• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Week Seven: I just can't stay interested for that long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
10 weeks of anime: week seven
I just can't stay interested for that long
☆⌒(>。≪)

I'm awful at keeping up with anime, even if it's just 12 episodes long. I try to watch every Sunday no matter what, but eventually, I fall behind. I either get lazy, or lose interest entirely.

This happens even more easily with me, depending on how long the anime is. It took me 6 months to watch all of Hayate no Gotoku(52 episodes).

This week, I want to know how well you do with keeping up with anime each week. Do you watch the day it airs and make no excuses? Or would you rather wait until it's all aired, so you can sit back and watch one by one? Discuss!​

pkmin3033

I prefer to watch anime after it's aired. It isn't that anime can't keep me interested, it's more that I can't stand the wait between episodes each week. In order for me to break the pattern, the show has to be either something I've been anticipating and looking forward to - and that doesn't happen often; with the next season all I'll be watching weekly as season two of Nisekoi and Digimon Adventure tri - or it has to be insanely long...and the only ongoing long show I watch now is whatever Precure is currently airing at the time.

So, it has to be either really good and make its mark on me before it even starts airing, a sequel to something I really enjoyed, or Precure. Otherwise I just get it weekly then watch it at an episode-a-day pace (sometimes two if it's exceptional or grabs me...like Shigatsu has) once it's finished and when I can find the time. xD

Years
  • Age 29
  • home
  • Seen Aug 16, 2023
i prefer watching anime as it airs, simply because if i start an anime that's already aired, i'll inevitably end up binge-watching it if it even remotely interests me ( ´ ▽ ` )ゞ
and then if it's short enough i'll watch it all over the course of a week, like i did with Sakamichi no Apollon a few weeks ago. and otherwise, if it's long... i often end up losing interest. it's like playing that song you love over and over and over, and then you get sick of hearing it, even though you still love the song itself.

not that i've been watching a lot of anime this past season at all, haha. just Durarara, Shigatsu and Shirobako i think. oh, and Sailor Moon Crystal if that counts. but i should really pick up some anime this season, just for the sake of being able to watch weekly c:
i think the reason i can watch weekly easily is because i have a set time every week that i watch them. it's on friday afternoon, when i'm usually free early, and have a nice lunch while watching anime, haha.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I'm more to the airing side of watching than binge-watching. If you must know the amount of shows I have on hold on my MAL list, then yeah, I'm not a committed person. Watching on a weekly basis gives you that sense of suspense, especially when the episode ends on a cliffhanger, and when it's shown on your face you could only go "NO! Why does it have to be a cliffhanger?!".

Plus, anticipating for the next episode always feels good.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
Years
I'm a 50/50 with the airing and binge-watching side so I can get through around 25+ anime a season (both finished and airing).
I treat airing anime like TV. I don't watch TV anymore, but back when I never used the internet, I'd wait for the next episode to come out the following week. Anime is kinda the thing I do when I'm having a break from uni work, so if I've been working too long, I'll take a break for about an hour and watch the one or two things that came out that day. Because it's airing, I can't say "Just one more episode" because the next one doesn't come out till next week and I won't procrastinate my head off.

Having a MAL account also helps generally because I don't like things being on my list too long/ out of date/ I also don't want to drop anything so it kinda forces me to watch. Of course in some cases I have dropped because I couldn't take watching it because of boredom or whatever, but it does help me to finish.

For finished shows, I usually save them for the holidays or when I have a weekend with no assignments and I sit there and watch the whole thing - it's usually a 12-24 episode series, but on occasions like sports anime, I will watch even longer ones.

As for if I watch seasonal anime on the day it airs, I usually do that (or if I'm busy that day, watch the next I can). Being on tumblr I'll just get spoiled and I do want to discuss the latest episode with other people. I don't like friends asking me "did you see the latest episode of _______" and not being able to converse about it since I haven't watched it.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
If it's already all out and aired I can usually get done with a series in a few days. I tend to be better about sticking to watching longer series over short series. It took me nearly a month to finish SE Lain, whereas I was able to get through all of magi in the matter of a couple of days. I have been slacking lately though more than usual, and so I have a good 6 or 7 episodes of Shirobako and LH2 to watch yet. When I decide to watch really just depends on my mood and what else is going on. Like I spend a lot of time on Plug.dj for the supporters, so if I feel like watching anime it's usually at about 4/5 am when nobody's on so I have a few hours of peace and quiet to myself and then even still I end up getting sidetracked.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I prefer watching ITwhen is airing, actually, and it is really difficult to make me drop something. It's been a while since I dropped an anime... like forever.

Anyway, on topic, it's part of my daily basis to check if any new episode is out and make some time to watch it :). An organized weaboo.

Last edited:

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
I'm always waiting for the release from the subbing group I follow, since I don't like Crunchy or HorribleSubs (I only went with them for Mahouka so I could watch Mahouka 3 times) so it's never on the same day it's released for me.
I tend to follow closely each week but there are weeks when game (read Neps) get in the way so it's pushed back in my priority list so I tend to wait a bit 'till more episodes pile up and watch all in one go.
That goes for anime that are lower on the cour priority list. I do watch those on top each week, or at least I try =D

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
On topic, it took me about one year to finish Gintama's first season.... Well 201 episodes are not really good for a marathon.

Subverted by YugiohGX, which has about 180 and I finished in less than a week! Worth it every second.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I'm the type that's kinda impatient when waiting for a new episode release. Although, it'll probably change this Spring, considering that I'll only have a few days to download, and during that wait period I can check out the other subbers.

But yeah, I can't really stay committed towards an anime that's already completed, unless if it manages to intrigue me enough. That rarely happens though. Meanwhile, watching anime on a weekly basis makes me anticipate the next episode even more.

I rarely drop anime series. If anything, I normally watch them all to the end... and sometimes I regret doing that haha.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I'm bad a picking up series, but I just can't accept dropping them lol. Every anime I have dropped I decided to watch it either way at the end of the day. Proof of that my Dropped list has zero entries in MyAnimeList (MyKittyList, lol).

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Recently my schedule's been a bit packed, so I wait until the weekend to watch that week's anime. Though, I'm going to be watching a lot of Spring anime, so..looking forward to that...
I don't really drop anime, but when I do, its when the quality is very bad. I also don't really pick up older anime. I don't really have the energy to binge watch anyway.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
I try to watch shows on a weekly basis, although not exactly on the day it airs due to busy uni life (Instead I watch the shows on the weekend... roughly). I haven't binge watched a series for a while now the last show was Gurren Lagann (worth it)

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
On the other hand:

It took me 2 years to watch Trinity Blood. I can't understand what people find interesting in this show. It was like torture.

I try to watch shows on a weekly basis, although not exactly on the day it airs due to busy uni life (Instead I watch the shows on the weekend... roughly). I haven't binge watched a series for a while now the last show was Gurren Lagann (worth it)

Completely on topic:

I believe I never seen a show made by GAINAX not worth a marathon.

And I've seen many of them, even the less popular ones.

My favorite of course is Evangelion, since... ever. But I also love TTGL.

Skip Class

Years
Now that I think of it, there's a bunch of series that I've watched one or two episodes of (a lot when they started to air) and then I stop them saying I'll come back to them - then not coming back for ages. (And still probably haven't watched them xD).

I'm bad a picking up series, but I just can't accept dropping them lol. Every anime I have dropped I decided to watch it either way at the end of the day. Proof of that my Dropped list has zero entries in MyAnimeList (MyKittyList, lol).

Basically took the words right out of my mouth! Even if the series is horrible I force myself to watch for the sake of finishing it. Must be a punishment for me picking up too many things at the start of a season xD

Proof of that my Dropped list has zero entries in MyAnimeList (MyKittyList, lol).

This I can't compare too, I've given in to having to drop anime on more than one occasion. If I ever had time to finish the list that I've already built up, I may go back to give them another try.

On topic, it took me about one year to finish Gintama's first season.... Well 201 episodes are not really good for a marathon.

Subverted by YugiohGX, which has about 180 and I finished in less than a week! Worth it every second.

Really depends on how good the series and each episode is for binge watching I guess? I've started slowly make my way through Case Closed, but I don't like the feel of marathoning it.

I seriously cannot just watch everything in the weekend like a lot of people do because that's when I actually do my uni work. Not to mention, most things that I watch seasonally like to come out on Saturday or Sunday for some reason. Haha Gurren Lagann has been on my to-watch binge list for a while now!

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
The protagonist? =D
For example, I liked they used my country's first president as a character xD

LOL! My president never had this honor. Well he is quite special so we can say that explains why.

Anyway, on topic, yes, I actually find the narrative boring. It was like between the transitions they preferred to talk utter nonsense instead of something worth watching. It's been a long time since I watched, so we can use as a counterargument that maybe I wasn't ready at the time.

This I can't compare too, I've given in to having to drop anime on more than one occasion. If I ever had time to finish the list that I've already built up, I may go back to give them another try.

I feel like I'm abandoning a puppy in the street just because it's ugly ;___;

I might even use the expression 'indefinite hiatus' rather than 'dropped'.

And if we go into indefinite hiatus there's only one show that is still on it: Naruto. (which I haven't even added to MyAnimeList). I already went through Bleach, I'm not watching fillers for the sake of watching things.

Skip Class

Years
I feel like I'm abandoning a puppy in the street just because it's ugly ;___;
This is literally the best description I've heard for dropped anime - it describes it so well!

I might even use the expression 'indefinite hiatus' rather than 'dropped'.

And if we go into indefinite hiatus there's only one show that is still on it: Naruto. (which I haven't even added to MyAnimeList). I already went through Bleach, I'm not watching fillers for the sake of watching things.

Indefinite hiatus ... I am going to steal that from you haha. Best phrase since I don't like using dropped. Indefinite hiatus seems... less negative I guess?

Naruto I can't really say it's an indefinite hiatus for me because I do plan to go back and finish it. Just actually getting me to restart doing that I have no idea when that's ever going to happen xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back