• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misheard Lyrics

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Ever listen to a song thinking the lyrics were one thing, only to find out later you were horribly wrong? Was it a funny mistake, or did it completely change what you thought the song was about?

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Most fast-paced Lady Gaga songs and a lot of Lana Del Rey's discography I've gotten tons of lyrics all a mess, such as nearly all of Bad Romance and the second verse of Marry the Night. It's crazy, really. Oh, and all of Yayo by the latter; I had no idea what she would say so I would just sing gibberish since that what it sounded like. XD; one of my friends thought the chorus to "Monster" by Rihanna/Eminem read "I'm friends with the monster, the sun of my bed" which was rather embarrassing lol

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
White noise made much more sense to me when I thought it was white boys instead. The context just fit, you know? A girl singung about her boy toys, not about romantic confusion.

Years
"We rub a mexican monkey" - I don't have to say what is that song.
"You pour your sausage to my wounds" instead of "You pour your salt into my wounds" in BMFV song "Tears don't fall part 2"

Shiny Bunnelby

Tolerated, but never celebrated.
Years
What's Up by 4 Non Blondes, or (somewhat) recently the popular He Man video What's Going On, has the line "...scream at the top of my lungs..."

I heard, "Strip a taco, my lord!"

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Blurred Lines
"baby can you breath a cactus from Jamaica"
I used to sing this. I was so embarrassed to learn that I got it so wrong.

Guest123_x1

There are so many songs that I've misheard lyrics to, often leading me to misinterpret the meaning, or making me think that the lyrics don't make any sense. Mostly, it's certain words that I hear that I think are something completely different from what they actually are.
As an example, in Three Dog Night's Joy To The World, I thought it went "Joy to the fishes in the deeper sea!" (It's actually "deep blue sea"). I'm not kidding on this one either.
Even today, I still will mishear lyrics, particularly on songs that I've never heard before.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Yeah, back in the day I specifically remember how I misheard the lyrics from one of David Archuleta's songs, Crush. I always thought he said "Like a stick of gum". And in 30 Seconds to Mars The Kill, I always thought it was "Marry Me" not "Bury Me". xD

Years
Yeah, back in the day I specifically remember how I misheard the lyrics from one of David Archuleta's songs, Crush. I always thought he said "Like a stick of gum". And in 30 Seconds to Mars The Kill, I always thought it was "Marry Me" not "Bury Me". xD

Oh God it's "Bury Me"?! The sudden realization after so many years... :O

Blake Belladonna

*insert fancy usertitle here*
Years
On the first listens of many songs, I will often mishear the lyrics sometimes in an absolutely funny way or in a way that makes the rest of the song sound totally bizarre. For instance, I heard "There's a possibility" in Lykke Li's Possibility as "There's a possum in my tea." And I often mishear "proud" as "prayer" in CVRCHES' hit single. That's all I can think of atm XD;

The Serious Table

Can't touch this
Years
"I like big butts in a can of limes!" Apparently I'm not the only one who heard this "lyric" in the hit song -Baby got Back- XD. One of my favorite stupid songs from my life, and also my favorite misheard lyric.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
Years
And in 30 Seconds to Mars The Kill, I always thought it was "Marry Me" not "Bury Me". xD

I had a coworker who told me this one. I never had that confusion because one of the versions was labeled "The Kill (Bury Me)" and it just never struck me as Marry Me in the first place. Just funny that others noticed that.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
Florence and the Machine's "Sweet Nothing". I still frequently hear it as "I'm livin' on sexy broadband/gherkin" as opposed to "Living on such sweet nothing".

Most of Panic at the Disco and Fall Out Boy's songs would be frequently quoted as wrong too when I was singing along :P

A friend of mine believed that the theme for Digimon said "Digimon Garlic Champions" when we were younger :P

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
Years
Nirvana- Frances Farmes Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle, I allways hear "I miss the comfort of being sane" its actually "I miss the comfort of being sad"

Back