• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Building a computer

The_Buddha_Wolf

Buger King Manager (Not really)
Years
I am just getting into PC games and before I was just into games on my Xbox, PS4, and 3DS. Now I want to get parts online and then build it with my uncle or dad (They both build stuff). I want a good computer because I want to make a lot of ROM hacks, play games, download a lot of music and audiobooks to Itunes, writing a lot of stories (Since writing will be my profession), and watch videos on YouTube, Netflix, and Crunchyroll. I want to know what would be the best parts for me to use?

Radioactive

I'm a really good boy
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2014
Hm. Well, for your purposes, I'd suggest an Intel Core i3 of the Haswell generation, a small SSD to boot from and a large HDD for storage. Integrated graphics should suffice so there's no need for a discrete GPU, and personally I like the cases to be as small as possible (it's a preference) but a mid-tower ATX would work just as well.

How does this build look to you? I tried to not get too specific and chose ATX for simplicity, and left out the monitor since it's a rather personal choice compared to other parts. If you don't already have peripherals and aren't too picky with them, this wireless keyboard + mouse set will work well enough.

It's also just below the cusp of $700, which IMO is pretty good for the stuff it has. I've made cheaper, but those are really circumstantial and require extensive price watching.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
I am just getting into PC games and before I was just into games on my Xbox, PS4, and 3DS.
I want a good computer because I want to make a lot of ROM hacks, play games, download a lot of music and audiobooks to Itunes, writing a lot of stories (Since writing will be my profession), and watch videos on YouTube, Netflix, and Crunchyroll. I want to know what would be the best parts for me to use?

Hm. Well, for your purposes, I'd suggest an Intel Core i3 of the Haswell generation, a small SSD to boot from and a large HDD for storage. Integrated graphics should suffice so there's no need for a discrete GPU

I am confused, someone please clue me in, lol.
Integrated graphics and an i3 for PC games? Not to come off as a jerk - especially since OP didn't really explain if that's limited to ROMs - but did I blink and miss something? I mean, maybe if they're only looking to play something like Unturned. Or if it really is only down to running ROMs, since I think even my laptop's integrated card could run those.

So on that note: OP, the games you intend to run on it are going to be one of your main factors on your video card... and if you really need one at all, lol. Some clarification on what you own and/or want to be able to play on it would help a bit in that regard.

More or less agree on the i3, though an i5 would probably be a better option; again, that's depending on what you're looking to run. Other than that, I do agree with Radioactive. Most of your main purposes do seem to be pretty simple for the average build, and most of that would really just need a large HDD for storage and an SSD to boot would be nice, as previously mentioned. And a good solid 8GB of RAM.

Radioactive

I'm a really good boy
Years
  • Seen Sep 22, 2014
I am confused, someone please clue me in, lol.
Integrated graphics and an i3 for PC games? Not to come off as a jerk - especially since OP didn't really explain if that's limited to ROMs - but did I blink and miss something? I mean, maybe if they're only looking to play something like Unturned. Or if it really is only down to running ROMs, since I think even my laptop's integrated card could run those.

So on that note: OP, the games you intend to run on it are going to be one of your main factors on your video card... and if you really need one at all, lol. Some clarification on what you own and/or want to be able to play on it would help a bit in that regard.

More or less agree on the i3, though an i5 would probably be a better option; again, that's depending on what you're looking to run. Other than that, I do agree with Radioactive. Most of your main purposes do seem to be pretty simple for the average build, and most of that would really just need a large HDD for storage and an SSD to boot would be nice, as previously mentioned. And a good solid 8GB of RAM.
Well, I noticed he emphasized needs for storage moreso than graphics capabilities so I took it best I could. If he's going to be gaming extensively a mid-range discrete GPU would be good to have… personally I've run quite a bit on integrated stuff before without running into any unplayability. You can even get away with games as new as RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and AoEII:HD from Steam in my experience. 3D modelling is going to beg for a card though. I'm more of a retro gamer anyway so idc :p

Don't worry too much about it. It's good you pointed it out as the OP now has a clear distinction regarding what gaming he's going to do that I sort of overlooked. :P

Oh, by the way OP, unless you're doing media rendering with programs like Sony Vegas or Photoshop, for the foreseeable future you'll never need more than 8 gigs of RAM. Also, as far as operating systems go, always go for the 64-bit if it's available. :p

The_Buddha_Wolf

Years
Sorry that I forgot what games I will play and ROM hacks that I will be making.

Games I will be playing:

RuneScape
Diablo 3
Garry's Mod
Dungeons and Dragons Online
War of Legends
Ultima Underworld 2
Deus Ex
Multiple ROM hacks

And a few others

ROM hacks that I will make

Pokemon Emerald & Sgt. Frog Crossover
Pokemon Emerald & Heaven's Lost Property Crossover
Pokemon Emerald & Marvel Comics Crossover
Pokemon Emerald - The Life Of A Paper Boy
Pokemon Heart Gold - This Halloween
Pokemon Heart Gold & Sword Art Online Crossover
Pokemon Heart Gold & The Walking Dead Crossover

(Thats most of the ones I came up with already)

Also I will be using Photoshop and Sony Vegas, as I am a photographer and a vlogger.

Dustmop

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
Diablo 3, as far as I know, is the most resource-hoggy of that list. (And that's assuming that by Deus Ex you specifically mean the first one, not HR from 2013. Now that would require a good card, haha.)
For D3 alone you'll likely want more than the onboard graphics. Clicky here for some neat bar graphs.
I used the i5-3330 as an example because it's what I put in my friend's "budget" gaming build, and it only comes with Intel HD 2500. I redid it with an i3 that has HD 4400 graphics, and it's just barely below 50% with a 4/10 rating.

In other words, if you go with the onboard graphics, you'd be able to sort of run D3.. but you'd be running it on the absolute lowest, minimum settings, and 30 FPS. Probably still with the occasional stutter/lag. As noted below, that doesn't mean it would be completely unplayable, but it definitely wouldn't be the best experience.

Even, say, a GTX 460 would be more than sufficient, but finding one that's not used from ebay would be a problem... Correct me if I'm wrong here, but any mid-range-ish card is going to run you about $100, give or take $20, so even grabbing a cheap-ish GTX 650 (such as this one, perhaps, to give you an idea) wouldn't be a bad idea in the long run. And the 1GB of VRAM it has seems to be a good thing for Sony Vegas, though I've never used the program, myself. Just going off the system requirements page.
Unless somebody else has a better suggestion, of course. By no means am I an expert, haha. And I know I can tend to over-shoot sometimes -- I prefer having some room to expand later on.
1.%20smile.gif

personally I've run quite a bit on integrated stuff before without running into any unplayability. You can even get away with games as new as RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 and AoEII:HD from Steam in my experience.

Oh, no, trust me, I know integrated graphics can run some surprising things. Nice things, even. My laptop only has Intel HD 4000 because my switchable graphics card doesn't work, so you can imagine how stoked I was that Sims 3 and Bastion ran at all on my craptop. Unfortunately, it didn't come without an awful lot of lag. Obviously, more-so for The Sims, but even Bastion lags and it doesn't need much to run. :c

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
You could also try to get a semi-decent graphics card of the current generation. Any relatively modern graphics card in the $100 new range should be more than enough for playing what you want to play, and anything you want to play in the near future.

The_Buddha_Wolf

Years
I think it would be more convenient for some people to just fill in the list below.

CPU:
CPU Cooler:
Motherboard:
Memory:
Storage:
Video Card:
Case:
Power Supply:
Optical Supply:
Optical Drive:

Years
When it comes to building a PC, having others list off parts can tend to be a little too specific. Surely, we can list exact makes and models to recommend for the parts, but really the freedom with building a PC means it should all be up to you, and based around what you intend to use the computer for. I cannot stress enough that a person should only get what they need, because paying for things you don't need and/or things you need for future use that you may have needed and didn't get originally can both wind up costing you a lot of money.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I recommend you look into resources like www.pcpartpicker.com as well as the Reddit community www.reddit.com/r/buildapc

That Reddit page has a sidebar off to the right side which has a ton of community-voted top resources and other great help in the form of users replying to other users who have questions very similar to yours! I don't feel comfortable literally listing off parts for you to use but I can tell you this: It sounds like you don't want much of a high-power gaming machine? What kind of games are you looking to play? If I were you, I would spend the most money on my processor and motherboard. Get an i5 or i7, they make several different kinds of both of those and each serve their own purpose. I have an i5-3770 I thiiiink. It meets my requirements for gaming just fine. By now, you'll be able to get i5-4XXX which is great, Haswell is an amazing line of processors, and they have been around for over a year so you'll get them for a good price. Motherboards are tricky and I don't know much about them, can't help you. Don't spend a ton on RAM. You will be just fine with 8GB, even 6GB. Don't get less than 4GB, though. For hard drive space, I strongly recommend getting a 120GB+ Solid State Disk drive as your boot drive. It pays for itself literally within seconds of turning on your computer. If you can afford it, buy yourself a secondary HDD to act as storage memory. Video cards are also very dependent on why you're using them. Again, most of your hobbies and activities do not specify what games, only that you'll be playing them. I don't mean to dismiss your desire to game, but it does not sound like you will be doing any hardcore (or GPU-intensive) gaming. With that in mind, don't buy something top-of-the-line. When you've got money to spare and an ego to stroke amongst the builder community, then you can do it. For now, buy something cheap and durable. I quite like the GeForce line. I use GeForce 650 Ti. My decision was based on the amount of VRAM GB it had. It meets my needs very much and I spend my time doing similar activities as you would: I play games such as Civilization V, The Sims 4, Team Fortress 2, and other indie games like Papers, Please. I spend a LOT of time on YouTube, Netflix, Grooveshark. My Microsoft Word opens in a matter of seconds (Solid State, baby!) and I use processor-intensive applications like Photoshop, Premiere and Pro Tools which run smooth as butter (processor and solid state drive allow for that).

Quick edit: You seem super keen on ROM hacks (which I totally support, good for you bud! make 'em great!) and you'll be happy to know that most ROM Hacking software is not at all GPU-, processor-, or RAM-intensive. If the popular software of today is still at all similar to the way popular ROM hack software was back in my day, you won't have any problem running any of the applications. Just build with your gaming in mind and I promise you'll find ROM hacking to be a breeze, as far as running the apps goes. The technical and creative side is all you, baby! :)

In the end it's all up to you. But if there's one thing I can absolutely, undoubtedly, 100% without hesitation recommend is that you DON'T dismiss Solid State Drives. They are incredible. You'll never want to use an HDD boot drive computer ever again.

PC building is so much fun and I want you to have the easiest, most stress-free experience with it, because it is very stressful for a first-timer. The amount of money you sink into it hoping it doesn't collapse the first few days is nothing to joke about. Here's my build, if you're interested:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Dustmop

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 27, 2022
I have to second what the others said -- giving you a specific parts list takes away from some of the fun of doing it!
Though it sounds more like you're just having trouble with the compatibility of parts? I know that can be a little daunting first time around, and it was the reason I just asked people to pick my first mobo and PSU size for me. I chose everything else, but I didn't want to put my trust in pcpartpicker to make sure they were compatible for me.

So while I agree that you should do some first-hand research on it for the first build -- I'll still toss in some of my recommendations along with some explanation. :)

Spoiler:

I think that's about everything I have to offer. =p

Blu·Ray

Manta Ray Pokémon
Years
If you're looking to build a gaming PC and just want a general direction to go, I can recommend looking on http://www.logicalincrements.com/ This website lists different build incrementally, i.e. you can look at the budget you're aiming for and see what kind of parts you would be looking at. Obviously you don't just pick one of these and go for it, you would want something more specific to your usecase, but if gaming is the main aim for the system this is a logical guide to look at.

I hadn't heard of this site before I built my PC, but incidentally my build is extremely similar to one of the builds featured on logical increments.
Spoiler:

Zakariya

What happens in the dark, comes out in light.
Years
I think I have the proper parts in mind for you want to achieve with a gaming PC.

CPU: AMD FX 8350

This CPU is perfect for what you intend to do, what took my laptop's intel CPU thirty minutes to perform could be done in less than five minutes thanks to the FX 8350. Even though it's excellent for painfully demanding for tasks and games, it's got one downside; excessively high heat generation.

CPU Cooler: The default cooling unit you get with the CPU should do fine unless you're considering running a game or program that would cause lower end computers to scream for mercy. In that case, I suggest you get Antec Kuler H20 950 kit if you want to keep the CPU from overheating.

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-970A-DS3P

This is a fine motherboard with a pretty nice BIOS interface. For what you want to do, I'd strongly recommend you use this.

Memory: For RAM, aim for the Cosair Vengeance series. For the motherboard listed above, I'd pick the DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) variant.

Storage: I'd go with the Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB for a primary hard drive, seeing as how solid state drives are faster than the speed of sound.

As for the secondary hard drive for storage, I'd go with a 4TB Western Digital hard drive. That way, you'll have room for anything for so many years to come. (That is, until big games and files of equal size start becoming even bigger space hogs than they are now).

Video Card: Go with a GPU in the AMD R9 series (specifically the 290x if you have the money). The AMD GPU I used make the games I play look amazing, and were pretty cheap compared to the other brands. If this is your first time and can't afford nVidia, stick with the R9 series.

Case: One thing that saved my sanity when putting my gaming PC together with the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer. Thanks to this thing's design, you don't even need screws to put some of the parts in. You can just slide the DVD drives in and use the locking clamps to hold them in, and they also put simple screw-less tools to easily put your hard drives inside.

That, and it also has a giant fan inside to help cool everything off, along with support for full tower parts even though it's just a midtower case.

Definitely get this if you want a good gaming PC.

Power Supply: Pick the Lepa G Seroes G1600 MA just to be safe. If you get a power supply too weak, that will end with very unwanted results. >_>

Optical Supply: Idk what you mean by this.

Optical Drive: The ASUS DRW 24B1st would be good for what you like doing.

If you have any more questions regarding hardware, I can answer them.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I think I have the proper parts in mind for you want to achieve with a gaming PC.

CPU: AMD FX 8350

This CPU is perfect for what you intend to do, what took my laptop's intel CPU thirty minutes to perform could be done in less than five minutes thanks to the FX 8350. Even though it's excellent for painfully demanding for tasks and games, it's got one downside; excessively high heat generation.

CPU Cooler: The default cooling unit you get with the CPU should do fine unless you're considering running a game or program that would cause lower end computers to scream for mercy. In that case, I suggest you get Antec Kuler H20 950 kit if you want to keep the CPU from overheating.

Motherboard: Gigabyte AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gbps USB 3.0 ATX DDR3 1600 Motherboards GA-970A-DS3P

This is a fine motherboard with a pretty nice BIOS interface. For what you want to do, I'd strongly recommend you use this.

Memory: For RAM, aim for the Cosair Vengeance series. For the motherboard listed above, I'd pick the DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) variant.

Storage: I'd go with the Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB for a primary hard drive, seeing as how solid state drives are faster than the speed of sound.

As for the secondary hard drive for storage, I'd go with a 4TB Western Digital hard drive. That way, you'll have room for anything for so many years to come. (That is, until big games and files of equal size start becoming even bigger space hogs than they are now).

Video Card: Go with a GPU in the AMD R9 series (specifically the 290x if you have the money). The AMD GPU I used make the games I play look amazing, and were pretty cheap compared to the other brands. If this is your first time and can't afford nVidia, stick with the R9 series.

Case: One thing that saved my sanity when putting my gaming PC together with the Cooler Master Storm Enforcer. Thanks to this thing's design, you don't even need screws to put some of the parts in. You can just slide the DVD drives in and use the locking clamps to hold them in, and they also put simple screw-less tools to easily put your hard drives inside.

That, and it also has a giant fan inside to help cool everything off, along with support for full tower parts even though it's just a midtower case.

Definitely get this if you want a good gaming PC.

Power Supply: Pick the Lepa G Seroes G1600 MA just to be safe. If you get a power supply too weak, that will end with very unwanted results. >_>

Optical Supply: Idk what you mean by this.

Optical Drive: The ASUS DRW 24B1st would be good for what you like doing.

If you have any more questions regarding hardware, I can answer them.
This PC build certainly does sound nice, and I'd suspect Optical Supply means nothing as nothing exists for that.

Are power bills a concern, though? (I'd say that you don't need THAT much CPU/GPU if one only wishes for high settings at 1080p or lower.) Something tells me one can probably get away with a much lesser CPU-GPU combination...something like a sufficiently fast Core i3 and a GTX 750 Ti. Or even if we're hitting parity, we can at least swap out the 290X with a GTX 970, if only because it's potentially cheaper, faster, uses less power, and more reliable in terms of support.

Heck, given what you want to do, if you don't even want to play games above HD resolutions and medium settings (what I'd call playable and presentable at minimum), I'd wager that a top-end AMD APU (CPU + really good integrated) along with DDR3-1866+ RAM, sans dedicated graphics card, will even do it with aplomb!

Last edited:
Back