• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Get Your Reckless Emboar!

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
I'm starting to have some second thoughts on getting an Adamant Emboar, because I found a Smogon set that requires a Jolly nature but uses its normal ability. Would Jolly still work for Reckless Emboar?
That's probably better answered in the battle strategies forum. I personally don't have any usage information on Emboar in online battles.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
As with Serperior, I believe it's gender-locked at download, but can be received as male or female. Even so, you can breed a female anyway.

Actually Serperior ISN'T Gender locked: http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/497.shtml (I have one of each, both timid)

and neither is Emboar: http://www.serebii.net/events/dex/500.shtml

I'm starting to have some second thoughts on getting an Adamant Emboar, because I found a Smogon set that requires a Jolly nature but uses its normal ability. Would Jolly still work for Reckless Emboar?

I wouldn't always take Smogon as infallible (they STILL toute Extreme Speed Lineoone with Quick Feet, which is an impossible combination) 65 is a horrible speed stat so wasting 63 points on a stat that's horrible is only making it mediocre while robbing those stat points from somewhere it can actually be beneficial. (I personally put those points into its HP since that's it's second highest stat) before Reckless came out I was actually running a Brave Emboar with Hammer Arm because it also can learn Gyro Ball so you want to get your speed down as low as possible, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Reckless now since it gets benefit from a much different moveset than it did before.

Edit: the moveset I'm toying with at the moment is Flare Blitz, Head Smash and Wild Charge, I'm still nto sure what fighting move to go with because since I don't have Gyro Ball, there's no real point in Hammer Arm, but I may go with that anyway because it's already slower than anything of note that would go up against it,

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
You don't follow me. The suspicion is that, once downloaded, the gender is locked. It can be received in either gender. The experience of some people thus far has been that a female tends to appear for female characters, and a male for male characters.

Ah yes, I did experience that myself. My first one in Sapphire with my male character was always male, the second one in Ruby was always female (with the exception of my very first one because I wasn't paying attention) but I got 3 or 4 in a row that were female with my female character so I was wondering if that was a thing or not.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
I wouldn't always take Smogon as infallible (they STILL toute Extreme Speed Lineoone with Quick Feet, which is an impossible combination) 65 is a horrible speed stat so wasting 63 points on a stat that's horrible is only making it mediocre while robbing those stat points from somewhere it can actually be beneficial. (I personally put those points into its HP since that's it's second highest stat) before Reckless came out I was actually running a Brave Emboar with Hammer Arm because it also can learn Gyro Ball so you want to get your speed down as low as possible, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do with Reckless now since it gets benefit from a much different moveset than it did before.
Well according to current analysis from Smogon forums, a Jolly Emboar w/ Choice Scarf would outspeed most Pokémon in RU, and one of my Skype contacts also agrees that Jolly isn't too bad either, because being both slow and frail isn't a good combination, and speed is required.

Years
  • Age 45
  • Seen Oct 9, 2017
Well according to current analysis from Smogon forums, a Jolly Emboar w/ Choice Scarf would outspeed most Pokémon in RU, and one of my Skype contacts also agrees that Jolly isn't too bad either, because being both slow and frail isn't a good combination, and speed is required.

Not if its in a Trick Room team. And Choice Scarf isn't the be all and end all hold item, you have to keep switching Emboar out every time you need to switch a move.

Years
Took me many hours to get a good-natured contrary Serperior with outstanding IVs so now I'm going to be spending just as much, if not more, time on reckless Emboar. Guh wish me luck.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Dec 16, 2022
I only do competitive battling with simulators, but I might try using Reckless Emboar in a RU team and see how it works out. Already got it in game and haven't even touched it. The sheer ridiculous power of Contrary Serperior basically makes it one of the best starter Pokémon to use in battle.

Back