• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which was the Greatest Rival?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years

So gang, what are your favourite Rivals from the pokemon games, and why? If you've forgotten them, I'll provide a list of them:

Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow/LeafGreen/FireRed: Of course, your rival's name is Blue. He's the guy with spiky hair, is a constant jerk, and always leaves with his trade mark, 'smell ya later!'. He became the pokemon league champion before you, so, you have to have one final showdown with him in order to claim that title!

Pokémon Gold/Silver/Crystal/HeartGold/SoulSilver: Your rival is Silver this time, where he's... even more so of a jerk than Blue, and doesn't really care for how he uses his pokemon because he constantly thinks of pokemon has nothing but tools and always claiming that more power is important. He also has a hatred for team rocket. When you fight him on the Underground Basement in Goldenrod, he starts to question why he constantly loses, and soon realizes that maybe he have been treating his pokemon the wrong way. He gets better as time goes on, in which he treats his pokemon with more respect.

Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire: This time it's either May or Brendan, depending on what gender your character is. They're your next door neighbours as they are also trying to fill up the pokedex. We don't see much from them past Lilycove city, but we could call on them anytime! There's also Wally who meets up with you near the beginning where you help him catch a Ralts. Eventually you fight him near Victory Road for the last time.

Pokémon Diamond/Pearl/Platinum: Your rival is a kid named Barry who's your next door neighbour, but he's really impatient and likes to run a lot. You join him on trying to find Mesprit, until you two were attacked by wild pokemon, and quickly get out one of the starter pokemon to depend yourselves. You battle him several times, and in one time, you two team up to defeat two team galactic admins.

Pokémon White/Black: This time you get two rivals: Bianca and Cheren! Bianca is pretty clumsy and airheaded, but she adores pokemon, and loves to travel alongside them. Cheren is cool and calculated who battles you several times and was even able to get all 8 gym badges and defeat the Elite Four. But for some reason, he hates the cold (but really, who doesn't).

Pokémon White 2/Black 2: Your rival's name is Hugh here, where he liked to UNLEASH HIS RAGE and wants to put an end to Team Plasma, because they stole his sister's Purrloin. Other than that, he considers you to be his good partner!

Pokémon X and Pokémon Y: Four 'rivals' this time: Serena/Calem (depending on your gender), Tierno, Shauna, and Trevor. Serena/Calem wants to be really good and strong pokemon trainers, so they do that by battling you throughout the game to test their own skills, and they also help you battle Team Flare from time to time. Shauna wants to find a dream of her own, so, she travels on her journey to get really great memories. Tierno is a guy who likes to dance, and loves to watch pokemon's attacks, and Trevor wants to compete with you on finishing the pokedex first.

Sooo again, who is your favourite Rival, and why? What do you like about that rival in terms of personality, role in each of their represented game, and their pokemon?

Years
I think Hugh stands out to me, and no it's not because of how memetic and subject to that he's been, or because he's ABOUT TO UNLEASH HIS RAGE. No, it's because he actually has a motive for his adventure that's really driving him to beat Team Plasma. He really wants to beat them, and he isn't as much of a stalker, crackhead or flat-out nuisance as most other rivals.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
My most favorite rival will always be Blue, without a doubt.

Gary, which Blue is based off, is one of the anime characters I'm most fond of, so this might add a bit of bias-y here, but if we put this aside, I'm positive many of us would be able to agree that he quite a memorable rival. He is competitive, which is one aspect many of us look forward to in rivals, I assume, as they're... well, in a race against you at your journey.

Blue, unlike some other rival characters, had also made appearance in a good number of games--nine, if I'm not mistaken, including HeartGold and SoulSilver. If you ask me, that is definitely something. Due to similar reasons, I'm also a fan of Silver--he is a competitive fellow, and will do almost anything to top you.

Personally, I'm not sure if I like Barry too much, unfortunately. Although he does share some traits as above two, the way his overall personality is portrayed could come off as a bit of an annoyance in my eyes. If it weren't for this, I would have liked him better.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
My favorite rivals are always N, Silver, and Hugh. But honestly I still love all my rivals, it's just beating some characters(like May/Brendan and Wally, or Cheren) can make me feel bad for crushing their dreams. Silver's dreams can be fun to crush at the beginning. You have to teach N something, not a lot of Rivals learn from you. Hugh is just cool in my eyes. Sometimes fighting Blue gets annoying. And Lucas doesnt battle you enough or even show up enough imo. Calem made me feel a little bad to beat, but it still turned out ok I guess. .-. Trevor, Tierno and Shauna just seem to be there when you fight them. a little more personality on them would be nice, but I suppose they were still ok(really liked Shauna though.) and Lyra seems ok but I havn't battled her. ;)
But in all honestly I'm most like Barry. XD

My favorite rivals are always N, Silver, and Hugh. But honestly I still love all my rivals, it's just beating some characters(like May/Brendan and Wally, or Cheren) can make me feel bad for crushing their dreams. Silver's dreams can be fun to crush at the beginning. You have to teach N something, not a lot of Rivals learn from you. Hugh is just cool in my eyes. Sometimes fighting Blue gets annoying. And Lucas doesnt battle you enough or even show up enough imo. Calem made me feel a little bad to beat, but it still turned out ok I guess. .-. Trevor, Tierno and Shauna just seem to be there when you fight them. a little more personality on them would be nice, but I suppose they were still ok(really liked Shauna though.) and Lyra seems ok but I havn't battled her. ;)
But in all honestly I'm most like Barry. XD

spike6958

TCG Collector
Years
  • Age 35
  • UK
  • Seen Apr 30, 2021
For me it's between Blue and Silver. They are the only ones who, IMO actually feel like Rivals rather than just a friend you occasionally battle.
These two where always testing you, trying to show you how much better they are than you, instead of just wanting to battle for fun like the other rivals.
I think though I'd have to give it to Blue, because while Silver is awesome, he never feels like he's ever beating you.
Blue on the other-hand, despite how many times you fight against him and win, still has a way of making you feel second best, and that comes though even more so when you beat the E4, thought you where at last the champion, only to discover that he'd already done it and that you now had to fight him one last time to finally dethrone him. The feeling of satisfaction from beating Blue is something no other Pokemon League has ever been able to replicate.

Back