• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

NU Pokemon need more love

Years
So this is a place to talk about the pokemon who have been categorized as NU, or Never Used, by Smogon. Honestly I think a lot of them end up NU because they're slow.

But besides the competitive factor there are still many under loved pokemon. Aurorus for example. Coolest (hur ice type pun) fossil pokemon in my opinion. Cradily, it doesn't get any more bad ass than that. Heck, even Serperior hold a special place on my teams.

So which pokemon do you think is under appreciated competitively or just in general?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
^Cradily is ****ing boss ^^

Another Pokemon that I think is a bit under-appreciated (more competitively than in general) is Lapras, particularly this generation since it gets Freeze Dry which lets it wreck all the Grass/Water or Ground/Water pokes and Kingdra and Rotom-W and all that other stuff that used to have no problem dealing with Lapras but are now scared of Freeze Dry. Has decent bulk too when equipped with an Assault Vest. It's sad though that Ice typing is such a double-edged sword and that Water/Ice isn't a particularly amazing defensive typing.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
NU doesn't really mean they're not liked or appreciated it's just in the competitive world they're not that great. In game though I imagine lots of people (like myself) use various Pokemon from all tiers.

Some of my favorites to use that are also in NU and not always loved so much are Cradily, Flareon, Hypno, Jynx, Dodrio, Fearow, Parasect, Relicanth, Sandslash, Wigglytuff, and Victreebel.

Either they're not thought of much or some of them are bashed. I've come to really love these ones and I've found them to have their own little usable niche.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
Years
Pikachu has an amazing potential as a wall breaker if it's holding light ball, has an adamant nature, and uses volt tackle. He is a lot more powerful than people think.

Feraligatr has STAB priority aqua jet, swords dance, and dragon dance. It is semi-bulky, and if it gets low, torrent comes into play. It also has great coverage.

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
I LOVE Nu and I have a lot of NU pokemon.

One of my favorite pokemon to play with is Lanturn :)
I have Archeops, Avalugg, Bouffalant, sceptile, Vespiquen, Glaceon, Granbull, just for some example :)

I almost just have NU, RU, UU. I don't like OU...

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm not sure if this Pokémon is still categorized in NU, but would like to give Feraligatr a shout. It's not very difficult to take down, but it does have access to a variety of moves that it could utilize to take a decent amount of opposing Pokémon on its own.

Anyhow, this thread would more likely fit better in Battling & Team-Building, so if you're okay, I'm moving it there for you!

Thread moved.

srinator

:3
eggy should get more love too,

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
NU is a pretty boss tier. It has its flaws, as with all the tiers, but with the recent departure of Spiritomb I feel that a lot more Pokemon are going to be seeing the light of day. Ghost- and Psychic- types are no longer screwed up their bum, to start with, so that's nice.

Mesprit and Uxie are two NU Pokemon that I'm really fond of, actually. Slurpuff is just amazing, and if it had higher base stats I really think it'd be in a higher tier.

Years
NU is one of the best tiers in my opinion. It's better than seeing the same sets in OU and UU everytime! I also like the RU and PU tier as well :P

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I only play NU nowadays, so I have to love this tier.

It really brings out the potential in pokemon. I like choosing a pokemon no one expects, and building a team around it, so the one pokemon can wreck everything. I've had great success with Cradily and Relicanth. Heck, Relicanth carried my team to the number six spot on the ladder on the main showdown server, and no other pokemon has forced more rage quits than Cradily.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
The only fifth gen starter I really liked was apparently thrown into this tier. What they hay man, Samurott has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and can really roll physical, special, or even mixed, plus it gets a nice movepool and decent bulk. :U It's only flaws are that it's not terribly fast and doesn't really recover. Ask anyone I've battled with one - Samurott can be quite... formidable

terrible joke on its species name completttte mwaha.

Years
  • Seen Jun 19, 2015
NU is probably my current favorite of the standard tiers (I also like STABmons and PU but those aren't really standard). There are a lot of Pokemon I like to use. There are also a lot Pokemon I really like (personally) such as Feraligatr, Camerupt, Lilligant, Sceptile, Magmortar, Gourgeist and quite a number of others. While these Pokemon vary in viability, I still do love them. (Though NU is likely to lose a lot of stuff when ORAS comes out)

Back