• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Bug Catching Contest

Shitik

Generic Bio
Years
I have spent a total of 1 hour at the Bug Catching Contest on Soul Silver and I have never gotten first (it's luck, I know ;) ) and now I just want to see if anyone has gotten first before. The best I caught was probably a Metapod back when I got to the park lol. Well, who has gotten to this "achievement"? :)

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
I have spent a total of 1 hour at the Bug Catching Contest on Soul Silver and I have never gotten first (it's luck, I know ;) ) and now I just want to see if anyone has gotten first before. The best I caught was probably a Metapod back when I got to the park lol. Well, who has gotten to this "achievement"? :)

I have never gotten first heck in Soul Silver I never even gotten first or second, it's getting really frustrating for me. I always lose to a Caterpie or Weedle

CoffeeDrink

GET WHILE THE GETTIN'S GOOD
Years
The trick is to just chuck Sports Balls without dealing any damage or using status moves (Paralysis, Burn, Poison). You get more points for healthy Pokémon. I've won with nearly every Bug Pokémon that was available simply by just chucking the Pokéballs.

Reactions: Sun
Years
Have got it multiple times over the years. More times than not was due to:
-Venonat
-Paras

Number of times Scyther/Pinsir finished second to a Butterfree... hoo boy.
Placing second becouse my points freakin' EQUALLED some one... that sucks, too.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I almost always win whenever I catch a Pinsir or a Butterfree. And if I don't win I'm in second.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 12, 2015
I only went por that contest to catch Scyther and Pinsir. I never bothered to get 1st place.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
I can't remember if I've won first in HGSS. I do remember winning in Gold, even if it was rigged to the max. In spite of that though, it was always fun to participate in, especially when I was hunting for a Scyther!

Years
I have gotten first in HGSS plenty of times, although it did take a bit of time for me to figure out that the trick was that you needed the Pokémon's HP to be high if you wanted more points.

Years
I did once do the Bug Catching Contest for fun, but never even knew about the high HP requirement to score well (it's not fun when you end up burning so many Sport Balls attempting to catch a Scyther, or another low catch rate Pokemon) so I often always ended up with terrible Pokemon and not placing in the top 3, meaning I take home a not-so-impressive Shed Shell.

Reactions: Sun
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
I used to catch the pokemon at the bug contest like you'd catch one in the wild. So no, I've never won a bug catching contest, haha.

I did catch enough Caterpie to make the world go round though. :]

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
Years
I caught a Scyther, burning up seven sport balls. Level 28 and it was really nice, but it didn't make the top 3, being beaten by a metapod, kricketune, and dustox... I swear, the tourney is rigged, I would yell in a humorous joking rage. But seriously, that did upset me the first time it happened.

Psychic

Really and truly
Years
  • Seen Apr 11, 2018
I actually just entered and won the Bug-Catching Contest today with a Pinsir! If I don't place first, you can bet I'll restart so I can get a precious evolution stone.

I've always appreciated the Bug-Catching Contest, though - I've had a Scyther or Scizor on my Johto team ever since Silver and Crystal. False Swipe is invaluable. Plus Scyther is just awesome.

~Psychic

blue

gucci
Years
I think the highest I've achieved is 2nd, and that was with a Scyther! It's kinda ridiculous how someone can win with a Caterpie up against a Butterfree and Scyther, but it's still a fun gimmick.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
I did once do the Bug Catching Contest for fun, but never even knew about the high HP requirement to score well (it's not fun when you end up burning so many Sport Balls attempting to catch a Scyther, or another low catch rate Pokemon) so I often always ended up with terrible Pokemon and not placing in the top 3, meaning I take home a not-so-impressive Shed Shell.

I know how that feels, I want a sun stone, maybe my friend can help me

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I did manage to score a win before, if I remember right, yep.

As for the contest itself, I wasn't such a huge fan of it. Although it was nice and whatnot, and had helped make HeartGold and SoulSilver feel special--in most other games, we haven't had anything like it--I've personally found it to be slightly... well, boring, haha.

If it were up to me to change something regarding this, one thing I would do is have more rare Pokémon--preferably bug-type, since it's a bug-catching contest after all--appear. This would have given me a more good reason as to why I should participate.

Years
Yup I managed to win few times haha, if you can manage to catch rarer Pokémon like Scyther with as much health as possible it usually does the trick :) I usually enter to catch a Venonat to keep on my team :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Pinsir and Scyther are often my ace card. I'm surprised that I've won with non of those Pokémon that I've mention though, since then I've learned that full and high HP is the secret to win!

Years
I have got a ton of scythers to win these contests!At that time I just wanted to win. So till I dont catch a scyther/pinsir(I think there is a pinsir too)I just used to press the run button.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
You can get First?
Honestly i could only get second even with all of my scythers i got i only got pinsir once but i still didnt win haha

Back