• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Spiritomb - The Magic Number is 108!

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Spiritomb is an interesting concept - it has a unique trivia fact behind it stating that in it's Diamond Pokedex entry it said that Spiritomb was made out of 108 spirits. However! It's also #108 in the Pokedex while also having a Defense and Special Defense of 108. It also weighs exactly 108 kilograms! Like geez, interesting, isn't it?!

180px-Spiritomb_anime.png

In D/P/Pt at the Hallowed Tower on Route 209, you can encounter an Spiritomb, but first: You must of put the Odd Keystone in the Hallowed Tower beforehand and also chatted to 32 people that weren't NPCs, underground. Once you have done both of those you then needed to 'interact' with the Hallowed Tower, as in walking up to it and pressing A on your DS. Then you'll encounter a Level 25 Spiritomb, who you can catch if you wish!

Well, that being said, did you attempt to catch Spiritomb or at least, meet the requirements to encounter it? What do you think about the concept of finding a Spiritomb; would you have preferred a different way, or, did you like the complexity of trying to even find one?

Feel free to discuss and shaaaare ideas.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I tried for like, 10 minutes. Realised I needed to chat to 32 people who weren't in the game already. Realised I didn't have the appropriate internet to try. Gave up. I hated how long it took to get Spiritomb back then - I feel like the whole talk to 32 people thing would work a lot better with the connectivity the Pokemon games have now, instead of back then. I also grew a hatred for Spiritomb due to how well Cynthia's Spiritomb took my hits, so I only wanted to find one for the sake of finding one. Too bad that didn't happen.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
I have never met the requirements in order to catch Spiritomb. I personally think that the requirements are a little too restrictive and difficult to meet when you have no 32 people to meet underground and no WiFi connection to meet those 32 people which you can't meet anyway because you don't know 32 Pokemon players. It's too troublesome and you're much better off trading for one.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I rarely had Wi-Fi access back then, so I never met the requirements for encountering Spiritomb. I really wanted one, too D: The method was fine, but I would have liked an alternative method, like finding one in near Stark Mountain or something like that, or maybe as a reward for catching X amount of Pokémon.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Nope, never got a Spiritomb for reasons above. No wi-fi, not enough people to add and not knowing the requirements. While I liked how Gamefreak challenged us with a difficult method of obtaining Spiritomb, it really went over the top. For one, not many people would be able to meet 32 others underground (especially if they have to be close to each other to join) so while that does make Spiritomb a sort of 'exclusive and rare' pokemon, they could of at least made it easier to catch. :( I mean back in 4th gen, you were already a god if you had 4 people to play underground with, let alone 32.

Spiritomb's cool and all but with a catching method like that, I'd rather trade a legendary for it on the GTS. :p

Years
Like pretty much everyone else who posted, I am also unfortunately afflicted by the curse of not having the proper wi-fi meaning I could never get the 32 people required. It was a method that was too complex in my opinion, especially just to obtain one Pokemon.

Controversy

Drink The Kool-Aid
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 7, 2015
Unlike everyone else I managed to obtain Spiritomb by using my brothers DS and doing that long monotonous method of obtaining it. An absolute stupid method that was only included to promote the underground features of those games.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
Years
Unlike everyone else I managed to obtain Spiritomb by using my brothers DS and doing that long monotonous method of obtaining it. An absolute stupid method that was only included to promote the underground features of those games.

Yes, agreed. Though the underground system definitely had potential, the mining aspect and secret base aspect in particular intrigued me. I managed to get one over GTS in the days of DPP, because even when you were in school you couldn't just walk up to people and ask them if they had a copy of Diamond and Pearl with them. Now that would be weird. But effective nonetheless. ;)

Spiritomb was never an outstanding Pokemon, but props to GameFreak this time, they did an a absolutely wonderful job with regards to its design. And the fact that it had no weaknesses in DPP was something that was always sought after, and it could learn quite a few high BP moves, not to mention it had a great offensive typing.

Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Agreed, for the most part. If Diamond and Pearl had the connectivity of the games today then Spiritomb's encounter would have been understandable. However, like so many have mentioned in this thread already the Internet wasn't as accessible as Gamefreak perhaps intended.

I used to get in to a lot of arguments with my parents to change the Internet encryption so I could trade on the GTS. That shouldn't happen.

That said though I did actually manage to encounter it in my Diamond and Platinum games. Spiritomb is a very unique Pokémon and one I'm a big fan of. It could probably use a Mega Evolution to really bring it up to scratch but it was a huge presence in the online gaming community pre-Gen V. As much as I was a fan of not having a direct weakness though, statistically it didn't stand out much.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Should have had to meet 108 people

I never met the requirements for it because I never played with or talked to other people about pokemon until Black and White. But the concept is very interesting and it'd be neat if they did something like it for another pokemon in the future.

Years
My friend and I weren't able to connect online, and there was barely anyone at our school that we knew played Pokemon. ;~;

So we just "met" each other in the underground....32 times. XD It took a while, but we managed it. But yeah, I wish that Spiritomb should have been easier to acquire...like, you can find Odd Keystones in the underground. So maybe upon finding one and putting it in the tower, you can get a Spiritomb right away instead of having to meet all those people. Sorta like fossils~ That's what I feel like GF should have done.

Years
Yeah, I got Spiritomb by using two DS systems and copies of the game. I did catch Spiritomb, multiple times in fact, but never used it seriously in-game, although I may have bred one just for fun that I have on my Pearl version.

Years
I didn't have many friends who could come over to help me get this so nope, never did manage to get Spiritomb legitimately. Eventually I got an action replay and used that to capture Cynthia's but of course it's just not the same, heh. xD;; Wish the requirements were a little lower. 32 is quite a lot. :(

pkmin3033

Mum and I did this together, we made an afternoon of it, with the second Lord of the Rings movie on in the background. Quality time together~

Well, I miiiight have badgered her into it...Spiritomb is one of my favourite fourth gen Pokemon; the method to acquiring it bothered me, but it didn't deter me from getting one ASAP. xD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I was able to encounter this Pokémon two or three times, yes. First was in Diamond, and it was a completely random experience. When I'd visited the Hallowed Tower on Route 209, Spiritomb didn't seemed to be there, and I had no idea what this tower was supposed to be for. Couple of months later, I decided to visit the place again, and to my surprise, Spiritomb seemed to appear out of nowhere.

Later, I decided to look online as to how you actually encounter this Pokémon, and results showed a list of requirements, all of which I seemed to have fulfilled (wasn't aware that I'd actually done them, but even so).

Grotesque

Banned
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 22, 2014
I caught the Spiritomb with the help of my brother's Pokémon Diamond file. I didn't use him that much however, only got him to Level 40 before I stopped using him.

Last edited:
Back