• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Inserting music help?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
I can convert files to .s fine and import them using Sappy. The problem is they're all fuzzy and don't sound right, they're very mechanical and glitchy.

How do I go about fixing this?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
Years
I'm not 100% sure of what's causing your problem, but I think the issue is that your song's volume is too high, therefore causing the strange noises. It's an easy fix, however. There's a line of code near the very beginning of the .s file that reads:

.equ [name of .s file]_mvl, 127

Change the 127 to a lower number. Usually 90 is a safe place to start, but if you still hear the weird noises, keep lowering that number. Save the .s file after changing the number and assemble it into Sappy again. You don't have to repoint if you assemble at the same location where you originally assembled it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
That's not exactly the problem.

The problem is that I will play a song as a .mid and it sounds... like a normal song. When I then convert it to a .s and assemble it using Sappy, it sounds mechanical. It's kind of hard to describe, but it doesn't sound ANYTHING like what the original sounded like.

Wobbu

Years
Ok, I think I know what the problem is. Your .s file is using instruments with numbers that are different than the voicegroup's numbers. Are you using a custom voicegroup or one that is already created in the vanilla ROM?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
Ok, I think I know what the problem is. Your .s file is using instruments with numbers that are different than the voicegroup's numbers. Are you using a custom voicegroup or one that is already created in the vanilla ROM?

I'm not specifying either way, I'm simply hitting assemble song on Sappy, choosing my file, and letting it do whatever.

I'd assume that means I'm using a voicegroup that's on the ROM.

How do I use a custom voicegroup (no idea what that is) that works with the track I'm attempting to load?

Wobbu

Years
I'll explain what voicegroups are, first. When you listen to the song when it's still a .mid file, your computer will play that song using a set of 128 preinstalled instruments (if you have a sound card). However, after converting the .mid into a .s file and assembling it into Sappy, it will be assigned to a voicegroup, which is like that set of 128 preinstalled instruments. But due to the way the devs of the Pokémon games set up the voicegroups, each voicegroup only uses around 10 instruments (rather than 128), which means that all tracks of your midi, which use an instrument that is excluded in the voicegroup you assigned your .s file to while assembling it, will sound like a mess of electric noises.

What game are you using? To the left of the volume slider in Sappy, you'll see something that reads "Voices 0x[pointer]" What is the offset for that pointer?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
I'm using Pokemon Ruby.

That number changes with each song.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
How do I check this?

I guess the answer is whatever the midi defaults to, but I really don't know.

I feel really stupid -.-

Wobbu

Years
lol how about you compress the midi into a zip file and upload it as an attachment in a post so I can look at it.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2016
Ok, I've attached one of the files I'm trying to use, a midi of the Lost Woods/Saria's Song from LoZ OoT.

I'm trying to do multiple songs though, so even if you can fix my issue I'd like to know how I can do it myself.

I'm also having issues getting the songs to loop, though my issue there is I simply haven't looked into how to do it XD

Thanks for helping so much.

Wobbu

Years
The problem is bigger than I thought... I thought you were using custom music that you made yourself. You have both tracks set to instrument 0, which is a piano in the midi editor that I use (Anvil Studio). When you assemble the song, the tracks are going to use instrument 0 in Ruby, which I believe is a drum set. However, not all voicegroups in Ruby have data for the 0 slot, so that song will sound mechanical when played in Sappy and in the game if that voicegoup doesn't have data for the 0 slot.

I suggest reading some music hacking tutorials. It can be tough to learn but you're trying to do the easier half of it, so it should be at least somewhat easy to understand.

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=301027
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121856

Back