• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
What would be a good Mega Manectric counter?

Blissey, Quagsire and Gastrodon stop Mega Manectric cold. The former walls Manectric entirely with its good special bulk, while the latter two are immune to Manectric's Electric STAB and take pittance from Overheat and HP Ice. Dragons not 4x weak to HP Ice like Assault Vest Goodra and Mega Charizard X also counter Mega Manectric.

A weakened Mega Manectric can be revenge killed by Scarf Terrakion and Garchomp.

Years
Blissey isnt stopping Mega Manectric cold. it hinders it from actually killing stuff, but it allows so much other **** to ravage through whatever ur team is. Also u have lol gk goth for it

for a sand team, pivoting around and getting Ttar into it on a HP ice/fire move and thus Pursuiting the Volt Switch for some solid damage, is the way to go. An elec immunity is pretty important though, and if you lack that (which sand shouldnt), youre gonna have a hard time punishing Volt Switches.

Non-sand, like italian offense, has huge Mega Manectric weaknesses, and usually has to risk sending in Diggersby on a "predicted Tbolt/VS". If youre lucky, the opponent is dumb enough to HP Ice turn 1, letting it die to Chompers EQ, but a well played one is this teams worst nightmare.

In such an offensive metagame like this, simply switching into it with something bulky isnt getting you anywhere. Theyll keep momuentum and punish you severely for doing so. Forcing them to think twice; having them not be able to just spam voltswitch is how to counterplay it, much like the zapdos/raikou gsc thought process. And in xy its even worse as you rarely have time to recover.

Id say ttar is your best "viable" answer due to ttar actually being able do directly punish it with pursuit (which i still think is a top 2 pokemon move in the game). But if your opp plays it well, you might need another electric resist to cut you loose.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
So I'm just experimenting with Cherrim and throwing around some ideas.

So I was initially going to go for a Modest Cherrim, but then I read it's ability increases Sp Def and Att for the whole party (including itself) so that totally changed what I was going to do with it and I need some advice. (And by advice, I mean advice on how to make this moveset work, not changing it to whatever Smogon says ;-) )

So I was thinking of making it a mixed attacker because of it's ability so I was thinking of making it mild nature instead of Modest, but would it be okay to make it modest instead of I am going to be getting a boost from it's ability during sunny day? Should I make it mild as to not negate it's attack, or should I stick with modest and just deal with the negated attack points?

Now, the moveset I was initally thinking of was Sunny Day, Solar Beam (since Sunny Day makes it go every turn), Weather Ball (which turns it to a fire type move, doubles it's BP and takes care of Ice and Bug Types) and I was finally considering Rollout to cover it's weakness to Fire, Flying and also Bug.

Locking yourself into a move isn't ideal, I know, but it seems to make the most sense to make use of the ability but more importantly in a type that would benefit it against certain opponent types. I was also considering swapping out Sunny Day and putting in Growth because of the mixed nature and simply having someone else set up the Sunny Day instead (because then Growth makes both Att and Sp Att rise two levels in sunny day rather than just the 1)

So anyway, it was just something I was thinking about. Main two questions:

- Mild or Modest for mixed?
- Sunny Day or Growth and have someone else use Sunny Day/Drought?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So I'm just experimenting with Cherrim and throwing around some ideas.

So I was initially going to go for a Modest Cherrim, but then I read it's ability increases Sp Def and Att for the whole party (including itself) so that totally changed what I was going to do with it and I need some advice. (And by advice, I mean advice on how to make this moveset work, not changing it to whatever Smogon says ;-) )

So I was thinking of making it a mixed attacker because of it's ability so I was thinking of making it mild nature instead of Modest, but would it be okay to make it modest instead of I am going to be getting a boost from it's ability during sunny day? Should I make it mild as to not negate it's attack, or should I stick with modest and just deal with the negated attack points?

Now, the moveset I was initally thinking of was Sunny Day, Solar Beam (since Sunny Day makes it go every turn), Weather Ball (which turns it to a fire type move, doubles it's BP and takes care of Ice and Bug Types) and I was finally considering Rollout to cover it's weakness to Fire, Flying and also Bug.

Locking yourself into a move isn't ideal, I know, but it seems to make the most sense to make use of the ability but more importantly in a type that would benefit it against certain opponent types. I was also considering swapping out Sunny Day and putting in Growth because of the mixed nature and simply having someone else set up the Sunny Day instead (because then Growth makes both Att and Sp Att rise two levels in sunny day rather than just the 1)

So anyway, it was just something I was thinking about. Main two questions:

- Mild or Modest for mixed?
- Sunny Day or Growth and have someone else use Sunny Day/Drought?
While it's tempting to make a mixed Cherrim due to Flower Gift boosting its Attack in sun, it's not worth it because Cherrim's offenses aren't that strong. It's best to stick to special offense only. Rollout isn't worth it because it's weak initially, takes too much time for it to get to its max power and locks you into battle while it's in effect. There's also the possibility of it missing, forcing you to use Rollout again at its weakest power if you want to use it again. Hidden Power Rock, though weak, is the better alternative because it works off of Cherrim's better Special Attack, doesn't lock you in battle and has higher BP.

Stick to using Sunny Day, since Sun turns are precious given the fact that Drought lasts 5-8 turns now and Cherrim can set up sun again should the weather wear off.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
While it's tempting to make a mixed Cherrim due to Flower Gift boosting its Attack in sun, it's not worth it because Cherrim's offenses aren't that strong. It's best to stick to special offense only. Rollout isn't worth it because it's weak initially, takes too much time for it to get to its max power and locks you into battle while it's in effect. There's also the possibility of it missing, forcing you to use Rollout again at its weakest power if you want to use it again. Hidden Power Rock, though weak, is the better alternative because it works off of Cherrim's better Special Attack, doesn't lock you in battle and has higher BP.

Stick to using Sunny Day, since Sun turns are precious given the fact that Drought lasts 5-8 turns now and Cherrim can set up sun again should the weather wear off.

awesome,thank you for the explanation!

gayday

Future bug-type gym leader uvu
Years
Vibrava? o~o

Ok, so, i really like vibrava, its a nerdy little sand bug, and id love to use one on my team. Problem is: it sucks. little cuppers are better than vibrava. But i wont give up on my dream!!!

so, what im asking is, got any ideas for a vibrava? i've thought about maybe focus sash or quick claw, then maybe u-turn, earthquake, outrage and quick attack, and obviously trained in attack and speed. also, no, i dont want flygon. i like flygon and i might work with one some time but i want vibrava.

anyways, got any ideas? o^o

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
Ok, so, i really like vibrava, its a nerdy little sand bug, and id love to use one on my team. Problem is: it sucks. little cuppers are better than vibrava. But i wont give up on my dream!!!

so, what im asking is, got any ideas for a vibrava? i've thought about maybe focus sash or quick claw, then maybe u-turn, earthquake, outrage and quick attack, and obviously trained in attack and speed. also, no, i dont want flygon. i like flygon and i might work with one some time but i want vibrava.

If you're using it for anything other than in-game purposes, I implore you to forget about it. Obviously, anything can work in-game but if you're going to use it for online battles and/or competitive battles, you'll only be met with disappointment (because of extremely bad performance) and ridicule (because it's a terrible idea).

With that said, try this set:
Vibrava @Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Eviolite
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- U-Turn
- Fire Punch / whatever you want

I'd like to reiterate that Vibrava is a terrible Pokemon for any purposes other than in-game battles.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you're using it for anything other than in-game purposes, I implore you to forget about it. Obviously, anything can work in-game but if you're going to use it for online battles and/or competitive battles, you'll only be met with disappointment (because of extremely bad performance) and ridicule (because it's a terrible idea).

With that said, try this set:
Vibrava @Choice Scarf/Life Orb/Eviolite
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Adamant/Jolly nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- U-Turn
- Fire Punch / whatever you want

I'd like to reiterate that Vibrava is a terrible Pokemon for any purposes other than in-game battles.
Vibrava can't learn Dragon Claw or Fire Punch, while Flygon can, FYI. The best move in the last slot is Rock Slide.

To add salt to the wound, Vibrava is essentially a faster Mudkip in terms of base stats.

peterd1994

pokemonfanforever
Years
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a gardevoir as I might use it as my mega next my. aegislash I'd like to know the Evs the moveset nature and Abilitys thanks for your help and anyone there for future help?:)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I was wondering if anyone could help me with a gardevoir as I might use it as my mega next my. aegislash I'd like to know the Evs the moveset nature and Abilitys thanks for your help and anyone there for future help?:)

Mega Gardevoir is one of the best answers to stall; it only needs to worry about Doublade in those teams:
-Psyshock
-Hyper Voice
-Focus Blast
-Taunt/Will-o-Wisp/Substitute/Calm Mind
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe (lives 2 Psyshocks from Latios)
Item: Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace

Take note that Aegislash was banned to Ubers some time ago, but if you're looking to use it for Battle Spot or the like, use these. Swords Dance + King's Shield seems tempting, but it's not effective because it's easily walled and crippled. Also, Stance Change is Aegislash's sole ability:
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak/Iron Head
-Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Pursuit
-King's Shield
Nature: Quiet
EVs: 244 HP/12 Def/252 SAtk
Item: Leftovers

or
-Substitute
-Toxic
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest

or
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword/Pursuit
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

or
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head/Shadow Claw
-Sacred Sword/Head Smash
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

peterd1994

pokemonfanforever
Years
Mega Gardevoir is one of the best answers to stall; it only needs to worry about Doublade in those teams:
-Psyshock
-Hyper Voice
-Focus Blast
-Taunt/Will-o-Wisp/Substitute/Calm Mind
Nature: Timid/Modest
EVs: 24 Def/232 SAtk/252 Spe (lives 2 Psyshocks from Latios)
Item: Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace

Take note that Aegislash was banned to Ubers some time ago, but if you're looking to use it for Battle Spot or the like, use these. Swords Dance + King's Shield seems tempting, but it's not effective because it's easily walled and crippled. Also, Stance Change is Aegislash's sole ability:
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak/Iron Head
-Sacred Sword/Iron Head/Pursuit
-King's Shield
Nature: Quiet

or
-Substitute
-Toxic
-King's Shield
-Shadow Ball
Nature: Modest

or
-Shadow Ball
-Shadow Sneak
-Flash Cannon
-Sacred Sword/Pursuit
Nature: Hasty/Naive
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SAtk/252 Spe

or
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Iron Head/Shadow Claw
-Sacred Sword/Head Smash
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe

Thanks for your help I'm tream building atm as your a great help mind if I ask you when it comes along to other to add to my team:)

Years

Use Flygon. No reason not to. Its like saying I wanna run Ember>Flamethrower because I like the animation better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dereck_S

Veteran
Years
not sure if I'm in the right thread but here it goes. New to breeding for iv's I'm trying to make this goodra Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
So using some ditto's and whatnot I've got a handful of goomy's with 5 perfect iv's just not in the right place. So I'm currently breeding these two goomy's
male 31/31/31/31/31/xx holding destiny not
female xx/31/31/31/31/31 modest with gooey holding an everstone. I know I will eventually get the right goomy (gotta love that law of large numbers) but I'm pretty sure its a 1/24 chance of getting 31/xx/31/31/31/31 (assuming I'm selecting 5 out of 6 stats to be passed, and 1/2 chance for both the HP and Speed to be passed correct). In essence I am wondering if I am doing this the most efficient way this late in the process?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
not sure if I'm in the right thread but here it goes. New to breeding for iv's I'm trying to make this goodra Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor / Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Wave
So using some ditto's and whatnot I've got a handful of goomy's with 5 perfect iv's just not in the right place. So I'm currently breeding these two goomy's
male 31/31/31/31/31/xx holding destiny not
female xx/31/31/31/31/31 modest with gooey holding an everstone. I know I will eventually get the right goomy (gotta love that law of large numbers) but I'm pretty sure its a 1/24 chance of getting 31/xx/31/31/31/31 (assuming I'm selecting 5 out of 6 stats to be passed, and 1/2 chance for both the HP and Speed to be passed correct). In essence I am wondering if I am doing this the most efficient way this late in the process?
This is generally the most efficient way, yes. It all boils down to persistence.

As for your set, I'd like to add my two cents: Goodra doesn't need both Thunderbolt and Sludge Wave; both hit Azumarill, but the former hits Gyarados, while the latter hits Fairies in general. Having a way to deal with Heatran is also preferred; Earthquake or Muddy Water can do that for you. While people like to use Gooey to punish physical attackers by slowing them down, Sap Sipper is another option for a Grass immunity, even though Goodra already resists Grass.

Dereck_S

Veteran
Years
Thanks for that fast reply! To be perfectly honest I just sort of glanced over the moves, I haven't put too much thought into them. I guess what I'm aiming for is the concept of the build... With that being said thanks for the move input, I'll cross that road when I get to it. Well thanks for your help, and if you need/want a modest goomy with 5 perfect (one of which is attack) iv's let me know

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Here is a quick question:

Modest Noivern or Timid Noivern? Which one Is better?
While Noivern's Sp.Attack is really meh, Timid's still probably better. Without a Timid nature, stuff like Greninja, Dugtrio, Terrakion, Keldeo, and Gengar are faster than it, which isn't good for Noivern.

peterd1994

pokemonfanforever
Years
Is this any good Druddigon (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Sheer Force

EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SDef

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Dragon Claw
Rock Slide
Sucker Punch
Thunder Fang

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Is this any good Druddigon (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Sheer Force

EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SDef

Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)

Dragon Claw
Rock Slide
Sucker Punch
Thunder Fang
Not good enough. Druddigon needs a Fire move to get past Steels. Unfortunately, the below sets need move tutors from B2/W2. Note that (near-)maximum HP investment is more efficient than splitting them in both defenses. The 20 Speed EVs let Druddigon outspeed 0 Speed base 50s:
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Sucker Punch/Dragon Claw
-Fire Punch
-Gunk Shot
EVs: 236 HP/252 Atk/20 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Assault Vest
Ability: Sheer Force

or
-Stealth Rock
-Dragon Claw
-Sucker Punch