• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Bulbasaur Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday

And so the trampling begins! Anyway, did the rival's Raticate (in Generation I) actually... die? I'm guessing it didn't, but...
It's a theory that it did, since it disappears between the fight on the SS Anne and the fight in the Pokemon Tower. People thought it was weird that Raticate was the only Pokemon to disappear from the Rival's team, and that it was weird that the Rival's just hanging out in the Pokemon Tower, so they thought he was there to bury his Raticate.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Wow no Raichu is not going to be with the two cocoon pokemon no. :'(

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
Years

Of course not! Our resistance is too futile to bring down Raichu, haha.

And regarding Raticate, that theory does seem to add up, but it's weird how the Rival is still 100% in-character at the Pokémon Tower. I guess he could've also released it, which supports why Oak scolded him for not loving and trusting his Pokémon.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

Maybe he's good at putting on a brave face? Thinking about it he's not really going to admit or show feelings to his rival that he thinks he's better than. To him it probably would seem like he's showing weakness. idk.

Meadow

Years

Hmm, I just watched that part of the game again, and apparently he was only looking for a Marowak. In fact, he wasn't even in front of a tombstone, and his sprite was constantly turning around, as if searching for something. Now I'm not gonna jump to conclusions or anything, but I guess Game Freak did a pretty good job at making it ambiguous (if that was even their intent, haha).

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years

I believe your rival mentions in Silph he caught a lot of Pokémon meaning he has way more Pokémon than he actually has on his team. So Raticate could easily be boxed.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years

I refuse to be a victim of PC's april fools joke. I was just going to put googly eyes on stuff, this is just stupid XD MY NAME IS NOW DYNGWILLFLISON.
On topic: I don't know how much I actually like the 'Blue's Raticate' theory, but it does seem more like he'd box it.

Years
14 quick upvote

Raticate theory is interesting, I'm not the biggest fan of creepy-pasta theory's (especially the suicide one... v.v). But this one does make a little sense I mean Pokemon can be dark sometimes.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday

Yeah, that's why I use a Pikachu through so much of the game. Raichu doesn't learn any moves (outside of TMs/HMs). The only reason why I really do evolve Pikachu is for the stat increase.

As for the Rival, doesn't he say that he already has 40 entries in his Pokedex by the time you talk to him on the SS Anne? So I can see why he would just box his Raticate if it wasn't holding up well with the rest of his team.

Meadow

Years
Sorry for spamming this link, but:
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8684406#post8684406

Anyways, true, but we'll never know if he releases them either. I mean, Paul may be an anime character, but he still falls under that archetype of "formidable trainers who don't love their Pokémon enough," which is precisely what Oak scolded his grandson for.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

I love all this that's happening somuch hahah.

And yeah, true. Really though, I think in your Rival's case it's up to open interpretation.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017

I remember that Paul guy. He released a few Starly, a Stantler, and even his own Chimchar.

Last edited:

Meadow

Years

Wow, you people are lucky. I accidentally raised the number last time because that April Fools' stuff was distracting me. =/

But yeah, the fact that Paul released his own Chimchar gave a lot of room for both his and Ash's character development, so it was a pretty good plot point.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023

It really was and just one of the reason why many people like Sinnoh the best. Which I don't blame them tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back