• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ruby hack: Pokémon Snakewood Version

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
The story certainly is.... interesting. XD And the custom sprites could use a little work. Your mapping isn't the best, but it isn't bad either. Good luck on this.

Cutlerine

Gone. May or may not return.
Years
The story certainly is.... interesting. XD And the custom sprites could use a little work. Your mapping isn't the best, but it isn't bad either. Good luck on this.

Yes, I'm aware of all of this. Looking back at the beginning of the hack, I can see things that I thought were great then that make me wince now. I have got better through experience, and no doubt one day not too far away I'll look back at what I'm doing now and say to myself, "What was I thinking?"

Sigh. Such is the nature of progress.

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
Years
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. Looking back at the beginning of the hack, I can see things that I thought were great then that make me wince now. I have got better through experience, and no doubt one day not too far away I'll look back at what I'm doing now and say to myself, "What was I thinking?"

Sigh. Such is the nature of progress.

Alternatively, you could go back and fix all of that stuff.

Cutlerine

Years

Alternatively, you could go back and fix all of that stuff.

Oho, I could, I could! Or I could treat Snakewood as the learning hack I intended it to be, and put the skills I have been acquiring to better use in making the hack I actually set out to make, Pokémon Keratin Version. Maybe I'm lazy, or maybe after however long it's been I'm simply disillusioned with zombies, but...

Where do you get strength

You don't. You don't need it yet. Personally, Strength is my least favourite HM: its base power lures you in with promise that it might actually be useful on a Pokémon with good Attack and poor physical learnset; but it always disappoints in the end. So, until the very end at least, there will be no Strength, not least because Strength rocks block the way to Snakewood's equivalent of the legendary golems.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 10, 2020
Downloaded and played this hack (on livestream! it was fun! x3) and I'm really enjoying it so far; the sequence breaking (by which I mean the speed at which you acquire Surf and the doing-away of things such as gyms) keeps the game fresh, even though the setting is the same. I do think you could use a tile revamp of some sort, even though it's set in Hoenn and all. I'm also missing the female PC's overworlds, but that's just an aesthetic thing, like you said. Also there's a tile error in Littleroot town. Or maybe those white blocks are supposed to be there. I dunno.

I'm at Dewford and my team is:
Spoiler:

I'm doing a pseudo-Nuzlocke, by which I mean that I'm limiting myself to 1 per route and I was doing the release-if-faint thing until Koffing fainted and I was like "screw that." I'm really looking forward to exploring more!

Question; do Weezing or Qwilfish have further evolutions?

Cutlerine

Years
Downloaded and played this hack (on livestream! it was fun! x3) and I'm really enjoying it so far; the sequence breaking (by which I mean the speed at which you acquire Surf and the doing-away of things such as gyms) keeps the game fresh, even though the setting is the same. I do think you could use a tile revamp of some sort, even though it's set in Hoenn and all. I'm also missing the female PC's overworlds, but that's just an aesthetic thing, like you said. Also there's a tile error in Littleroot town. Or maybe those white blocks are supposed to be there. I dunno.

I'm at Dewford and my team is:
Spoiler:

I'm doing a pseudo-Nuzlocke, by which I mean that I'm limiting myself to 1 per route and I was doing the release-if-faint thing until Koffing fainted and I was like "screw that." I'm really looking forward to exploring more!

Question; do Weezing or Qwilfish have further evolutions?

Oh wonderful! I do enjoy it when people enjoy things I've made. Now, Weezing originally had a third evolution called Hakking, but it no longer does. This was because it used to be the only starter. However, Qwilfish does have a further evolution. It evolves at Level 33 into the mysterious Pokémon silhouetted in one of the screenshots on the first post.

And I know about the tile error in Littleroot. I can't get it to disappear. And I haven't put in the female overworlds yet. Sorry, but since they're not essential, they'll go in last, like the Pokémon icons.

The sequence-breaking was a major factor in creating this game. HMs appearing in the same order and the endless routine of Gyms get kind of boring - so there are now only three Gyms left in the game, one of which is in Dewford, one of which isn't really a Gym, and one of which is in, of all places, Pacifidlog town...

Oh! Almost forgot: If anyone has got far enough, please don't Fly back to Littleroot Town yet and Surf across the water... Because the area beyond that is nowhere near finished yet, and you won't be able to get back out again if you go there. I'll block it off in the next update, but still.

EDIT: I love the names of the Pokémon on your team... especially Mr. Wiggles.

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
Years
This hack is so awesome in its storyline and totally straying from the linear story in the actual games. Right now I'm at the Dewford Gym (btw... is the Dewford Gym Leader from FLCL? If so...nice). I'm a little stuck with said leader, need to train my team some more. Anywho, good work and keep it up!

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
I'm in the sub again after the fight with war at meteor falls and I have no clue what to do...and yes I did talk to usher but I'm still confused

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
Years
I love this hack. Its one of the best Ive played, even though that Kingmadio in the gym threw me way off...

Cutlerine

Years
This hack is so awesome in its storyline and totally straying from the linear story in the actual games. Right now I'm at the Dewford Gym (btw... is the Dewford Gym Leader from FLCL? If so...nice). I'm a little stuck with said leader, need to train my team some more. Anywho, good work and keep it up!

It is true; Haruko is indeed from FLCL. Give yourself five points - that's an easy reference to get. I wonder if you can get any of the harder ones?

I'm in the sub again after the fight with war at meteor falls and I have no clue what to do...and yes I did talk to usher but I'm still confused

After speaking with Usher, jump down the hole and go to a small area to the left of the place where you go down to the bottom floor. You'll find a broken elevator here. You must work out how to fix it so you can progress...

I love this hack. Its one of the best Ive played, even though that Kingmadio in the gym threw me way off...

Yay! I love it when people like things I've done. Or maybe I just like having my ego fed with praise.;)

DJCherryTempo

The Reserved Observer
Years
Yay! I love it when people like things I've done. Or maybe I just like having my ego fed with praise.;)
It really it a good hack of Ruby. Im at the part where you deal with those 9 guys who seem retarded. I just wish that room with the security system was a little easier. Ive had to save after every step I made....

EDIT: I just now made it through there....You are an evil genius...That securtiy area pissed me off more than the first time I played Pokemon Blue and got to Lavender Town without Flash....

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 28, 2013
I know I might sound noob, but I've finished the New Mauville thing, and then somehow that Gleis guy's been taken. What do I do now? I have to go rescue him, but where do I go?

EDIT: Does the Island of Calm have to do anything with it?
DOUBLE-EDIT: never mind, I found out how to do it.

Also, another problem, I can't progress in the hack. I got Gleis' Pokegear back and then I can't move in any direction. I have a screenshot of it, but I can't upload it as I don't have 15+ posts yet.

I can't go in ANY direction- up, down, left or right. I can't even go back through the door I came in...

Last edited:

Cutlerine

Years
It really it a good hack of Ruby. Im at the part where you deal with those 9 guys who seem retarded. I just wish that room with the security system was a little easier. Ive had to save after every step I made....

EDIT: I just now made it through there....You are an evil genius...That securtiy area pissed me off more than the first time I played Pokemon Blue and got to Lavender Town without Flash....

Heheh. Yes, I'm quite fond of my puzzles. The Inquisition Boardroom, the Madio Caves, the S.S. Cangrejo... and there are more to come, have no fear of that.

Also, there are 10 of them. Mikov, Bobov, Gunkov, Karkov, Robotnov, Rolv, Sputnov, Vladov, Adolv, and Asimov. Together, they are the Deadly Seven... or are they something more? Play on to find out...

I know I might sound noob, but I've finished the New Mauville thing, and then somehow that Gleis guy's been taken. What do I do now? I have to go rescue him, but where do I go?

EDIT: Does the Island of Calm have to do anything with it?
DOUBLE-EDIT: never mind, I found out how to do it.

Also, another problem, I can't progress in the hack. I got Gleis' Pokegear back and then I can't move in any direction. I have a screenshot of it, but I can't upload it as I don't have 15+ posts yet.

I can't go in ANY direction- up, down, left or right. I can't even go back through the door I came in...

This is odd. I've never encountered this problem before. I've just checked the script and can't find anything wrong with it... All I can suggest is going back to your last save point and trying again. :( Or perhaps your Ruby ROM is broken. I had a problem similar to this in someone else's hack (I forgot whose or which), and taking a clean ROM and applying the patch resolved the issue.

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
One thing I've noticed - if you go redeem the token for the thundercub, but your inventory is full, you'll lose the pet. Is there a way to prevent it?

Also, (though I haven't tested it on a fresh game) battling Norman still gives me the old error...

Cutlerine

Years
One thing I've noticed - if you go redeem the token for the thundercub, but your inventory is full, you'll lose the pet. Is there a way to prevent it?

Also, (though I haven't tested it on a fresh game) battling Norman still gives me the old error...

That's odd. I'm certain I've fixed Norman - it worked for me. I'll have another check and see if there's anything I've accidentally done to him.

As the Thunder Cub, I hadn't tested it with a full inventory. I think I'll have to fix that. In case you hadn't figured it out yet, the Mush Mask, the Cologne, the Spark Token and the Thunder Cub are links in a very, very long item chain that isn't finished yet, and eventually ends in the Meathouse with the accidental summoning of a very rare and powerful Pokémon.

EDIT: I just played through the Petalburg Gym sidequest again, and Norman definitely works for me. Are you sure you've got the latest IPS?

EXTRA SUPER FUN EDIT: Put up a new IPS. This one has a more kindly Count D who will refund your Spark Token for you if you don't have room for a Thunder Cub, and also a man in the Meat House who will actually give you TM Water Pulse now instead of just talking about it.

Last edited:

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Cuterline-After speaking with Usher, jump down the hole and go to a small area to the left of the place where you go down to the bottom floor. You'll find a broken elevator here. You must work out how to fix it so you can progress...

I know but how do I fix it I really want to progress

Cutlerine

Years
Cuterline-After speaking with Usher, jump down the hole and go to a small area to the left of the place where you go down to the bottom floor. You'll find a broken elevator here. You must work out how to fix it so you can progress...

I know but how do I fix it I really want to progress

Spoiler:

Tcoppy

Favorite Stand
Years
Spoiler:

thanks now I can still play the game!

Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
That's odd. I'm certain I've fixed Norman - it worked for me. I'll have another check and see if there's anything I've accidentally done to him.

EDIT: I just played through the Petalburg Gym sidequest again, and Norman definitely works for me. Are you sure you've got the latest IPS?.
Yep - but it may be a bad rom or a problem with the save (or something completely different). Unless it is vital to beat him, I think I can live without that fight ;)

BTW - I know that one of the catchable diseased Pokemon is Graveill, but I can't seem to find the second one...

And I think that the pets could be made more interesting - compared to the Pup and Sparkly pony, they are somewhat boring (mostly because they're old and well known creatures ;) )

Oh, and did You increase the chance to find a shiny mon? I've already found two random ones (a Zigzagoon and a Sandshrew)...

Last edited:
Back