• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Have you found any shinies in 3rd gen?

Odie

Indigo League Champ
Years
In Leaf Green I found a shiny Pidgeotto in the Berry Forest. Caught and trained it to a Pidgeot. I lost the game a few years ago though.
In Fire Red I have caught a shiny Rattata which I later traded and a shiny Magikarp which I raised into a Gyarados.
In Emerald I found a shiny Shroomish but never caught it as I didn't have any Poke Balls.
I haven't had much luck with shinies, although I could just be forgetting a lot.

Years
In Sapphire I got a shiny Spinda. I didn't even know about shinys at the time; I just caught it because it looked different. It sat in the PC forever after that.

mrpopo1701

Josh Varela
Years
I was so mad when i found my first shiny ever in emerald. I found a pink houndour in the safari after i beat the game and it ran away after i threw one pokeball and missed. That houndour will forever haunt me, taunting me, pink houndour...

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I didn't know what shinies were until gen 4. But I did in the end have one. It was a shiny nincada from my first playthough of Ruby. I never thought much about it since I didn't know what they were. I only now that that the nincada was shiny was because I had the Shedinja from the playthrough. The shedinja is currently in my Not for trade box in X and I only realised now it was shiny because of the red star.

I always thought that my first shiny was a bellossom on the GTS in Diamond, after all this time, I knwo that that I was wrong.

Braxien

Banned
Years
I managed to catch a Shiny Zangoose in my Pokémon Emerald save file, as well as a Shiny Pidgey.

335.png

016.png

encas

Don't tread on me.
Years
Over the years, I've seen plenty of shinies in the 3rd Gen games. Except for a Nidoran female and an Exeggcute in Leaf Green's Safari Zone, I have managed to catch each of those encounters. For sanity's sake, I'll just count the catches I still have:

-a shiny Pikachu in Emerald's Safari Zone (I evolved her into Raichu and transferred her all the way over to Y)
-a shiny Nidoran female in Leaf Green's Safari Zone (this is a different encounter in a separate, much later file)
-a shiny Nidorina in Leaf Green's Safari Zone (in the same file as my second Nidoran female; I ended up transferring this one to 5th gen and trading her)
-a shiny Ponyta found on Mt. Ember in Leaf Green (I traded this one over GTS Negotiations when trying to complete my Pokedex in White 2, as well)
-a shiny Dewgong found in the Seafoam Islands in Fire Red (this one is still in Fire Red)
-a shiny Moltres in Fire Red (caught in the same save as Dewgong, and still in Fire Red)

Whew! :D

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
My first wild shiny (aside from GSC's Red Gyarados, and my Red Version Blastoise which had the right IVs to appear shiny in GSC/Stadium 2) was a shiny Spinda when EV training in Sapphire. Not the most exciting shiny, to say the least. I also found a shiny Nincada in Emerald, only a few hours into my game. I haven't trained it at all, but I'm excited that I'll essentially get two shinies for the price of one (Ninjask and Shedinja).

Somewhat surprisingly, LeafGreen, which I put the most hours into, never produced any shinies. The same trend held for me in gen 2 as well (no shinies on Gold, my main game, but multiple shinies on a throwaway playthrough of Silver).

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
Years
I have still never encountered a shiny in any of the gens, but one time when a friend was playing, she found a shiny Poochyena and killed it because she thought it looked weird. xDD Mind you, we were in the third grade...

Years
  • Age 74
  • Seen Mar 23, 2015
I have three shinies, two of are tentacools. lol The third I had to farm for, a shiny Charmander. Oh Yeah!!

Years
I was searching for a Jigglypuff (in the wrong place naturally) in my FireRed version and found an orange-ish Gloom. I caught it and haven't done anything with it. I suppose I can get a pretty colored Vileplume out of it...

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
My first shiny found was while I was awakening the Regis. Surfing and diving around led to a shiny Tentacool. You know what happened? I didn't have any Pokeballs. That was the first shiny I ever found too. You can imagine the vehement rage I had...

Second one I found was a shiny Ledyba. In the Safari Zone. Talk about making a hard encounter even harder. Somehow by an unbelievable amount of sheer luck I caught it.

What's funny is the last shiny I ever found was (I know this is Advance forum but I gotta say this) in Pokemon SS in THE SAFARI ZONE. AGAIN. A shiny Gloom, if you will. And yet again, I somehow caught that as well without it fleeing from me.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
Years
Ara, ara..Shiny Pokemon?! I caught one before, when i was fishing. I was hoping corphish to pop out but i bump into a shiny tentacool. Herrrr~

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2024
I was hatching Pokemon to recreate the Pokemon used in the advanced season and hatched a shiny Torchic that I leveled up to 100 and kept as a Combusken because I never thought May's Torchic would become a Blaziken. I didn't notice it was a shiny until I transferred it from my copy of Sapphire to Soulsilver.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
I don't think I've ever even seen a shiny in gen 3 let alone caught one. I think it's the only get where that's the case too, well apart from gen 1 of course. I've haven't caught a shiny in gen 2 either (well apart from the Gyarados), but I did kill a shiny Sandshrew once, before I really understood what a shiny was and how rare they were.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
found a shiny raticate on cycling road in FireRed and a shiny graveler in the magma base in emerald.
the graveler blew up however....>:(

Years
The only shiny I've found in Gen III would be a shiny Spearow in LeafGreen. Unfortunately it was a friend's save file which he deleted and started again after saying he would trade it to me.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
I Have never gotten a shiny before and been playing since Red and Blue

Back