• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

No more new pokémon?

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
There were much fewer completely new pokémon introduced in the Kalos games than the previous generations. All in all there are at least 719 existing species of pokémon now, it's frankly amazing if we manage to remember all their names imo.

Do you think we will see more new pokémon in the future, or that what Kalos started might become the norm for future generations? That we will get less and less new pokémon?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's very hard to tell, really. While Kalos hadn't given us much new Pokémon, they were still quite busy perfecting their mega-evolutions system and coming up with designs. While mega-forms are just basically... well, forms, they still do have different appearance, and for some, they could be seen as some new Pokémon as a whole. To me, though, they're not (their still relatively same, aside from looks and stats), but they do count for something.

Will this how the pace will be for future gens? It's kind of hard to tell. If they're aiming to give us more megas in generation seven, I don't believe they'll be putting much effort into new Pokémon. If it's vice-versa, then yes, they most likely will.

Personally, I'd like them to keep it all slow, like how it is now. There are a lot of Pokémon out there, and the more you add, the tougher it becomes when you're trying to complete your PokéDex. Although it isn't mandatory, some do attempt nonetheless, and because of quantity, many of them lose motivation mid-way through and quit. If it weren't for that, a wider range of people would've been successful, I'm sure.

Years
This is too popular to stop. I think there will be new gens, maybe just not so much new Pokemon with every gen.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Personally, I'd like them to keep it all slow, like how it is now. There are a lot of Pokémon out there, and the more you add, the tougher it becomes when you're trying to complete your PokéDex. Although it isn't mandatory, some do attempt nonetheless, and because of quantity, many of them lose motivation mid-way through and quit. If it weren't for that, a wider range of people would've been successful, I'm sure.

I personally enjoy the challenge of filling it up. It's a completely optional thing, and if people give up, they give up. They'll still complete the game, trade Pokémon and have battles. In fact, I think the idea of finding a Pokémon that you never thought would be viable for a metagame battle, breeding it and raising it keeps things interesting.

All in all, whether they release new ones or not, the game will always have new stuff to keep it interesting.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
Didn't we think this back with DPPt? "Guys we have Arceus now, what else is there?" Then Gen 5 came along with the most ever, if I recall correctly. x_o

I doubt they'll keep any pattern going. Some will be small, others can still manage to be huge. We'll accomodate and adjust, as we always have.

As long as Ken Sugimori continues to draw, I have faith.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
There's no way to tell what Game Freak's gonna do about this, but it wouldn't bother me if we keep getting relatively small numbers of Pokemon each generation. It's a quality over quantity thing for me.

Not to mention that if Pokemon continues for another 20 years and we get 150ish new Pokemon every four or so years, we'd have something like..... 1470-something Pokemon in total. That....is a lot to remember. I mean, can you even imagine that many? I'm not sure my 41 year old brain could handle that.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I agree that we have a ton of pokémon now, but what if Game Freak decides to base a region off of... Madagascar... or someplace that would have vastly different fauna?

Guest123_x1

Given that GameFreak has covered so many bases with each of the past generations and the Pokémon they introduced, I can kind of see why there were so few new Pokémon introduced for Gen. VI. Since they introduced a whopping 156 new ones for Gen V (that's more than there were for the first Generation), they probably had no realistic choice but to slow down the Pokémon introductions.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
We already know there will be more pokemon with the Strange Souvenir thing. Not to mention, I think the games would die if their were no more pokemon. Not to mention we now have a new type which opens up a lot of new ideas. And heck, there could be another 9 Eeveelutions.

Also, if you take away all the evolutions we got in Sinnoh, there was only around 70. The consider Mega new pokemon, therefore, there was not as many actual new pokemon. I myself probably could easily come up with at least 200 unique pokemon within a month.

One idea I like is a wreath pokemon that is Ice/Fairy (This could also be Grass/Fairy, but I like Ice :p That would be awesome. Now that they have made another holiday like pokemon. That is off topic, sorry about that.

Last edited:

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
Years
I don't think they're gonna slow down. The franchise would die off if new Pokemon weren't a priority. Otherwise they would be appealing only to die hard Pokemon fanatics, retro players, and people like myself (read signature). They are going to have to make new ones, it brings a fresh approach that new players can feel excited about.

Newer Pokemon will continue to exist, even with evolutions filling up most of the Pokedex. That's my opinion.

Years
I hope that the days of 100+ new Pokemon per region are over, as I felt that Kalos gave us more than enough new Pokemon to deal with without being overwhelming. Now, I can't say as I think that the number will continue to decline, but 50-75 new Pokemon for each new region (plus any additions like Mega Evolutions) seems about right. Plus, with the introduction of 3D models in the games rather than sprites, I wouldn't think they'd want to add in too many more than that.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
As Endless mentioned, I think it was mainly because of the introduction of Mega Evolutions that lowered the number of new Pokemon so much, though personally, I wouldn't mind at all if they introduce fewer in every new game. Not a "genwunner", but I did notice I was more excited to see familiar faces than new ones as I played X, and I didn't use too many of the new Pokemon anyway.

AmyTheOddball

Aspiring Author
Years
Well, the Kalos region gave us 69 new Pokemon. Or 72...one of those numbers. I wasn't bothered by the lack of new Pokemon because the idea of Mega Evolution kept me at bay aha. I predict in the next generations that there will always be under 100 new Pokemon :3

Back