• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Multilingual

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 14, 2023
The concept of having the game release worldwide and letting you choose your language is such an awesome idea. However the problem with this, I believe, is that some nickname ideas get cut. There could be a totally harmless nickname you came up with in English but 4 letters of that nickname are a derogatory Spanish word. Do you guys have any opinion on this? Is it minor to you or was it a nuisance?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
The concept of having the game release worldwide and letting you choose your language is such an awesome idea. However the problem with this, I believe, is that some nickname ideas get cut. There could be a totally harmless nickname you came up with in English but 4 letters of that nickname are a derogatory Spanish word. Do you guys have any opinion on this? Is it minor to you or was it a nuisance?

not even regarding your own nicknames, it won't let you use words like Cofagrigus or Kakuna if you're looking for them in the GTS! What is up with that?!

BakingBluePotatoe

The Red Death Alchemist
Years
not even regarding your own nicknames, it won't let you use words like Cofagrigus or Kakuna if you're looking for them in the GTS! What is up with that?!

Lol Because u can't swear, those names have swear words in them. 8D

^Really, that's why. I got hit by this nonsence once when I tried to nickname one of my Pokemon after an anime character... part of the name was apparently a swear word in... spainish I think?

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Lol Because u can't swear, those names have swear words in them. 8D

^Really, that's why. I got hit by this nonsence once when I tried to nickname one of my Pokemon after an anime character... part of the name was apparently a swear word in... spainish I think?

The first one I get, but what swear word is in Kakuna?

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018

My guess would be the word that is a homophone with a certain string of three letters in the middle of Kakuna's name. It's a racial slur.

I think they need to fix what makes other Pokémon banned from the GTS because of their names, including the aforementioned some other Pokémon who don't go through are Froslass, Weedle, etc.

I can see where they're coming from with preventing offensive language on an E-rated game, but they need to step it up with how they filter words.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
My guess would be the word that is a homophone with a certain string of three letters in the middle of Kakuna's name. It's a racial slur.

I think they need to fix what makes other Pokémon banned from the GTS because of their names, including the aforementioned some other Pokémon who don't go through are Froslass, Weedle, etc.

I can see where they're coming from with preventing offensive language on an E-rated game, but they need to step it up with how they filter words.

wow! I never, in a MILLION years, could have gotten the Kakuna thing! But yes, I totally agree, they definitely need to fix their filter. Words that are bad in other languages, okay, that's understandable, but when it's their OWN words (as in pokemon names) they definitely need to lighten up!

Years

"Kak" means s*** in Dutch (I won't post the rest but I'm sure you know which word it is), which is explainable enough since it's already a swear word. But I do admit the censoring is heavily annoying at times because it means we get less nickname choices and sometimes even certain players have to name their trainer something entirely different just because their real name contained something "bad".

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
To others, I could definitely see this being troublesome, due to all reasons that have been stated so far; it restricts their creativity. I'm not much of a nicknaming person, though, personally, so for me, it's honestly not such a big deal.

Back