with Zapdos I wanted to try something new cause I'd never properly used one before (as was the case with Meganium, Nidoking and Flareon actually) :)

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Aug 29, 2016
Typlosion: Level 77
Ampharos: level 74
Umbreon: level 72
Tyrannitar: Level 73
Kingdra: Level 75
Scizor: Level: 74

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
When going up against Red, my team consisted of Blastoise, Blissey, Dusknoir, Machamp, Breloom, and Bronzong.

Dusknoir was playing as tank; it was able to endure a ton of hits, and strike back even harder. Its move-set Pain Split, Will-O-Wisp, Substitute, and Shadow Ball (or was it Shadow Punch?). Blissey was given sort of the same role, but its primary job was to absorb special-based hits. Bronzong was also wall, but for this one, it was was physical hits only, and not special.

As for Breloom, Machamp, and Blastoise, they were all full-fledged attackers, and would be using anything to get opponents defeated. My most favorite of these three, though, would likely have to be Machamp; thanks to its No Guard ability, it's able to take good advantage of some moves it has access to, such as Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge. This, in-return, makes this Pokémon very easy to utilize.

Years
Meganium, Houndoom, Pidgeot, Torterra, Blastoise, and Rhyperior. I don't remember their exact levels and movesets and I can't check since I've transferred all of them up and used them frequently since then.

I honestly didn't think I would win that battle. I had him down to his Snorlax and I only had Houndoom and Rhyperior, both low on HP...but then he made the mistake of having Snorlax use Giga Impact to finish my Houndoom off, leaving Snorlax wide open for my Rhyperior to finish it.

Basically, I won by pure luck/because the AI was dumb.

Years
462.gif
212.gif
157.gif
226.gif

178.gif
166.gif

Yes, I did catch a Shiny Ledyba! :)
But, My Mum sold it at a garage sale without telling me soo :(
I remember trading scyther with Fabian, My best friend!
I did have a huge fire weakness but there was Lilly, the Mantine.
Here's my team:

Magnezone, (Zoned). Level 82, Just Enough to make that Lapras faint!
Mantine, (Lilly). Level 79, Luckily it took out the Charizard!
Typhlosion, (Nick). Level 84, Took Pikachu out!
Ledian, (M'Lady). Level 82, Took the Snorlax out with a few Mach Punches!
Xatu, (Caca). Level 80, Took Venusaur out!
Scizor, (Bladewing!). Level 86, Took out the Blastoise with Night Slash!

Well, i wished I had a Gallade but oh well! SkorXX, Signin' Off!~~

Years
In my main play of Heart Gold before I deleted it, I think I had Feraligatr, Golem, Ampharos, Heracross and Ho-Oh. They were around Level 55-60, it was a bit of a long fight but we made it out.

But in my newest play I had Nidoqueen, Slowking, Forretress, and Quagsire. And Typhlosion and Ampharos but those two didn't get any screen time. All Level 78, and still clever strategies had to be made like setting up Stealth Rock and lowering his Special Attack with Captivate.

Back