• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to add a new Pokemon. (Complete Tutorial)

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
Years
  • Seen Oct 5, 2013
Thanks. But does anyone know why it won't let me synchronize the pallets? Every time I try to replace bulbasaur with shadow lugia the images at the bottom are messed up. Can some one please help?
Do you have more than 16 coulous, just in case index it in infranview, if you need more help pm me.

PowerSpartanl99

Pokemon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2013
Dude thanks I think I fixed it... Now I just need to finish the mapping (advance map rocks!)

CharmanderFan123

Death is only an illusion.
Years
  • Seen Nov 1, 2011
Can any explain why I can't input info on the Pokedex page for my new Pokes?

EDIT: I also can't add any new moves

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2012
Nice Tutorial!

one question though;
Is there any way to change it where instead of finding a shiny pichu you find a normal colored spiky eared pichu? i did some spriting and have the sprites set up like in the tut but everytime i try to add them it makes them all have spiky ears and the shinies are still shiny colored. also when i sync palletes they get all messed up.....

Years
  • Seen Nov 8, 2011
Can any explain why I can't input info on the Pokedex page for my new Pokes?

EDIT: I also can't add any new moves
I'm not too experienced but I'll share my knowledge..
I'm assuming you're editing the ??? Pokémon between Celebi and Treecko. The Pokédex can only contain 386 Pokémon afaik (I guess you can expend it with asm and stuff but that's some advanced ****). So if you choose to edit those slots then the Pokémon you add won't show up in the dex. Regarding the moves.. you need to repoint. Wish I could tell you HOW you do that, but I don't really know myself. Should be some tutorials on that though.

Years
  • Seen Oct 29, 2012
hello :] new here; i was wondering which program you used to layer the missingno sprite over bulbasaur o:

GoombaGeek

what does this box do
Years
Um, I don't want to be the annoying formatting guy but in default forum style this is almost completely unreadable.

Do most people use styles with black backgrounds? Because white on white is just terrible and I don't want to have to highlight something just to see it :(

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2013
I need some help. So I have been trying to add a sprite of Riolu to replace oddish in fire red for some time and nothing seems to work. I have changed the colors to 16 using IrfanView and changed the size of them as well. Ive done and redone everything I can think of and I do not know what I am doing wrong. If it is the sprites where can I get better ones that wont have this problem? Thank you in advance.

Years
  • Seen Sep 23, 2012
i need help with this (view the attachment), the flame on charmander's back sprites switched the darkest color, the sprites are 64x64 and all the same position, anyone know why is it doing that?

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Could somebody please upload the Advanced Series Toolbox? I can't find it anywhere, and since Wichu is gone I cannot get it from him either. Unless there is a better way of inserting new sprites, usign other programs, but this one seems the easiest to me.
Thanks in advance.

Edit: After hours of searching, I found it! For all of those searching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQUOIxddMk0

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Mar 5, 2016
Hi, I like your tutorial but I have a problem, whenever I try to add in the sprites with APSE, I can get it in, but when I hit write to rom I get this:
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
at Sprite_Editor.RomFunctions.ConvertStringToByteArray(String& str)
at Sprite_Editor.SpriteData.GetCompressedData(Int32 species)
at Sprite_Editor.Form1.WriteToROMButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4234 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
Advanced Pokémon Sprite Editor
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Patrick/Desktop/Advanced%20Series/Advanced%20Pok%E9mon%20Sprite%20Editor.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4235 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4236 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4235 (VistaSP2GDR.050727-4200)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4016 (NetFxQFE.050727-4000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.1 built by: SP
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I have the latest microsoft.net framework and I am running windows vista, anyone know what is going on?
I have tried this with both Emerald and Firered and it doesn't work.

Years
  • Seen Oct 13, 2020
im trying to change tangela for electivire but electivire sprite are to big what do i have to do?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 14, 2020
Just what I needed! Haha! It's funny you inserted the sprite.
Thank you!

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to make this tut! :) Really well explained!

jacktheking

Hatched Egg
Years
I use this guide and it work! Thanks!
But.. is there anyway to add in other Gen pokemon without replacing the Firered Pokemon?

Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2013
I exported Latios's sprite and import it to Latias's sprite, only to get this when trying to Write to ROM.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.

How do I solve this? Is the program not compatible with VISTA?

Back