• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows 10

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 9, 2015
It was an amusing PR call to go with Windows 10, but whatever floats their boat. I won't believe it's better until it actually gets released lol

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
Years
It doesn't sound bad so far, but I'm going to stick with 7 until I get a new laptop entirely. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my general philosophy towards upgrading, and 7 is working just fine for me.

Years
Azure Rathalδs, I merged your thread with the currently-existing Windows 9 thread, since the discussion is essentially for the same thing. As a reminder, always please remember to make sure that threads discussing the same topic don't already actively exist. :)

I did however change the topic's name accordingly.

/end moderator note

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
It's like the Xbox One, all over again

I'm actually glad for Windows 10. If it the square apps of Windows 8 had to stay, I'm glad it is relegated to the Start Menu, which I'm glad makes a return. But you know Seven ate nine, so it is logical why we had to jump to 10. I'm gonna upgrade because it will most likely be faster than 8 or 7.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
Guess it kind of says something about me if I'm feeling strangely excited for Windows 10 and...the small things it brings to Windows. They probably end up piling up to make up for significant improvements, huh?

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29431412

Because apparently windows 9 was too good to exist, Microsoft has announced windows 10. It brings back the Start menu and starts a new initiative of smaller updates rather than one huge update.

And here we all thought this was just a bad April Fools' Joke. Predicted more than a year ago. Good call, guys.

An upgrade from 8, surely. But as long as there's still the ugly metro tiles, I'm happier with 7. My PC is not a smartphone or a tablet, nor should it try to look like one.

I get that there's some other really nice upgrades hiding in there, but I still don't like the UI. At all. It looks all bulky and clunky. Give it a nice theme or a complete overhaul at this rate to make it more manageable with a mouse and keyboard (and easier on the eyes) and let me know how many games will actually run on it smoothly.. and then I'll letcha know if it's on my radar. :P

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Windows 10? Sounds like they took a note out of Android's playbook, and decided to jump ahead to show signs of change. Next you'r gonna tell me the Surface OS is Windows 9 as well...

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Years
If I was to try the developer preview, it'd most definitely be done in a virtual machine.. especially since I have a laptop that can handle it now xD

Years
I opened up the developer preview in VMWare Player right now. Installing it as I type, and just to let y'all know: still the same ol' screen since Vista for installing it. :P

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
Years
Windows 9 was next in line to be a great OS. They kind of just jinxed themselves. Microsoft, you dun goofed.

Years
It's not running terribly well in my VM application, I might go and set up a dual-boot so I can have full hardware support and not have a pile of lag.

Edit: Setting it up on an old laptop of mine, it has Wacom support right out of the box it seems. The setup stuff seems to support it nicely.
Yeah, I kinda figured with lack of cooperation in a VM. In fact, after I posted that, the installation froze in VMware Player.

Years
I tried it in VirtualBox with no luck, because as mentioned above, the VirtualBox tools didn't install at all due to compatibility issues. However, I re-tried installing in VMware with success this time around! The VMware tools do work with Windows 10 and everything runs smoothly.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
I have Windows 10 preview running in Virtualbox no problem:
Spoiler:

Set the Machine to Windows 8.1
So far, it's everything Windows 8 SHOULD have been
I like it

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 24, 2019
Does anyone find themselves using Windows Store apps on desktops now that they are windowed? I still exclusively use desktop applications, especially since I could do everything on Chrome rather than having Facebook, Reddit, News, etc. as separate apps.

Guest123_x1

I downloaded the Tech Preview not long after it was released, and installed it into a VirtualBox VM. So far, I like the user interface improvements over Windows 8.x, including the ability to run Metro/Modern apps in traditional desktop windows, and better integration of the Metro design with the traditional Windows desktop workspace.
Here's some screenshots that I took running the preview (some have been edited to remove personal information):

The new Start Menu, which I customized a bit to showcase the ability to pin traditional desktop programs (such as the Control Panel) to the right-side tiles workspace.
Spoiler:

The ShellAbout dialog, confirming that the actual operating system version is Windows NT 6.4.
Spoiler:

The sign-in prompt, which looks pretty much the same as in Windows 8.1, although I set the option to require Ctrl+Alt+Delete for sign-in (as I do with all my Windows machines).
Spoiler:

The rumors going around are that there are too many programs out there with code that use "Windows 9" or "Windows 9x" to refer to Windows 95 and Windows 98 in their OS checks.
Indeed, that's what I've been hearing also. Besides, a lot of setup programs were designed to check the operating system version based on its market name rather than the actual OS version number as reported by the kernel. This is similar in some ways to how some programs that were designed for Windows NT 4.0 and later could be installed and operate on NT 3.51 (NT 3.51 was released a few months before Windows 95, and thus, was designed to run certain programs designed for Windows 95, including Office 95 and 97. Besides, NT 3.x wasn't exactly popular back in its day, given its high system requirements for the era.)

Years
I haven't had much time to check out the Windows 10 Technical Preview, although I did get around to installing it in VMWare Player a few weeks ago. It seems nice from what I've seen, although I do kinda have a dislike to the buttons being right along the edge and not just off-center slightly. >_> just one pet peeve I guess

Monophobia

Already Dead
Years
Basically Windows 10 is Windows 8.1 with all of the Stardock addons for it plus minor icon changes. That's disappointing.

Also, Microsoft is bothering me now with this metro stuff. "Your laptop can be like your tablet!" Well no **** but that's why I bought a laptop not a tablet.

EDIT: At this rate, I'll be downgrading to Windows 7 or switching to OSX.

Last edited:
Back