• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your opinion on online dating?

Years
Most of you guys might have a huge problem with it, but after being on Smashy Club and seeing relationships there that actually work out, I've seen it as more acceptable, and I wouldn't mind being in an online relationship myself.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
Years
There's no reason it can't work, it just tends not to more often than not. It's all a matter of how invested each side is.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
The first person I ever fell in love with was someone I met online, actually. It's not for everyone, of course. Twocows said it best. It really depends on how much both sides are invested and willing to give in to the relationship.

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Give it another five to ten years and online dating will be a normal thing alongside 'regular' dating and not something that gathers quizzical looks from those who tell it to their friends or whatever.
Like twocows said, it all depends on how much can be invested into the relationship, since it tends to require a lot more effort and willpower to be in one. It goes without saying that it requires a lot more trust as well.

The only reason online dating has been scrutinised so harshly is because it's born from the Big Scary Internet, which still instills fear & distrust in some people.

Sir Codin

The only reason online dating has been scrutinised so harshly is because it's born from the Big Scary Internet, which still instills fear & distrust in some people.
Some people, though, not everyone.

My dad keeps pestering me to get on online dating sites to find a girlfriend and he always says he wishes they were around when he was my age.

BatsyDarling

*✶вαтѕуdαяℓing ✶*
Years
It takes a lot of time, commitment and patience just like any other relationship except multiply that by 1,000. I know plenty of people who have been dating online that are now happily married, some of them even have children now. I've been in a couple of them when I was younger but they never lasted and I no longer have the patience for dating in general. I guess it just depends on the people, as long as it's not some creep trying to take advantage of the other person I have no problem with it.

Years
I think the boundaries between online and in-life dating are rapidly blurring. In yesteryears I imagine that online dating was much more removed from real life, being an option only taken by internet personalities like you or I. But nowadays with apps such as Tinder and Grindr, more people are looking for partners online. More interactions take place online, given busy schedules and the fact that it's become easier to hook up with people who live further from you. Technology enables us to cast a wider net and as more people take this approach the more accepted it'll be.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
Years
  • Seen Nov 26, 2020
It's only a waste of time if neither of the people want to make a commitment and want to make an effort to eventually meet and continue their life together. But I know people with a lot of great stories too. Those dating sites are just creepy though imo. The ones that I've seen more successful are like those people who were best friends online and had similar interests meeting from tumblr or a forum or whatever.

Lame story about my experience with it:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
As in like actual dating sites? sure. But as in just meeting on a weird forum and dating, no from experience.

Years
It depends on the type of internet dating. People in this thread are bringing up both:
  1. Meeting online and dating offline
  2. Meeting online and dating online.

I think the first one is becoming more widely accepted due to all the online dating services. However, some people still consider it with an air of desperation.

I met my husband on the forum of a band (the Butterfly Effect), which I decided to join after my first round of exams in year 12. It was very taboo at that time (2004), so I lied to my parents about how I knew him for a while (I think I came clean after 6 months of dating - my mum was not impressed).

Since you start dating physically, these relationships work out like any other and therefore are more likely to be successful. However, the second one I imagine mostly ends in failure. Long distance relationships do not seem easy, and I feel the older you become the more you want to have the physical intimacy of a relationship. Also I met a friend I made on a forum once (when I was 14-16 or so), and despite how well we got on online chatting and what not it was super awkward when we were there in the flesh. The same risk probably runs with online relationships that progress without meeting each other properly for a longer period.

Zaphkiel

~ Butter Knife ~
Years
There's really no problem with it imo. I think online relationships will work out somehow if both sides really is committed with each other or something like that.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
Years
i don't find a problem with it. i have to admit, i've met people online and i've fallen in love with. as long as you're both happy, that's all that matters. just be careful!

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
I spent 4years dating my wife when she was in taiwan and i America. During such met physically twice. She moved over here and we got married! i think it made us stronger imo. Met on fb actually. Lol

Reactions: Her

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 13, 2019
Online dating blows. Nobody ever replies to me on OkCupid. It's made me realize my mother lied when she told me I was the most handsome boy in the world, and now I need to see a therapist.

Granted, it's a little hard to be offline dating if, say, your sole real interest is reading physics textbooks, you don't listen to country, and you live in Texas. But I really don't feel emotionally capable of holding a non-physical relationship. I've given the trust to physically meet people I've met online, so that's not a gripe with me, as long as I can follow common sense meetup safety. But, in most situations I could conceive, I would be really repelled to keeping something online/long-distance. That seems to account for my bad luck so far with online dating. Maybe.

luo xiang

Ami Tuo Fo enlightenment
Years
Nope i don't like it.....well anyone who had a roblox account when they were younger (i don't play anymore) would see them EVERYWHERE
xD when I was on the lego NXT forums, we used to make fun of roblox all the time back in the day....lol...youth xD

anyways, online dating is not for the faint of heart lol

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Jul 24, 2020
They're nice, in my experience. Online relationships can involve just as much love an intimacy as you'd expect from real life relationships. Depending on the distance, they can be quite a challenge. (It's hard for young people to travel internationally, center huge life decisions around such large distances, etc)

I think my biggest complaint is how people seem to let themselves get caught up in cycles which lack progress via online dating.
Haven't voice chatted yet in a month of dating? Well it must be fine to go six months to a year without it! It's not important, I'm sure.
Sharing pictures? Not important~
Hey, hey! Let's not have serious disagreements or fights! Lets enjoy our time together since our hours are so far apart!
Oh, and since we're not beside one another physically, I'll go through extra effort to hide disatisfaction or hurt feelings and let them build up over time!​

Really, I think it's about finding someone who can match your virtues, display traits you find admirable, commit the time and effort to you, and just genuinely make a consistent effort to learn about you, what's important to you, provide you with a constant sense of feedback and communication. Grow with you as a person, stuff like that.

It's especially nice to have people in your life that try to match you abilities and ask you why you like the things that you do and indulge in your outlooks.

So yeah, that's my thoughts. If you can both make it work - may as well try for it. It's hard enough to find good friends as is, let alone a good romantic and sexual partner.

Though I will say this. I doubt that online dating will have become the norm in 10 years because in 10 years we'll likely see advanced virtual reality - including some AI that can mimic humans to a fair degree.
Assuming the projected exponential progress in technology. We will likely see Robo dating or entirely online based romance/sex based gigs over video games or online communities of the future.

Years
It's not something I really care for, to be honest. If people have ways to make relationships over the internet work, then that's actually pretty well done for them. I even read a story that one of my classmates last semester had over how she had an online relationship with someone she met while playing a game on her iPad...until she discovered a dark secret about him. D:

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
I tried it last year for a few months and it was honestly too painful. All my friends around me had their girlfriends there with them while I texted my LI (at the time) saying that I missed her and wanted to be with her. It ended amicably but it was tough.

I can't deny that it works for some people but it is just not for me.

Years
1. People are able to type things that aren't actually reflective of what they would express verbally.

2. I wish online dating site had video bios, perhaps a series of small clips answering questions.
(Basically, demeanor, personality, authenticity, confidence, quirks, confirms appearance, and forces someone to express themselves with verbalized words.)

3. The site should have a chat box, which opens a screen-to-screen chat window.

4. Basically, dating sites need to use the technology readily available to reflect real life dating, except with the bells and whistles of being able to quickly filter online by interests and expectations.

5. The lacking of "real-life" dating conventions is an issue. Do I call? When? Am I appearing disinterested? Am I appearing overzealous? How much to spend on a date? Kiss?

Because of this sometimes things go over well with one person whereas not with another person...and these are arbitrary things we're talking about.

6. Gay men are terrible. I've literally gone on dates where I refuse to sleep with them, had dates get angry or actually cry. Yes, I have had someone cry. Something is seriously wrong. Another thing I love, I offer to pay, then the date order the one thing on the menu over $50 and then goes on to talk about how the food isn't up to par. So, that describes the 20-27 age group, spoiled, flimsy, and sad. The 28+ group, is a newer thing for me, hoping for maturity, but then the stigma of the former group is attached to me, and/or I get the overzealous "daddy" types, when 1) clearly being 8 years older than me, you are ineligible to be a father 2) I have a father.

7. I may have lucked out. I met a great guy online, it's still too early to say, but I will be an optimist as online dating is pretty much the only option I have. I have already moved from online for now (thank God) , to in-person. Even though I have a good feeling about this one (a really good feeling), if for any reason, it doesn't work out, I am probably going to switch to something old school, like olde English old school, like matchmaking services.

That describes my mostly hateful, love-hate relationship with online dating.

Back