• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Time Management

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
With many of you going back to school, I thought this would be a pretty good thread idea!

So, when there's stuff to do in the day, how do you manage your time to write? Does writing take priority over a lot of things, or does it more fall off into the background? How do you find time to write when you're really busy, if you do at all?

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I'm homeschooled, so my schedule is very different from most people's schedules. That being said, when I'm incredibly busy generally what I do is just wait until I'm at my wit's end from stress and the only way to feel better is to write. I find that when I'm busy with work, I actually need to want to write to get any writing done.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
With many of you going back to school, I thought this would be a pretty good thread idea!

So, when there's stuff to do in the day, how do you manage your time to write? Does writing take priority over a lot of things, or does it more fall off into the background? How do you find time to write when you're really busy, if you do at all?
I try to, when I'm not overloaded, to set some time a week aside on my train trips. I live a while away from my uni so I have a good amount of time atm to use on those trips. Even if I don't do much, every little bit counts, and often just toying with how to progress or reading over a previous part helps.

But this doesn't happen all the time; if I have other things to deal with (like an assignment, or tutoring notes to read) then they get priority on the trip. And other times I'll be with a friend or just want to read or play something on my 3D instead of write.

Nighttime writing when I don't have other things to do/want to do also happens as well.

It does vary. Upon finishing a year of uni and approaching the end of my first fic, I made an aim with my free time to try and write either a page or half an hour of planning/writing of my fic each day, and it proved useful in getting everything wrapped up before the next uni year started.

Years
I spend my school day thinking of things to write, and the six/four hours at home before I go to bed getting it all on MS Word. Weekends I get more time to just write off the top of my head.

Bay

Years
Back when I was in university I actually got the first draft of my chaptered fic finished, but it took a while to edit each chapter. School, part time job, and real life took priority first, but I was able to set aside some time on the weekend for edits and a few one shots here and there.

After I finished university still busy with real life stuff, but I usually set aside maybe an hour or two in the evening to do planning/writing/editing whenever I can. A lot are short fics so they're usually finished fast, but I wrote a few short chaptered fics for writing challenges that lasted a few months.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I really don't prioritize writing these days :x but I've been thinking that I should set aside an hour or so every day for that, at least when I don't have uni related things to do, or chores etc :3

Back