• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What do you miss about Generation V?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jul 3, 2015
i miss victini i think. but they should have made it an actual part of the game storyline.

Years
Another thing I'll miss is the Free Space section in your bag. You could put your utmost important regular and key items in there, so it's convenient and quick to access, just in case you already had something toggled for your use item button or something.

I think the Free Space was one of the features in B2/W2 I used quite often so yeah it was kinda baffling it didn't get carried over to X/Y. It made looking for your most used items much easier.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I'm still finishing Black2/White2 so not much, but I really miss the Dream World so much! I know there's a lot of people who hated it for not being on the DS and the time limit, but I thought it was really fun! I miss going into the Entralink and retrieving the Pokemon I got. I miss the mini games and special Dream World events and the special Dream World abilities too. I also miss Hidden Grottos , which I found nice to explore and made getting Hidden Ability Pokemon easier to obtain. I miss the shaking grass which had Audino in it, making gaining so simple. Now Audino only appear at Route 6 and they're levels 10-12 meaning they're only good for Pokemon in the level 10- 20 range. And Free Space too. I wish they brought that back cause having that extra space for whatever you wanted really was useful sometimes.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 7, 2014
What i really liked about gen V is that it tried to be different from previous ones. A good story (which in the end did fall short), tried to have good villains (though the motives were mediocre at best) and the pokemon were mostly forgetable.

So i don't think i will miss anything of this gen. Gen VI was better in my opinion

Misaka

Yokoso
Years
Basically... everything. I LOVED Black and White. They are one of my favorite Pokemon game series ever (the other being HGSS).

If I had to choose one thing that I miss the most, I would have to say the story. I thought BW had an amazing storyline. XY just didn't have an effective story like BW did.

Peter Quill

Star-Lord, Legendary Outlaw
Years
I miss a lot about Generation V. The animated sprites had a charm of their own, and it's sad that it was short-lived because of the shift to 3D models. Black/White had a somewhat moral ambiguous plot and I liked that (at least that's how I saw it).
I was also forced able to use some new Pokemon because of the lack of older Gen mons.
I also liked Dream World a lot. It's one of the features that I've used for quite a while. I still have DW mons on my Entralink. Couldn't seem to let them be trapped in Pokeballs >w<
I miss the Free Space section of the bag in BW2.
I also miss Join Avenue. That feature alone literally extended my playthrough's game time more than I expected.
I also miss the shaking grass mechanic.

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
The graphics. Ive already ranted enough on why X & Y graphics suck, and why Black and White struck a perfect balance between 3D and normal Pokemon graphics.
Also, loved the new pokemon, theyre the best weve gotten in a while, and much better than X & Y. Honestly, these games in there entirety, are much better than X & Y.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
I found the ending in B/W to be epic. I'm not really sure how I would explain it into words, though. ~_~
The music at the end added a lot to the atmosphere is one of the things I could say about it, however.

Braxien

Banned
Years
I miss Team Plasma, especially in the sequel of Pokémon Black/White. They were badass and the storyline was fantastic.

Years
I really miss the music, the great pacing of the story in Black and White 1 (it never really has a dull moment, in my opinion), the inclusion of only brand new Pokemon in the first title, and, above all else, the epic climax at the end of B/W.
Black and White 2, I didn't miss quite as much, but I loved the PWT and the sheer amount of stuff to do post game.

GoldfishHorde

Whoa! A horde of Goldfish appeared!
Years
I really liked how Gen 5 animated all the Pokemon sprites. The way Gen 6 animated the Pokemon in battle kinda felt meh to me, as if they were just...there. Nothing to do but just stand there idly. I dunno, am I the only one who thinks this?

Also, Pokestar Studios. SO MUCH FUN. If it is brought back, I would love to be able to use your own Pokemon instead of rental Pokemon.

.Missingno

Viridian City Gym Leader
Years
I have to agree I also miss the music and speed of things it also seemed as if it took longer than Gen 4 to complete which was definitely a plus!

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
I'm sure these have been mentioned somewhere in this thread, and that we will have comparable content in ORAS - but easily the top things I miss for gen 5, are White Tree Hollow / Black Tower, The PWT, and Join Avenue. Those all gave you such utility, and post game replay value- there's some of that in x/y just not as much.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I love the soundtrack, definitely. I downloaded a lot of the songs onto my computer, which is something I do not usually do with Pokemon music. I also really loved the seasons feature, and how they used it to create puzzles. I also really liked the battle sprites as opposed to 3D models. I don't really know why.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
One thing specific to Black and White: How easy it is to be completely over-levelled between Nacrene City and Opelucid City. For example now i have two gym bages, currently chasing Team Plasma through the forest. In my party I have lv.18, lv.19, two lv.20 pokémon and a lv.16 pokémon deposited in Daycare. I find it really easy to keep up them high levels and whilst it makes trainer battles kinda boring, some gym leaders are still hard (electricity anyone?), and provided I stick to 6 pokémon for Drayden's Gym and beyond I don't become too much stronger/weaker than Ghetsis. With 151 new pokémon, using about 10 as part of my team at different points, not just as HM slaves, helped get used to it even faster :)

Also, although I haven't played B2W2 or beyond so maybe they're not as good...Team Plasma. They're the most interesting team there is (or more accurately N is just the most complex character in pokémon), and it really makes Magma/Aqua/Galactic sound like a bunch of maniacs and Rocket look just unimaginative in their goals.

That you battle N in place of the usual Champion battle after the Elite Four was really cool - I liked how the climax of the story didn't happen after badge No. 7 like usual, having to trek all the way through victory road and the elite four to reach the boss seemed a lot more worthwhile than destroying a load of grunts in a secret base. Plus, it's the only game that actually offers an explanation for the Champion reclaiming their spot - they don't spell it out, but whilst N beat Alder and you beat N, N didn't actually have the gym badges I don't think, so thus didn't count. Therefore you don't become Champion like when you defeat Blue, instead Alder regains his position, trains heavily after being walked over by a Dragon your character and N can easily capture and command, and thus presents a formidable challenge post-game.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
What I miss most about Gen V is the story. While its not writing gold, this Gen has the best stories of any Pokemon game I've ever played. It's too bad they didn't make X/Y's story all that good. I also miss PokeStar Studios. Love that ♥♥♥♥. They really need to include that in future games.

But hey, this is why you keep your Black/White/Black 2/White 2 around.....

Years
I *just* finished White 2 for the first time (well, at least defeated the Elite Four.) So I guess I can't technically post here, but I'll say I loved how polished it felt and the amount of features it has compared to the older generations, like the Join Avenue, Pokemon World Tournament and the Pokestar Studio. It felt like a very complete game and the story was a little more in-depth then I was expecting for a Pokemon game, which was a refreshing change. I played White/Black 1 a long while ago, but I enjoyed its story too.

I'm also pretty overwhelmed by the amount of post-game content available in White 2, its very nice. I'd say Black/White 2 is probably the best generation I've played. I'm a little worried about when I start X/Y this week because I keep hearing post-game content is dismal and that is something I really value.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
Animated sprites.

While I didn't have any 5th Gen games when it was new (I only bought White last week), I saw what the animated sprites were like through simulators like Pokemon Showdown. They looked really well made in my opinion, and just as I was getting used to them, X/Y came around with full 3D models instead. I miss those sprites, since they're something I grew really attached to, so it was saddening to see them go. Let alone animated sprites, which somewhat showcase what a Pokemon does in wait for a command.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
I don't really miss anything from Gen 5 except for Audino grinding

Back