• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Recruiting Pokemon

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
The hack that I've just started working on has a Pokemon main character. During the course of the main game, you won't be able to catch Pokemon, but I think it would be nice if that option was given to you after the main game is complete.

However, there is a slight problem. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. One option is to have the domestic Pokemon main character toss a pokeball and just catch the Pokemon. This is a world where the domestic Pokemon are pretty much humans, but it would seem a little weird. Pokemon catching Pokemon sounds really strange, like if a dog bought another dog at the pet store.

So I present this dilemma to the public here at Pokecommunity. Can you think of a better idea, and if so, how would I go about setting it up. The game I'm hacking is Fire Red, if that is helpful at all.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I've actually considered something like this. I always thought a good way to do it would be Shin Megami Tensei-style. If you're not familiar, in SMT there's a system where you recruit demons by talking to them, essentially persuading them to join you.

If it's possible, I'm not really sure.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 19, 2018
Well, it sounds a bit like Mystery Dungeon, so you could go with their solution? Your player character can ask the Pokemon to join them on their quest rather than "capturing" them, because I agree, that's a bit odd.

As far as the mechanics themselves go, perhaps you could rename the different kinds of Pokeballs into different "gifts" that you can give to convince them to join you? There are a lot of different things you could do with this.

I think it's a neat concept! I'd definitely give it a try once it's completed. :) Good luck to you!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 23, 2019
I also think it's a very net idea! I'd love if you updated us with the progress you've made on your project.

But yeah, following a mystery dungeon-like route is probably a better course to take since using pokeballs when you yourself as a pokemon just seems a little weird. You could go the pokemon conquest route and have only certain pokemon join with you through a story mode -esque style, or maybe have a place in the, lets say main town hub place, where you can enlist pokemon to be at your side?

Years
Well, the main Pokémon could be caring a little bag with PokéBalls inside, and while he traveled, the other Pokémons rested in their PokéBalls
Of course they would come out of their PokéBalls on important scripts

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
I think I figured out what I would go with. I would change the Pokeball sprites to different food/magic items. Once the main game is done, a special shop would open up where these items could be purchased. The idea is, instead of using a Pokeball like the humans do, you would try to convince them to join you by giving a gift/using a spell.

This works because in this world using a Pokeball is essentially trying to persuade a Pokemon to become domestic and either live with the human or live in the reserve (the PC). This would only be available after the main game because it's required for the storyline to have the special characters be with you.

The PC would be blocked off, because of a glitch, which they can't work out until after you beat the game.

I think I would also have it so that later, after you beat the game, you can go back and recruit all the bosses (like in mystery dungeon). It would be like having another special character.

Thanks for the ideas guys! I'll definitely be sure to keep you updated on the progress. The game is going to be called Jykotia (pronounced Jih-ko-tee-ah). It's my second hack, and it's going to be more focused on the storyline. (I never posted the first one. I didn't think it was developed enough. The other one was more focused on exploring the world and catching all 386 Pokemon. I also never posted it because I could never finish it.)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 7, 2016
The hack that I've just started working on has a Pokemon main character. During the course of the main game, you won't be able to catch Pokemon, but I think it would be nice if that option was given to you after the main game is complete.

However, there is a slight problem. I'm not entirely sure how to go about this. One option is to have the domestic Pokemon main character toss a pokeball and just catch the Pokemon. This is a world where the domestic Pokemon are pretty much humans, but it would seem a little weird. Pokemon catching Pokemon sounds really strange, like if a dog bought another dog at the pet store.

So I present this dilemma to the public here at Pokecommunity. Can you think of a better idea, and if so, how would I go about setting it up. The game I'm hacking is Fire Red, if that is helpful at all.

Dog buying another dog XD

These are my ideas for my own pmd hack, but feel free to use them :)
Don't need credit, but it would be appreciated.

You could just have a whole lot of pokemon to recruit. (with the givepokemon script) You know, for variety in gameplay. Maybe some will join as soon as you talk to them. Maybe some will join on the main storyline. Or after sidequest.
Only 6 pokemon can be on your team? No problem. Just use and rename the pc storage something like "Team assembly" "Friend areas" or "Team members".

Or just make a daycare-like script where they temp leave your party but talk to them again and they come back into your team (but I'm not a master scripter so no for me on that XD)

Or....simply change the pokeball to an explorer badge sprite? Lol throw a badge at a pokemon and they join your team. Logicks. (Not actually going to use this for my hack lol.)

Back