• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
I never understood why people love hardcore platformers so much. Games that are hard just for the sake of being difficult don't really do much for me - if anything, they're just frustrating, and I'm not having fun when I'm frustrated.

There are some legitimately difficult games that I've enjoyed. Just recently I've beaten DKC Tropical Freeze and Shovel Knight, and neither of those games are easy to say the least. But I didn't particularly find their difficulty frustrating, whereas with something like Super Meat Boy I could see myself snapping my controller in half within five minutes. When you realize that you died because of your own screwup, rather than because the game wants you to die, it's much more rewarding and less frustrating.

You thought Shovel Knight was hard? I actually found it fairly easy.

A case could be made though that Super Meat Boy was rewarding in it's gameplay. Yes, the difficulty of the game was excruciatingly high, but don't tell me that you didn't feel a sense of accomplishment whenever you completed a level. When a round was complete, a replay was shone of all of your attempts, and you could slowly but surely see the progression you made in your bout against the game. I believe that a game can be both frustrating and rewarding, and in the case of Super Meat Boy specifically, that game was able to balance the two.

Although I will admit, a level such as this in Super Meat Boy was a real bastard to beat.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I am on the last level in super meat boy and it is driving me insane. I want to complete it so bad. I like feeling I achieved something when I complete it tho.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I have a vita. It is a magnificent little handheld. I'm pretty clumsy and end up dropping mine a lot and it's pretty darn sturdy.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Tbh, I still haven't beaten SMB, but at least I got tho world 5, after beating the boss in Hell just recently. It's funny how a boss can get from challenging to easy after you've found a blindspot that allows you to dodge all his attacks on his final phase, except for the ast headbutt. I'm probably not going for the dark world and the true ending, though. At least for now.

I don't have a Vita, because of money and the lack of games I'm interested in. In general the only Sony console I own is my PSP which I still haven't understood, why I bought it in the first place. At least it lets me play the first two Disgaea games, which I really enjoyed playing, because they are so over the top. {XD}
I'm focusing more on games made for Nintendo handhelds and PC, probably because that's what I was growing up with.

After watching some videos I decided to make another playthrough of Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and now I'm in a spot where I have to consider taking everything back I said about tutorials in Pokemon games. You'd have to put every tutorial that you see in Pokemon games into one big cluster and you'd still not get that amount of unneccessity in terms of tutorials that game offers.
Trying to build up immersion with a ton of text (which GS is known for) and then break this immersion by having a character explain to you how to equip items in the menu while automating the whole process for demonstration purposes, isn't what you'd want to do when trying to set up a world that's full of tons of lore.
There are some other things, too, that could have been avoided, like all the stuff that you could possibly miss because of these points of no return in the game, but all in all it's still a great game, in my opinion. Not neccessarily as good as the other two games, but still great.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Hey, do many of you have a ps vita? I'm considering getting one, and want some opinions!
Other than the fact that Sony doesn't care about it and that it doesn't exactly have a growing library anymore, it's nice for what it has, but I'd be quicker to recommend the Playstation TV which is, at the time of posting, on sale for $60, which is much more attractive than the Vita's price tag. Its compatibility could be better, but I'd say it's well worth the price for most anyone.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I personally love my PSVITA. Picked it up on release day morning, Virtues Last Reward is my favourite game on the system but it has some other amazing ones such as, Mulitple Disgaea, UMVC3, Persona 4 Golden, Ragnarok Odyssey (think more arcade style monster hunter but loads of fun)

The pack log is great to, Being able to play both ps1 and PSP games and remasters such as FFX/X-2 and the ratchet and clank and jak trilogy, aswell as god of war are more great things to be able to take portable.

I personally love being able to take things like Disgaea portable, I had disgaea 3 on PS3 but played it only a little as it didn't really fit in with what I liked but as soon as I got it on VITA I spent hours playing it when I had free time.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
I've got a Vita and I absolutely love it. It's a gorgeous system and it works so well. I love the design and I love the features... but I wish it had more games. I have to agree with Satoshi Ookami: if you aren't a fan of JRPGs or indie games, there's not much point to it. But I really love my system and my only regret about owning it is that Sony ignores it so much so it doesn't get the great attention and library it deserves. :(

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
My biggest lose to my Vita was monster hunter. I looked at the new one on 3DS and it looks like its far worse than it is on even the PSP. MH on Vita would have been amazing. same as PSO2 being released, I love PSO and would have loved to see that get released over in the west but thanks to bad support that never happened, only issue vita ever had was Sony itself.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/01/3...s-preparing-for-a-digital-non-console-future/

Looks like Sega is gonna concentrate more on PC and mobile stuff than actual console gaming, whiiich came from Sonic Boom's flop, essentially. o:
I don't mind too much. Despite the fact that I've read they are supporting "Online PC games" specifically, this does raise the chances of PC ports of Atlus games.

Those lost jobs are a shame, though.

I looked at the new one on 3DS and it looks like its far worse than it is on even the PSP.
Does it? Because I've played a good deal of MH3U on the 3DS, which plays surprisingly well despite not having a second nub (and adds almost too much- which isn't a bad thing). Got the demo for MH4 as well and it feels and plays great. Plus, there are several Monster Hunter type games on the Vita and yet, other than MH itself, there are none on the 3DS, so I think it's pretty balanced. After all, the Vita has God Eater 2, Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden, and Freedom Wars, among others, so it's not too much of a loss, I'd say.

Last edited:

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
Years
I only tried Ragnarok on Vita, It was a good game, and tbh the 2nd Ragnarok game they did I got bored with very fast. Hated the changes that they made. I ended up getting the old MH games in the end to make up for how much I wanted a good farming game, on 3DS I personally didn't like the controls. I never tried the add on they made for it though as I only had the demo. I might try it again once the new 3DS is out. Maybe that will make a difference.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
I love the Vita as a piece of hardware, but it's the biggest waste of money I've ever spent on a system. There are so few good games for it (unless you're into indie games that are available on nearly every single other platform) and the fact Sony has dropped all development support for it and never really gave it that much to begin with, is a huge bummer. It's a shame, because the system had so much potential.

Meanwhile, as a piece of hardware the 3DS sucks horribly but it has an incredible library of games.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
(unless you're into indie games that are available on nearly every single other platform)
See, and that's my problem. I hear people say that it's good for indie games and that, if you're into indie games, you'll like them. First off, I never liked the "if you're into indie games" phrasing, it's not even a genre, I don't see how someone can not like indie games because they aren't inherently different than games with publishers- but that's irrelevant.

My point here is that if I was given the chance to buy an indie game which is very likely on several consoles and PC, 99 times out of 100 I'm going to the PC for these games because they're often cheaper, portable to an extent, and available earlier with more forms of play. Really, there's not much that makes the non-exclusive indie scene attractive for the Vita, and certainly not much to put it in front of any other platform.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Some people (read me) would object to this.
My backlog of Vita games is pretty much 2 times backlog of PS3+PS4.
Regardless, I stand by my statement. Reason being, you're certainly in the minority in this. The PS3 certainly has a far larger and more diverse library, and it's a lot easier for pretty much anyone to jump in, pick a game, and have fun. And then, if you wanted more games of that genre, you'd be in luck. Hell, even the PSP, for all the crap it gets, did this better than the Vita did at that point in its life.

And nowadays, few features are added, not many games are on its upcoming lineup (and fewer exclusives), and updates are basically only to combat exploits (that, ironically, are only for PSP mode and wouldn't do much damage to the Vita at all). The only thing Sony actually advertises the Vita (and the PSTV) for is its compatibility with with the PS4. It's really a shame, too, because it is a nice piece of hardware capable of quite a lot.

Kyoe

working on it
Years
Thanks, everyone, for the input! I really appreciate it.

I thought they were going to release MHP3rd on the Vita? I played the PSP version, and it was pretty good.

Tbh, though, it's disappointing that it's been abandoned by Sony. I might still get one, since there are a number of games for it that interest me, but with the kind of hardware it has I had hoped it would've done better.

If I do decide to get one, expect me to be hassling many of you to play multiplayer. >x3

@Sega Topic:
Eh, Sega does not have very good business sense. I don't even only mean with this recent scheme, too...

Kyoe

working on it
Years
Thanks, everyone, for the input! I really appreciate it.

I thought they were going to release MHP3rd on the Vita? I played the PSP version, and it was pretty good.

Tbh, though, it's disappointing that it's been abandoned by Sony. I might still get one, since there are a number of games for it that interest me, but with the kind of hardware it has I had hoped it would've done better.

If I do decide to get one, expect me to be hassling many of you to play multiplayer. >x3

@Sega Topic:
Eh, Sega does not have very good business sense. I don't even only mean with this recent scheme, too...

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
Years
MHP3rd only got released on the PSP and PS3. The only Monster Hunter game on the Vita would be Frontier G. I don't believe there were any sort of plans to release PH3rd for the Vita since MH3G was released around the same time as the Vita was launched in Japan; at that time, they were probably already moving onto 4th Gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back