• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: General Questions & Answers Thread

Have you ever found a shiny?

• Yes

Votes: 30 49.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Yes, but I lost it!

Votes: 14 23.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
While I do agree that there are many mega-evolutions out there thus far, as long as new Pokémon are being added continuously generation-by-generation, I can't necessarily say if we could ever have enough, so to speak.

Personally, I'm fine by our current number, just like many other people here. Though, if they do decide to introduce more as time goes on, it wouldn't bother me in any way, because I feel that more megas we have, the better. They're not counted as actual Pokémon, if you know what I mean, and don't exactly register in your PokéDex as something you're able to capture; if they do add more of them, there's really not much room for me to complain (same could apply for other players as well), and just enjoy what they have to offer.

I remember Masuda saying that he'd like to give all (fully-evolved) Pokémon a mega-form some day, and if he does stick by those words, I honestly wouldn't mind, haha.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Afaik the number of fully evolved Pokemon is somewhere between 350 and 400 and aslong it stays that way, i dont want more than 100 Megas and those should really be Pokes that need them, Polar Spectrum mentioned Tyranitar and here is a List of Pokes which i wouldnt have given a Mega:
Slowbro
Gengar
Gyarados
Scizor
Metagross
Salamence
Garchomp
Diancie

Mega Lopunny is btw a Pokemon i found really good to get a Mega and it looks like it could become ou with its Mega, while it was useless before

Why Slowbro? While somewhat effective as a wall of sorts before, it was plagued by it's somewhat bad defensive typing, and I'm actually quite happy with the Mega Evolution for it. Hopefully It'll see more usage in the future.

I guess, Mega Evolutions are a part of the Power Creep that's been going on for a while in the games. It's just that they're more apparent than the stat boosts older gen Pokemon got (did anyone of the non competitive players even notice that?). It's sad, to be honest, that apparently the only way GF/Nintendo/whoever sees in balancing is to introduce even stronger stuff from gen to gen.

I'm not too fond of Mega Pokemon, to be honest. Some of them don't require any skill to be used and putting even stronger stuff into the game, to counter them, is just bad design.

You're talking Mega Lucario, Gengar and the like. Some of them have such high stats and such wonderful coverage and in the case of Mega Gengar, abilities that you're just fine slapping one on your team and you're nearly guaranteed to get kills or punch lots of holes in the opposing team. In their efforts to somewhat balance the game, they're actually creating more and more problems by buffing the already powerful ones.

While I do agree that there are many mega-evolutions out there thus far, as long as new Pokémon are being added continuously generation-by-generation, I can't necessarily say if we could ever have enough, so to speak.

Personally, I'm fine by our current number, just like many other people here. Though, if they do decide to introduce more as time goes on, it wouldn't bother me in any way, because I feel that more megas we have, the better. They're not counted as actual Pokémon, if you know what I mean, and don't exactly register in your PokéDex as something you're able to capture; if they do add more of them, there's really not much room for me to complain (same could apply for other players as well), and just enjoy what they have to offer.

I remember Masuda saying that he'd like to give all (fully-evolved) Pokémon a mega-form some day, and if he does stick by those words, I honestly wouldn't mind, haha.

Yes, more could always bring about more diversity within the metagame, but at the end of the day there would definitely be Pokemon that don't get it. With the continuous addition of Mega Evolutions, those Pokemon just won't see as much usage, though the fact that it's limited to one mega per team may help mitigate that.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
I would like to interject that Garchomps mega seemed widely unnecessary, and given their tweaks to its stats, sees even less usage from competitive players than regular garchomp. This says something pretty notable about mega selection by GF and mega usage by players.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
I would like to interject that Garchomps mega seemed widely unnecessary, and given their tweaks to its stats, sees even less usage from competitive players than regular garchomp. This says something pretty notable about mega selection by GF and mega usage by players.

Yes. I don't really mind seeing UnderUsed pokemon get buffed, that's something I would love to see implemented because I'd love a metagame where majority of the Pokemon are viable. Mega Garchomp is in the same boat as Mega Tyranitar. They were both unnecessary, and despite the Attack increment from 130-170 which is really broken, the fact that it needs to hold a Mega Stone and is unable to hold a Choice Scarf makes it really useless, since base 92 speed is pathetic if it dosen't want to get KOed the first few turns. Garchomp is a lot more viable. Don't know the logic behind some of these Mega Evolutions. :p

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
Don't know the logic behind some of these Mega Evolutions. :p

Alternate strategies are always a good thing. Mega Tyranitar isn't the best Tyranitar variant in all situations either.

I hate how gamers in general are so conservative... I really liked the idea of Mega Evolutions. I don't remember what was my first reaction to it but soon it grew on me and after seeing what it did to Charizard's usage it makes me want to see more of it.

Mega Evolution is not something a Pokémon "needs". Some of them "needed" it, but they weren't given Megas because they "needed" it, but for other reasons (in Charizard's case it was definitely popularity and the fact it's one of the first starters). That Charizard became one of the most used Pokémon in the game is just a bonus.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 7, 2017
I don't think the numbers are a problem. The thing that bothers me about Mega Evolution is that a lot of Pokemon who are already powerful are getting them. I'd prefer they give megas to Pokemon that can't evolve, or have only one evolution.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Alternate strategies are always a good thing. Mega Tyranitar isn't the best Tyranitar variant in all situations either.

I hate how gamers in general are so conservative... I really liked the idea of Mega Evolutions. I don't remember what was my first reaction to it but soon it grew on me and after seeing what it did to Charizard's usage it makes me want to see more of it.

Mega Evolution is not something a Pokémon "needs". Some of them "needed" it, but they weren't given Megas because they "needed" it, but for other reasons (in Charizard's case it was definitely popularity and the fact it's one of the first starters). That Charizard became one of the most used Pokémon in the game is just a bonus.

I don't oppose the idea of Mega Evolutions. This diversity it brings to the game is great. With regards to the argument about Charizard, LightningAlex has explained it in his post below. Yes, agreed. It can run Scarf, Mixed, SR Lead or even a Band. The main issue here is that I feel that it didn't warrant a Mega Evolution, since all it did was boost it's stats, while retaining it's useful ability. No movepool change, nothing. I do want to see more of Mega Evolutions too, but the idea that GF is churning them out mindlessly or to please fans (fan favorites ie. Charizard) scares me, because this shakes the entire metagame because they're not doing it with the mindset of pushing weaker, more obscure Pokemon up but making Pokemon reach ridiculous levels of power. :)

I don't think the numbers are a problem. The thing that bothers me about Mega Evolution is that a lot of Pokemon who are already powerful are getting them. I'd prefer they give megas to Pokemon that can't evolve, or have only one evolution.

Yeah, I do care about numbers quite a bit, the arguments are in my earlier posts, but the metagame needs some rebalancing, where you can't just slap a Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Gengar for example, and wreck just because any attack coming off their appropriate stat punches holes and hurts a whole lot. Yes, those Pokemon tend to have lower BST totals (in the case of regular Manectric) and thus in my opinion, warrant a Mega Evolution more than 3 stage Pokemon, or evolution capable Pokemon.

Currently the votes for "Yes" and "No" are tied.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
The thing you want to keep in mind is that Game Freak doesn't seem terribly concerned with improving the metagame, which is why they give megas to **** that doesn't need them *cough*Mewtwo*cough*.

Or at the very least, they aren't concerned with keeping the Singles metagame good.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
The thing you want to keep in mind is that Game Freak doesn't seem terribly concerned with improving the metagame, which is why they give megas to **** that doesn't need them *cough*Mewtwo*cough*.

Or at the very least, they aren't concerned with keeping the Singles metagame good.

Hit the nail on the head. Permanent weather and nullifying of water/fire moves anyone?
Yes, if they have any concern for the metagame, it seems only to be doubles. I actually don't understand why GF wouldn't want to have an official singles metagame. They'll be rolling in cash after every Worldwide Singles Tournament because it's just so much more easy to get into and so much more widely played.

It's precisely this trend that we're having a slew of horrible Megas recently, and it dosen't look to be changing anytime soon. Slowbro, Sharpedo (because it lost Speed Boost), Camerupt, Audino and the like, appreciate the boost from Mega Evolutions and I'm really hoping that they would rise in usage but god, please don't come up with a **** excuse to give Dragonite a Mega because of the Bangle. I'm nearly certain they will. It's one of the Pseudo legendaries including Hydriegon that hasn't got a Mega yet.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 22, 2024
I don't think 54 is too many megas I just think some of the recent ones have been kind of poorly designed, especially Audino, Slowbro, Sableye, Sharpedo.

I mean do we need megas for every Pokemon under the sun? I hope these megas never see the light of the tcg. Personally I only like megas when they look cool and are of cool Pokemon.

Also kind of tired of these mega secret rares, I miss the secret rares from Black and White.

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I don't oppose the idea of Mega Evolutions. This diversity it brings to the game is great. With regards to the argument about Charizard, LightningAlex has explained it in his post below. Yes, agreed. It can run Scarf, Mixed, SR Lead or even a Band. The main issue here is that I feel that it didn't warrant a Mega Evolution, since all it did was boost it's stats, while retaining it's useful ability. No movepool change, nothing. I do want to see more of Mega Evolutions too, but the idea that GF is churning them out mindlessly or to please fans (fan favorites ie. Charizard) scares me, because this shakes the entire metagame because they're not doing it with the mindset of pushing weaker, more obscure Pokemon up but making Pokemon reach ridiculous levels of power. :)

Pokémon isn't supposed to be balanced. You can't make Beedrill useful even with a Mega. Well, technically you could, if you gave her lots of Speed and Attack, but she has a **** typing and bad moves anyway.

If GF cared about the "metagame" they wouldn't have given Shadow Tag to a Pokémon as powerful as Gengar. And I'm pretty sure the reason they nerfed permaweather wasn't to nerf it but to make an excuse for boosting Groudon and Kyogre's abilities. From a lore's sense, it was never right that other Pokémon could cause permanent rain and sun same as Groudon and Kyogre.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 22, 2014
which game should i play

hey all just got to the elite 4 on white 2 and i am trying to decide which game to start up next what about soulsilver is there much difference from the original

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Pokémon isn't supposed to be balanced. You can't make Beedrill useful even with a Mega. Well, technically you could, if you gave her lots of Speed and Attack, but she has a **** typing and bad moves anyway.

If GF cared about the "metagame" they wouldn't have given Shadow Tag to a Pokémon as powerful as Gengar. And I'm pretty sure the reason they nerfed permaweather wasn't to nerf it but to make an excuse for boosting Groudon and Kyogre's abilities. From a lore's sense, it was never right that other Pokémon could cause permanent rain and sun same as Groudon and Kyogre.

Yes, agreed, no matter what it's still a company. So the fact that it's churning out Megas like a factory, whether it's balanced or not dosen't even matter. The fact remains that eventually the sheer amount of Megas will nearly wipe out the non Megas in terms of usage. Lots of your points are valid, Gengar with Shadow Tag is outrageous. Even Smogon is considering banning it away from Ubers, if memory serves me well.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Maserati777 said:
I don't think 54 is too many megas I just think some of the recent ones have been kind of poorly designed, especially Audino, Slowbro, Sableye, Sharpedo.

Some do have poor designs, I agree. Could imagine it being sort of tough to make a new design based off an already fully-evolved Pokémon, though, in some way, so I find it sort of understandable.

What I personally would have preferred in mega-evolution designs is for them to not get too creative. It makes more sense if said mega doesn't have much difference appearance-wise in comparison to its normal form, as it's not an actual evolution (rather, an artificial one).

Pokémon such as Lucario and Kangaskhan (spelling?) don't go through much change once they switch into their mega, and I'm very much fond of that. For Salamence, Camerupt, Altaria, and so forth, however, it's much more of a different story.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
hey all just got to the elite 4 on white 2 and i am trying to decide which game to start up next what about soulsilver is there much difference from the original

HG/SS is not a bad place to go after Black2/White2. Differences between them and the original Silver/Gold are:

-New Safari zone in Johto, and the one in Fuchsia City has been converted into a Pal Park
-Lugia/Ho-oh is not obtainable until after getting the 8th badge
-the first Pokemon in your party will follow you around
-a few more legendaries are catchable
-Crystal's Eusine side-story in now in HG/SS
-the Elite 4 gets much stronger after defeating them for the first time
-Battle Frontier makes its way to Johto

And all the mechanics changes since Gen 2 like abilities and the phyiscal/special split.

You could also try out X and Y.

Also....why was Musicality's thread on mega evolutions merged into the Q&A thread here?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 27, 2014
Question about Stadium I

Hi there from Israel!

can any one please explain to me, how do i save game in Pokemon Stadium for the Nintendo 64?

each time I shutdown the system, I need to start the GYM tower from the beginning!

SOOOO please can any one help me out with this problem?

thanks again for any help!

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2022
Purified count not always increasing in Colosseum?

EDIT: nvm, turns out the Pokemon I just purified were some of the hacked ones.

Last edited:
Years
Just wondering if, while playing with the other DS 'version' titles on 2ds or 3ds, if using any DS lite for local union room trades will have affect on save files.
**Have 3 lites, a DSI, a 2ds and 3ds.

Also, this problem seriously makes me WTF:
- now and then while doing my thing, in White2 or Platinum for example, while in battle trying for attack selection, I get sent to the menu where my party gets shown as though its the status screen or I want to use an item instead. Gets very annoying if in a trainer tier fight because a wild can usually be fled from.
**Why this happen?

sonicfan7895

Just a dude, I guess
Years
Concerning Nuzlocke

I have a quick question concerning Nuzlocke runs;

Are caves limited to one Pokemon per floor of a cave? I'm doing a randomizer Nuzlocke with a friend in Ruby (a friendly race of sorts) and I was confused about Granite Cave. You see, with each map they all have a different encounter set (if applicable), and the randomizer randomizes all of the encounter slots. Just curious before I actually move onto Slateport.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 2, 2014
****PLEASE READ**** POKEMON GREEN?

Hi friends! This is my first post. I just joined yesterday :D

Sorry if I'm in the wrong place, I really had a struggle navigating through the website. Hope I'm in the right place though :)

So basically, you know how there is pokemon red and blue? I have Pokemon green that I got around 12 years ago for my birthday. Now here is the thing, I only got told the other day by a friend that Pokemon green was never released in the US or the UK ( I'm from UK, England). But I have a copy, and it's in English or American, whatever you want to call it so it's not a Japanese version. And I only need a touros to complete my pokedex, so it's not a fake or anything because I've done the whole story. I read up on it and every time I type in on Google 'Pokemon green' 99% of the results come up with pokemon leaf green. And the other 1% is very vague about Pokemon green itself and only says very little. So I was wondering, did they only make a few of the English/American versions for Pokemon green? Or? Because I have one... And if it is worth a bit of money then I would sell it because I need funds to help pay for my brothers operation. So if anyone could please tell me the worth and value of this game or any comments or theories that are relevant could you please tell me!

Thank you so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back