• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Bianca and Cheren's Personal Journey

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Bianca and Cheren weren't just your normal rivals. They were important characters to the entire fifth generation. In a way, they grew with you, as you went through both BW and B2W2, you grew up, learnt a lot, battled a lot, and your rivals actually made something of themselves. This is something we hadn't seen before in other games. They went from awkward and goal driven, to characters that actually made something of themselves between the two sets of games.

What did you think of this transition/their journey? Which character do you think made the most of their journey (as in succeeded the most in their goal?) Did you get attached to them - Bianca not knowing what she wanted to becoming Juniper's assistant, and Cheren, with a goal to become the best... and ending up owning some dog monz, leading his own gym. Were their journies realistic? What else would've you liked to see them become between the two sets of games? Which moments do you think really were the turning points in their journies between the two sets of games? These are just some questions to consider, share your thoughts on how they transformed! C:

Years
I do think their journeys were realistic, and while I preferred Bianca as a character I preferred the journey that Cheren made :) I appreciated that they both demonstrated that there are different paths to take in the Pokémon world but I felt like Bianca's decision was a little too reminiscent of Lucas in the previous generation (even though I actually feel that with Bianca it made more sense as she was always depicted as a weaker battler whereas Lucas/Dawn weren't as much lol).

With Cheren I really liked the growth that he showed within a two year period, which must have been the case if he was appointed as Gym Leader :) Because it reminds me of Gary (rival you started your journey with and meet head to head in an official situation) I really liked that :)

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
I really was happy when I saw Biance becoming an assistant and Cheren as a gym leader. Was pretty sad though that Hilbert wasnt present in the sequel. Cheren really grew and Bianca finally knew what she was supposed to do. All in all that they really were great characters.

Years
Bianca and Cheren were two rivals I pretty much loved because of their development and how B2/W2 revealed what became of them, with the former becoming Juniper's assistant and the latter a Gym Leader.

They had character development that pretty much no other rival could replicate. That's what made this duo special to many 5th Gen fans such as myself. I also loved how they represented the truth and ideals motif that was heavily present in Black & White.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
I really liked Cheren the most out of the two. While in the beginning he seemed a bit like a cardboard cut-out stereotype, he did change as the story progressed. He was also a pretty formidable opponent, I definitely remember being stuck on the final battle we had with him before going off to Victory Road! I also LOVED how he made a glorious return in BW2 as a Gym Leader because it really is the perfect position for him, I think. In BW I suspected that he might turn out like Gary and become the Champion before me, but I think in the end being a GL is the best position for him :)

Back