• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Favorite Pokemon Red/Blue Starter Pokemon?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Mine is Charmander. Fire was my favorite type when I first started playing Pokemon, and I've always been a fan of dragons. Even though Charizard isn't a dragon-type, it still looks dragon-like to me.

Though I do have a soft spot for Bulbasaur. I raised one to level 65 without ever evolving it, and made it to the Elite 4 with him.

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Although Bulbasaur is probably the niftiest looking starter, always went for Charmander.

mcminer2011

Leader of Team Amethyst
    Years
    • Seen Apr 15, 2015
    Mine's always been Charmander. Ever since I got FireRed that is. When I first started Gen 1 I had Pokemon yellow so I always had Pikachu. I never even got past Brock back then because I never had the right moves...

PokéMew1

Pokémon Fuchsia
    Years
  • Charmander too unoriginal. Bulbasaur, meh, I was never a fan of the grass starters. That leaves squirtle, being my favorite GenI Starter :P

Infamy

Also known as ShinySigma
    Years
  • I've always loved Charmander the best. I think the reason behind it is because Charizard was one of the first Pokemon I ever saw and it kinda got me into Pokemon to begin with.

d4rk

Oh my Arceus!
    Years
  • I've been trough roughly 20-30 parties of Pokemon RB as a child, and then as a teen.

The first times I chose Charmander because Fire and all that, then I had many Squirtles, and finally I discovered how much I love having a Venusaur in my team. Leech seed became my favourtie attack at the same moment.

So it'll definitely be Bulbasaur, even though I have much interest in the Squirtle line as well.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Surprised to see so much Squirtle love here, as I though Charmander was, by and above, the most popular one. {XD}

For me, Bulbasaur wins out, as the line has most of the tools to get you through the game. Charmander gets points in the looks department, though, but Fire isn't the greatest type in Gen 1. As for Squirtle... I like Starmie/Vaporeon/Gyarados/Lapras better, LOL. {XD}

Years
  • Bulbasaur is my favourite I always liked him. Squirtle is very handy especially at the start against Brock and Charmander is adorable and useful however I prefer other fire types over charmander.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
    Years
  • My first starter was Charmander in Blue, but I used Squirtle in FireRed, and I've used all three before in different games hacks or official. I have to say despite 4x weakness to Rock, gotta love Charmander. It's one of my favorite colors and has fire on it's tail, Fire types are my second favorite, and it's just so cute. Pikachu in Yellow is ok but I hate not bejng able to evolve it and still have them follow you.
    Squirtle is a close second, as he got me through many hard times in FR, but I'm still not that big a fan of Venusaur. I even used one in Y, but..... Well they aren't too cute(I prefer Ivysaur) and I don't really like all of it's moves(but Leech Seed.... Yes....) but I'm sure I might like then better in Red/Blue, seeing as I've onlh used him in Y and Yellow, once in RB but I lost that game before going to Viridian Forest.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
  • When I was a little kid, I just went with the cool looking pokemon. I thought Charmander looked the coolest, so I picked him. I was just like any mainstream kid who loves Charmander. I'm a pretty hipster person, so I hate mainstream ideas.

Only extraordinary that are really love will grab my attention. Now, when I think about it, I'm sorry to say I don't like all three. I know loads of people are against that, but yeah.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2015
    Mine was and will always be charmander. Red was the first pokemon game I ever played and I started with charmander. I always loved charmander and its evolutions ever since. I still like the bulbasaur and squirtle, but I'll always prefer charmander

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2022
    when i was 7 and got my first game i started squirtle! when i played my first rom on pc(age 15-16) i prefered charmender!
    nowadays i always pick bulbasaur on firered/leafgrean=)!

Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2015
    Bulbasaur. I was the hipster. I got crushed by everyone because they had Charmander. I still love the grass type!

DarkSkys

Still Alone, Still Alive, Still Unbroken
    Years
  • Out of the Gen 1 games, Yellow was my first. But got Red & Blue later on and in both I chose Charmander which is where my love for Fire types began.

Back